Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Is this feasible regarding brembo calipers respray?

Old Apr 15, 2015, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Is this feasible regarding brembo calipers respray? edit: with update

My Brembo’s are starting to peal the lacquer off them. The original red enamel is still in reasonably good condition, not too faded and the brembo stickers seem to be still in ok condition. So I am thinking of scraping off all the lacquer, most you can get off just with your finger nail it’s so flakey. Then I’m thinking of rubbing down the red enamel with some 600 wet and dry. Not sure if I need to do this. Then masking off the rotor and surrounding area and then spraying some clear VHT calibre paint for a couple of coats onto the calliper. Not sure how many coats though
Do you think that would work out ok and bring them back up to shiny condition?

Last edited by Jonno99; Apr 28, 2015 at 10:40 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 03:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i'm in the same boat.
i'd like to apply some hi temp clear coat, since the original paint looks ok, especially when i wash the car.
have anyone gone this route?
Old Apr 21, 2015, 04:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There are several how to"s for painting calipers here.
1)Don't paint them on the rotor is rule 1.
2) they need to be sanded to get the old clear coat off.
3) the paint needs to be scuffed so the new clear will adhere.
4) buy new stickers off ebay--the hi-temp ones if you need them
Old Apr 21, 2015, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

I've just done the back two calipers and they have come up real well, 95% like new. All I have done is scrape the clear peeling laquer away with my finger nail and a plastic scraper and recoated 3 times with VHT clear. I'm moving on to the front, bit more tricky as they are larger and show more. I'll take some pics when they are finished
Old Apr 28, 2015, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

so this is how it turned out

some of my findings: Real Red in VHT caliper paint doesn't match, its alot brighter then the OEM bass red paint but I used it anyway to just touch up paint chips. I used a sharp scalpel to scrape off all the old lacquer, alot even came off with my finger nail, this is the most important part of the process, take your time like a surgeon and scratch away, I was even able to lift off the lacquer on the brembo sticker without damaging the sticker under it, takes a steady hand and time. The VHT clear coat caliper paint is reasonably forgiving as long as I didnt over spray the coats. I started off with two lights and one heavy as per the tin directions. Also I used 1200 grit paper to rub down the surface after I scraped off all excess lacquer. If it went orange peel I used some cut polish to smooth it out and get a shine. I havnt bothered doing any baking, I'll go out for a drive and warm up the brakes for an hour and see how it goes. Another thing is I feel that its important, is not to leave the caliper with the lacquer peeling for very long as the red enable will sooner then later fade and get stone chips easier and then you are in the crap. Need that clear coat on asap to protect it otherwise it will be a full strip and enamel respray job

Note the round punch on the bottom of the brake has a different brighter red colour, this is the real red VHT paint i used to touch it up with. I didn't want to go through every VHT colour trying to match it, so just did it with the one I had already bought

Last edited by Jonno99; Apr 28, 2015 at 10:17 PM.