Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

2 piece rotor resurfaced

Old Apr 29, 2015, 08:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2 piece rotor resurfaced

I have 2 part rotors on my 9 mr. Not sure the make since they were on the car when I got it. There floating drilled and slotted. I had an occasional vibration before resurfacing them. Now it's annoying to even drive. I have done a great deal of research on and off the forums to find if you can or can't resurface 2 parts or drilled and slotted. The place I took them is really experienced with my type of rotor and said they just have to go slow on that type. I cant find a definitive answer with some sort of backing to whether a. You can resurface or can't and b. If the hardware not being changed Can cause the vibration. I replaced the pads with ferodo 2500s applied greas and everything. I'm low on cash so I'm not trying to buy hardware to find I just need new rotors. Any input is greatly appreciated. If they need replaced I'm probably going the get the cheapest possible to handle this issue as of the moment.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 08:32 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 723 Likes on 566 Posts
Do some searching here or google, vibration is almost never an issue with a warped rotor.

You only need to turn if you have deep grooves.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 09:25 AM

I got them turned because I needed new pads and they had a half decent lip on the rotor ring. It was recommended to me and I researched to resurface them if this was the case. I realize typically its brake deposits that cause that, but they had just been turned and I know I bedding them correctly. I am unsure of what else it could be.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
What was your process for bedding the pads? Im with Dallas here rotors rarely warp these days especially a higher quality 2 piece rotor which dissipates heat even better.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 07:58 PM

I live in a neighborhood so I was going to leave my neighborhood at 15 to 20 mph and applied the brakes at about 50%. Then I would accelerate to 40 brake 50% down to 15 to 20. Speed up 40, about 4 to 5 seconds, and repeat. I did this maybe 50 times. I also find it weird that they would warp but I'm not sure what else it could be. btw the bedding was instructed by ferodo, I did what the instructions said for proper bedding.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 08:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Rotors likely aren't warped. Its usually uneven pad deposits..
Old Apr 29, 2015, 08:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Can you explain the vibration any better, and do you see any uneven or abnormal wear on any of the rotors, including the rears?
Old Apr 30, 2015, 04:59 AM

Didn't do they rear because they still have decent life left on pads. at slow Speers I just feel the brake pedal slightly move up and down. On the highway my entire car shakes violently. And although this isn't the case, the way I describe high speed breaking is it feels like my tires are literally shaking left to right really fast.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Shaking violently doesn't sound like brakes to me. I'd get the car up in the air ASAP and check all ball joints, wheel bearings, end links, etc.. You can even do a quick check, just go out and grab onto your wheel and try and essentially rip it off the car with the car on the ground. If the wheel bearing is bad you'll probably feel some motion. You should feel none.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:05 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by blockade35
Shaking violently doesn't sound like brakes to me. I'd get the car up in the air ASAP and check all ball joints, wheel bearings, end links, etc.. You can even do a quick check, just go out and grab onto your wheel and try and essentially rip it off the car with the car on the ground. If the wheel bearing is bad you'll probably feel some motion. You should feel none.

shaking violently only when on the brakes, sounds like brakes. My car was doing the same thing when I had EBC red stuff pads on it. They left gnarly deposit on the rotors, felt like the car was coming apart when moderately braking above 70mph..
Old May 1, 2015, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
shaking violently only when on the brakes, sounds like brakes. My car was doing the same thing when I had EBC red stuff pads on it. They left gnarly deposit on the rotors, felt like the car was coming apart when moderately braking above 70mph..
Ya i agree with you here. I checked all joints when I had the very occasional minor vibration when I first bought it. Everything is fine there. I have cheap blank rotors coming in today. They also came with junk pads so I'll try the rotors and if it continues I'll try the cheap pads on the 2 piece and see if that fixes it. I don't think it's my pads though.
Old May 2, 2015, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
With new rotors, if it comes back on hard braking then it is your pads.
Old May 3, 2015, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by barneyb
With new rotors, if it comes back on hard braking then it is your pads.
New blanks put on. Bedded them same way and have driven it maybe 25 miles since then with some spirited driving. Zero issue.
Old May 3, 2015, 08:32 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
deglaze the rotors and see if it goes away. if so, it's pad deposit. as mentioned above: rotors almost never warp.
if you take them to a shop and they put it on the lathe, they should also be able to check that the hats aren't bent.
i'm assuming the bedding method is the one suggested by the pad manufacturer?
Old May 3, 2015, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by mikebuff35
New blanks put on. Bedded them same way and have driven it maybe 25 miles since then with some spirited driving. Zero issue.
It sounds like a fix to me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2 piece rotor resurfaced