Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Best pads for high speed stops.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2015, 03:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best pads for high speed stops.

My car is used for drag racing only. Last week I discovered that my brakes are no longer up to the task of stopping my car from high speeds. The factory pads and drilled/slotted rotors are shot.

My question is: what pads will work well during a 150+mph stops?
I was considering a street pad like Hawk hps or even the Endless pads.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 05:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 355 Likes on 240 Posts
I've used carbotech xp8 pads for street and the track. They have great cold bite and haul the car down quickly. Get the shims though. If not they will vibrate and screech like 1000 nails on a chalkboard.
My buddy used them on his dsm also. He traps over 150 and these brakes work well for him. They dust a lot and are hard on rotors. That's the way it is if you want an aggressive pad.

Last edited by Abacus; Mar 28, 2015 at 05:35 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 06:52 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Suggestion: Post this up or search in the Drag forum
Old Mar 29, 2015, 11:32 AM
Evolving Member

Thank you sir. I will look in them. Any other suggestions or experience on pads for these conditions?
Old Mar 30, 2015, 07:16 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
brakes are really subjective. For outright stopping power, you should look into race (track) pads. The downside is that race pads can be loud, dusty, and corrsive; all depends on what brand and compound you go with. A favorite of mine are the Raybesto ST-43. Great brake torque, relative quiet for street use compare to others, and not as corrosive as Hawk DTC pads. Hawk DTC60 and 70 are also really really good tho.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 08:28 AM
Evolving Member

I don't really want to sacrifice drivability while increasing stopping power so I have it narrowed down to the AX6 and the HPS pads.
Rotors and fluid decisions are done. I'm looking for around 40% increase in fade resistance over oem Brembo pads and standard fluid.
My problem is finding a pad with a very wide operating temp due to the car being DD and making single high speed shut downs. I don't have time to warm them up before using them.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 08:53 AM

Get stickier tires if you can.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 09:30 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
You'd probably be fine with a very high teir street/track pad. I don't think you need a full on race pad because drag racing is one and done, plenty of time for the brakes to cool, even if you're "hot lapping" the strip. Something like EBC blue or racing brake ET800, and centric/powerslot slotted rotors.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 11:23 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The new Hawk Street/Race pads will likely meet those needs, as they operate 100-1300 degrees. Hawk designed these for weekend warriors, who double duty their cars and don't want to constantly swap pads.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 02:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Best option would be two sets, one street one track. Their street/race pads would be your best "Jack of all trades" option.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rstchris
My car is used for drag racing only. Last week I discovered that my brakes are no longer up to the task of stopping my car from high speeds. The factory pads and drilled/slotted rotors are shot.

My question is: what pads will work well during a 150+mph stops?
I was considering a street pad like Hawk hps or even the Endless pads.

#1 - toss your rotors
Get blanks - the slots and holes reduce the surface area for the pad to stop so you effectively reduced your braking

#2 - Alignment
Better alignment = better tire surface area = better braking

#3 - Get better tires
Tires are the only thing that makes your car go, stop and turn better. You can only brake as good as your tires will allow

#4 - pads
I think the minimum pad you will want is:
Hawk HP+
Carbotech 1521
PSA: every brand has an equivalent pad for a given purpose (i.e. track, autocross, racing, endurance racing); so the saying that brand x is better than brand y is a farce.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

My alignment and tires are a non issue. I'm not sliding to a stop and I run the car on stickies anyway.
I have decided on hawk hps pads and wilwood high temp fluid. We'll see how that does.
Anyone have any input on removing the heat shields?
Old Apr 17, 2015, 10:17 AM

If its mostly track stuff, love me some good brembo blank rotors and ST43 pads. If it street too, can probably still get away with ST43, jsut not in colder climates, but might want to look more towards a slightly less track oriented compound.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rstchris
My alignment and tires are a non issue. I'm not sliding to a stop and I run the car on stickies anyway. I have decided on hawk hps pads and wilwood high temp fluid. We'll see how that does. Anyone have any input on removing the heat shields?
Why are you removing the heat shields?

Are you getting ducted heat shields?

The heat shields are there to keep your ballpoints from melting
Old Apr 18, 2015, 08:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
If you are only trying to stop at the end of a 1/4 mile I would stay away from the higher end race pads as they tend to only start to really bite once they are hot. They clamp like crazy once they do, but it takes a little bit.

A few people already suggested, but a good street / track pad would probably be your best bet. Maybe a Carbotech AX6 or similar that has good inital bite. I have had great luck with Carbotech stuff so far (bunch of reviews here http://upshiftracing.com/product-reviews/).

I don't think rotors are really going to make any difference at a drag strip, for you lighter is probably better but that is all you'd need to care about.

Quick Reply: Best pads for high speed stops.