Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Enkei RPF1 17" (9.0) VS IX OEM BBS

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2016, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Enkei RPF1 17" (9.0) VS IX OEM BBS

Hi guys,

Firstly, Correct me if I am wrong, the Stock BBS are 8.0" (not 8.5 as some claim) +35 offset?
These are the wheel I have on now.

In Aus, the Enkei RPF1 seems to be the wheel of choice and are very popular. over the years I have noticed many had wanted to trade them for stock wheels.
A few times I had contemplated but never went through with any swaps as I personally find the design/pattern of the wheel looks a bit odd.

Now my Question is, will it be worthwhile to trade OEM BBS with ENKEI RPF1s?

I've always wanted wider aftermarket black wheels and would like to ditch the idea of spacers (which I currently have 15mm equipped also) but as I'm sure you are all aware the OEM BBS are pretty hard to beat in terms of lightweight and performance.

Thanks
Old Feb 7, 2016, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
What do you want the RPFs for? Are you worried about weight or putting more rubber to the ground? there will probably be fender work required with 9 inch
Old Feb 7, 2016, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jonno99
What do you want the RPFs for? Are you worried about weight or putting more rubber to the ground? there will probably be fender work required with 9 inch
Hi Jonno,

As mentioned, I had always wanted a set of black wheels instead of the grey BBS color.
The BBS as stock sits too far in the guards, looks kinda silly. So the spacers have made it look almost flush with the top guard, but spacers aren't really permitted here.

My wheel of preference is not Enkeis and I'd prefer other brands such as volks/rays and Work wheels instead but am wondering if it's a worthwhile swap that's all
Old Feb 7, 2016, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Just for the sake of going black rims I wouldnt, look up the weight on both, you'll be adding more unsprung weight but if you were tracking and wanted more rubber, I'd def go the RPF's. I want to get some RPFs for track use with r spec rubber and keeping the standards for road.
Why not plastidip your standards and see what they look like
Old Feb 7, 2016, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
17x9 rpf's are lighter than stock bbs's.

They are an awesome and cheap rim.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 04:23 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
IIRC, the BBS are forged, the Enkeis are cast (though it's a better process than most cast wheels). i think the BBS wheel is 17.7lbs ea, while the RPF 17x9 is less than 16lbs.
i run a 17x9.5+38 with a 255 tire. i rolled the fenders. the 17x9+35 with a 245 tire probably won't fit without rolling. if you end up having to roll anyway, you can go with a 255 tire, if you wanted.
you will need a spacer on the front.
if you are swapping wheels for color, i'd just paint the OEM wheels. oh, and i agree that the RPF looks kinda odd unless they are wide or have a really low offset.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 05:18 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by wowzers
Hi guys,

Firstly, Correct me if I am wrong, the Stock BBS are 8.0" (not 8.5 as some claim) +35 offset?
FYI. Stock= 17x8 +38
Old Feb 7, 2016, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
IIRC, the BBS are forged, the Enkeis are cast (though it's a better process than most cast wheels). i think the BBS wheel is 17.7lbs ea, while the RPF 17x9 is less than 16lbs.
i run a 17x9.5+38 with a 255 tire. i rolled the fenders. the 17x9+35 with a 245 tire probably won't fit without rolling. if you end up having to roll anyway, you can go with a 255 tire, if you wanted.
if you are swapping wheels for color, i'd just paint the OEM wheels. oh, and i agree that the RPF looks kinda odd unless they are wide or have a really low offset.
What size of spacer up front for your 9.5 set up as opposed to OP running 17x9.

OP I would say run the 17x9. The car will look better with a moderately aggressive size wheel. The 9.5 I don't recommend because you'll add more weight from the wheels and tires.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 06:33 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Astro_Train

OP I would say run the 17x9. The car will look better with a moderately aggressive size wheel. The 9.5 I don't recommend because you'll add more weight from the wheels and tires.
20mm. My 9.5 wheel is .42lbs or so more than a 9". If only going for looks, I'd go with the lighter wheel just because. Tires will be cheaper, too.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Here you go. This guy ran the 17x9 +35. Either way you'll need a 20 mm spacer. So your effective offset will be +15. But a bit easier to run on a 9 inch wheel versus 9.5. My only suggestion to below tire is to run a 245 or 255/40 as opposed to a 45 profile. Less chance to rub.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...s-finally.html
Old Feb 7, 2016, 09:02 PM
kaj

Here you go. This guy ran the 17x9 +35. Either way you'll need a 20 mm spacer. So your effective offset will be +15. But a bit easier to run on a 9 inch wheel versus 9.5. My only suggestion to below tire is to run a 245 or 255/40 as opposed to a 45 profile. Less chance to rub.

True. The 9" wheel will stick out 10mm less the 9.5. 👍
If you're not going for all-out rubberage, I'd go 9".
Old Feb 9, 2016, 02:58 AM
Evolving Member

Hi All,

Thanks very much for the responses. Its always a pleasure to see helpful responses from helpful people who are wanting to help.

