Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Bilstein not rebuilding OEM Evo IX MR shocks??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2017, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Indeed I can; anything in particular you'd like to know?
Old Feb 20, 2017, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Raptord
Indeed I can; anything in particular you'd like to know?
It seems like you have all the options from Fat Cat, so how is the ride on street and performance during hard driving? I'd like to have the ride as close to stock bilsteins as possible, but performance of a decent coilover
Old Feb 21, 2017, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lv05evo
It seems like you have all the options from Fat Cat, so how is the ride on street and performance during hard driving? I'd like to have the ride as close to stock bilsteins as possible, but performance of a decent coilover
So, after driving on them for longer after my initial impression, I think my first impression was somewhat biased since I had been driving on borrowed KYBs for the few months that my Bilsteins were away being rebuilt. After I got back in the "groove" of driving my car, I started to question just how much the ride was better than the Bilsteins were originally, and frankly I'm not sure anymore. I really wish I could drive my car back-to-back with the Bilsteins before and after getting their work done, because I'm not sure there'd be as big of a difference as I'd like to think. The street behavior is excellent, but it's hard to tell if it's better than it already was before.

As for track driving, this is even harder to notice differences because there was a whole year of downtime between track days before/after revalve. Here as well I can't say I felt any major differences compared to how I remember the Bilsteins feeling before being worked on. I didn't see any improvement in lap time either, however I'm likely not consistent enough of a driver yet to use lap times as an indicator. Also, there were a number of small things that changed on the car besides the revalve from one year to the next, so it's not a perfect comparison anyways.

When I contacted Fat Cat, I was basically hesitating between getting the Bilsteins revalved with all the upgrades, or getting Ohlins for a comparable price. I decided to take a chance on the revalve despite people raving about Ohlins so much, but if I had to do it again, I think I might opt for the Ohlins.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by lv05evo
See if Fat Cat has any shock dyno info for their Bilstein revalves. Don't go off of someone's subjective 'feel'.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 11:43 AM
Rom
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just to update on my situation, I finally got the engine together, and will be doing my first start this week - so the suspension project has been on hold. I will be using the KWv3's I got though, so not really going to be able to provide feedback on the Fatcat conversion I was originally going to do...

Thanks!

S.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nemsin
See if Fat Cat has any shock dyno info for their Bilstein revalves. Don't go off of someone's subjective 'feel'.
These are the before vs after shock dynos for my shocks.

Bilstein not rebuilding OEM Evo IX MR shocks??-z8jp5rp.png

Bilstein not rebuilding OEM Evo IX MR shocks??-uwa8um6.png
Old Feb 22, 2017, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
How does that dyno chart compare to a semi-sports car like the 3-series BMW's? good lord they soak up bumps way better for normal driving

talking for street ride quality, suspension itself feels way more planted in spirited driving,

Last edited by llDemonll; Feb 22, 2017 at 07:56 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have been totally underwhelmed by 3-series BMW suspensions including M-suspension option other than M-cars, Yes, they are kind of nice on pretty good surfaces barring the run flats. On rougher surfaces they can't keep their wheels on the ground and the traction control starts hunting. If you slightly pour on speed on windy California back roads my kids in the back seat get sick and the car totally looses composure (that's n an E92 chassis).

The Evo (IX MR) on the other hand is a little bit rough on city streets - much better with Robispec springs at low speeds - and never looses composure once you up the speed. Never had complaints from my kids in the back seat ... much more comfortable on back roads than the BMW all around.

Originally Posted by llDemonll
How does that dyno chart compare to a semi-sports car like the 3-series BMW's? good lord they soak up bumps way better for normal driving

talking for street ride quality, suspension itself feels way more planted in spirited driving,
Old Mar 19, 2017, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Just buy some Bislten HD's from Tire Rack, it's what I did.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 08:14 PM
Rom
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by alleggerita
I have been totally underwhelmed by 3-series BMW suspensions including M-suspension option other than M-cars, Yes, they are kind of nice on pretty good surfaces barring the run flats. On rougher surfaces they can't keep their wheels on the ground and the traction control starts hunting. If you slightly pour on speed on windy California back roads my kids in the back seat get sick and the car totally looses composure (that's n an E92 chassis).

The Evo (IX MR) on the other hand is a little bit rough on city streets - much better with Robispec springs at low speeds - and never looses composure once you up the speed. Never had complaints from my kids in the back seat ... much more comfortable on back roads than the BMW all around.
My E90 M3 at the track on full sports mode (has the M dynamic suspension - supposed to be their best), still feels way too soft - totally destroys confidence IMHO. I definitely am looking at changing out the suspension on my M3 too.