Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Not so Advanced Auto...7 different lug nuts none fit.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2015, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not so Advanced Auto...7 different lug nuts none fit.

As I am wrapping up getting my Evo 8 back on the road I could not decide on a wheel so went back to stock for now. I needed new lug nuts so I went to my local "Advanced Auto". They looked up my car 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 8 2.0T.

They listed 8 totally different lug nut. Confidance is low. So I turn to my trusted source mobile EvolutionM.net and within a minute I have the correct size, pitch etc.

They stock 3......3.

So I say can I try one and I take it outside put the washer on and place the lug nut through the hole. It sits flush (or maybe almost flush) with the back of the wheel.

The lug nuts are Doorman (maybe Door is lug in Japaese) Doorman M12-1.50.

When I finally got them all some seem to fit flush to the back of the wheel and others don't. The lugs themselves do not seem like the factory ones, but I can't remember exactly. These lugs have a bit of play inside the whole after the nut and washer where the lug part goes through the smaller hole.

I hope this makes since. I will try to attach 2 pics. If i can only do 1 it will be of the lug going through the back go the wheel.

I guess you can figure out what the problems is but for those who are tired....the wheels don't fit tight.

I don't have a Mitsubishi dealer around me so I need to figure out what lugs fit.

Now Doorman makes lug nuts for 100s of factory cars and for lug nut company's who white label them for resale.

My guess is they are 1/2 the thickness of the washer to long. So if the washer is 5mm thick 1/2 of 5mm = 2.5mm So If got one that was 7.5mm then the longer lugs would fit. (Disclaimer: I just made up washer thickness for ease of math.

I looked through the archives lots on lug nut sizes. Several people claiming 12 1.25 is the right lug. There's my 1/2.

It's late but I could use some help.

Thanks

Pete
Attached Thumbnails Not so Advanced Auto...7 different lug nuts none fit.-image.jpg  
Old Jul 22, 2015, 12:39 AM

Exclamation Lug view from inside the wheel.

Looking at the lug from the back of the wheel....there's a lot of extra room in there. The lug does stick out but it's hard to hold my ipad, the wheel and the lug nut and take a picture.

Attached.

Amazon sells some racing lugs for "My Car" but they don't have washers. They are 2/3 the price of the OEM lugs and less unsprung weight. Hey Ferrari spends millions shaving oz

Thanks guys
Attached Thumbnails Not so Advanced Auto...7 different lug nuts none fit.-image.jpg  
Old Jul 22, 2015, 01:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
I have used lugs I found on ebay. They fit well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20pc-OE-Mag-Style-Lug-Nuts-with-Washer-12x1-5-for-Stock-Mitsubishi-Silver-/331209412471?hash=item4d1d9e8f77
Old Jul 22, 2015, 01:39 AM

Deylag

Thanks for the quick reply. I need my car ready to get inspected Saturday. USPS has that deal where if you can fit it in the box or envelope its a fixed price no matter the weight. They have a packing envelope with bubble wrap. i just tried one and they would all fit for around $10.00 and they would get here Friday. I can pay via PayPal.

You can check for yourself they would be shipped to 22724. Whatever I can do to help let me know.

You don't happen to have a set on red JDM style taillights in that parts bin do you.

Thanks

Pete
Old Jul 22, 2015, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Go to Napa and look through their parts book.

They have OE-replacement lugs but they're not the listed part. Just ask to look through the book and compare pictures of the stock lug.

I can guarantee they have an identical one because that's what I did
Old Jul 24, 2015, 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
These work also, and are necessary if you run extended lugs with the stock wheels. Unfortunately I sold the ones I had already:

http://www.ezaccessory.com/Toyota_Le.../98-0003oe.htm
Old Jul 25, 2015, 12:55 PM

SOLVED: Evo VIII - Not all Evo lug nuts are created.

So I went to NAPA and they pulled up the same lug nuts as Advance Auto....the kind that dont fit. They say they will fit but they are 1/16th" to long. No anyone with forward facing eyes and enough fingers to install wiper blade can work at Advance Auto but NAPA requires you have some knowledge of the automobile.

I show him a picture of the lug nut and tell him they have a stamped pattern that hold the washers on....oh like Toyota. He had 33 in stock ( AA had 3 that didn't fit). I wish I could have heard back about the used one because they were $85.00.

Big thank you to everyone who replied. This board has really matured from when I first joined and there is a wealth of info on here. The search actually works too...a nice touch.

OH YEAH.....

Anyone used that VHT peel paint on their Evo 8 Enki wheels? I was thinking about painting mine flat or satin black and this seems like a great way to make sure I like the looks.

❗❗❗A WORD OF CAUTION ❗❗❗

This is a public service annoucement. its not a flame I am merely concered. I saw a lot of post about lug nuts and spacers that were very scary. The worst had a guy putting washers between his wheel and the rotor for a wider stance. Another guy swore it was OK to use the acorn style nuts because his had not fallen off yet. they will though after they wear through the rim, because they are for steel wheels.

The Evo's wheels, lug nuts, rotor etc are designed to work together. You must use a lug nut designed for the Evo's wheel. Unless you have after market wheels. Anything else is risking your life and anyone around you. I saw a Honda civic on I 95 near DC and he blasts past me (I was doing 90). Then he has to slow for traffic. He had different lug nuts (this was a first for me) for each stud. Well at ~ 70mph his RDS wheel came off. I am not sure he knew until his rotor bounce off the road.

Moral of this story. You can buy cheap oil cheap batteries, etc but dont spend more on your neon kit than your tires, brakes, and wheels. They make you go stop and steer..I think it's called driving.

Be safe!

Lug nuts, VIII, 8, studs, bolts, spacers, washers, Enki