If no one here minds, Ill quoted a few replies to keep the discussion constructive

Originally Posted by Jonno99
Just for the sake of going black rims I wouldnt, look up the weight on both, you'll be adding more unsprung weight but if you were tracking and wanted more rubber, I'd def go the RPF's. I want to get some RPFs for track use with r spec rubber and keeping the standards for road.
Why not plastidip your standards and see what they look like
Well i havent yet seen plasti dip BBS on spacers, but i have seen powder coated OEM BBS sitting standard in the wheel arch, but unfortunately it still looks pretty boring .

Originally Posted by kaj
To my knowledge, i thought the 17" would not require guard rolling, only the 18"s required it. unless yours is lowered without a camber?

if the 17" 9.0 RPF1 are less than 16 LBS, then what are the 9.5?

Im fairly new to rim upgrades, so the forged Aluminium is superior to the Cast Aluminium (sorry in US its Aluminum)

yeah the design of RPF1 isnt what i desire, its just that many people have asked for swaps with Stock BBS... so i figured that maybe the OEM's have some sort of value And you know how it is when you didnt end up doing something and later on down the track you often wonder; 'Hmmm maybe i shouldve'
That was the aim of my initial quesiton, whether they are a good trade with BBS. If not, for e.g 'Theyre of an inferior design', 'theyre not worth anywhere near as much as stock BBS' etc etc... then id lay it to rest and never think about them again or would never swap despite if the opportunity came up again.

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
FYI. Stock= 17x8 +38

Thanks, much appreciated. These figures you've provided will be a great guide to compare.

Astro Train,
well i saw the picture of the gunmetal evo with 9.0 and to be honest i dont like the way it looks. Especially with wider/spacers at the front. One of my main goals is to remove the spacers as they are illegal here.

9.0 looks almost the same as what i have now (BBS with 15mm Spacers), id like to have something that wouldnt sit too much wider but definately not any closer or it would defeat the purpose.

heres pics for that comparision:

My last query is for the RPF1, if 17" x 9.5 +25 RPF1 for e.g requires spacers, then is that the concept for all other rims such as Works & Volk Rays or is it dependant on spoke designs? e.g RPF1 (17" x9.5 + 25) requires spacers... the Work Emotions 17"x9.5 + 25 does not ???

Many thanks guys.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

If you do not like the way RPFs look than DON'T bother with them. Yes performance is important on a street car but so are looks to most folks.. as far as being a fair trade I would say yes for OEM wheels because IMO OEM BBSss are decent looking at best.. but some folks here will argue that.

You are at effective offset of +23 with your current spacers on your OEM BBS. So I recommend you go with some Gram Lights and just keep your OEM wheels. They are your best bang for the buck.. yes they are cast but most of their 17 inch set ups will clear the Brembos up front with no spacers.

Let me do some research or you can look on Rays site and look up the specs on wheels..

As for the Works... they are heavier wheels than both OEM and RPF1 and unless you are going for looks I wouldn't bother with them... I say this because weight to performance trade off compared to what you have now was one of your questions...That is my 2 cents on them.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
@wowzers,

You are right
Wheel with same spec, say 17x9.0+35, Enkei RPF1 and PF01 does not have the same brake caliper clearance
RPF1 will require spacer to clear brake caliper while PF01 does not
It all depend on the design of the spoke/face
If using spacer is illegal, running RPF1 is pretty much a non option then

As for arch rolling, it have nothing to do with the diameter of the wheel
It have everything to do with JJ, offset and tyre height
IE:
245/40/18 and 245/45/17 will give the same tyre height/outer diameter hence their fitment is about same
JJ is the width of your wheel while offset is how far the hub mounting surface have moved from the wheel centerline.
0 offset means you hub mounting surface is same as wheel centerline while + offset means hub mounting surface is closer to the outer edge of the wheel while - offset means hub mounting surface is closer to the inner edge of wheel

TL;DR: JJ, offset and tyre OD determine your fitment. More aggressive setup require arch rolling, fender bolt relocation etc.

For a stock unrolled guard, a conservative fitment would be 17x8.5+30 or 18x8.5+30 paired with 2345/45/17 or 245/45/17 or 235/40/18 or 245/40/18
More aggressive(may need rolling) fitment would be 17x9.0+35 or 18x9.0+35 with 255/40/17 or 255/35/18

Hope this post help
Old Feb 9, 2016, 12:09 PM
kaj

Here are the Enkei sizes and weights:
http://enkei.com/shop/racing/rpf1/
Click on "size chart".

Here are my wheels on the car. I run -2.8° front and -1.6° rear camber. My ride height is effective, but doesn't look awesome. I just looked and definitely had to roll the rears. One could go hella stretched and street-sweeper camber and be fine, I'd imagine.

Quick Reply: Enkei RPF1 17" (9.0) VS IX OEM BBS