Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

E-brake Adjustable?

Old Apr 22, 2016, 11:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E-brake Adjustable?

Seems like my e-brake has gotten pretty weak over the years. If I'm on any type of slanted surface, it's not 'grabby' enough to keep my car from rolling. Anyone know if the e-brake can be adjusted?

2003 Evolution VIII w/ 154,000 miles
Old Apr 22, 2016, 11:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Typically there are adjustments under the center console where the cable connects to the handle. Although this is just experience from previous cars I have owned.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 11:39 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Yup,

The E-brake handle has a nut on the bottom part of it that can be tighten to increase friction force on the rear drums. It's easiest to get to by unscrewing two philips head screws inside your center compartment and poping that off.

If it's already full tight, then you have to tighten the brakes by removing the rear rotors and adjusting a spring inside the drum. Odds are you don't have to do this.

Cable stretch is unavoidable and will happen over time.

-pal215
Old Apr 22, 2016, 12:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Pal215
Yup,

The E-brake handle has a nut on the bottom part of it that can be tighten to increase friction force on the rear drums. It's easiest to get to by unscrewing two philips head screws inside your center compartment and poping that off.

If it's already full tight, then you have to tighten the brakes by removing the rear rotors and adjusting a spring inside the drum. Odds are you don't have to do this.

Cable stretch is unavoidable and will happen over time.

-pal215
You don't have to remove the rotors. There is a rubber plug on the wheel mount surface of the rotor, you pop it out and it gives you access to the star wheel to adjust the shoes.
The following users liked this post:
desmvp (Apr 23, 2016)
Old Apr 22, 2016, 02:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
You don't have to remove the rotors. There is a rubber plug on the wheel mount surface of the rotor, you pop it out and it gives you access to the star wheel to adjust the shoes.
I had no idea, that's a nifty little trick they put in there!

-pal215
Old Apr 26, 2016, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Pal215
I had no idea, that's a nifty little trick they put in there!

-pal215
Once you are past adjustment of the shoes from the rotor side and past adjustment from the lever side in the center console, you need to replace the cables typically.

First adjustment is lever side (minor)

Second adjustment is rotor side (major)

Careful on the major adjustment because it can make the brake shoes drag.

FYI
Old Apr 26, 2016, 10:40 AM
EvoM Guru

The shoe adjustment should really only be a one time thing everytime you replace the rotor, or if the shoes get replaced. The shoes shouldn't wear because they just hold the car in place. Only adjustment you should ever really need to do IF the shoes are correctly adjusted is at the ebrake handle.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
can adjusting via that method mess up the brake bias from left to right, if you don't do it exactly? sounds like adjusting the nut at the e-brake would be much simpler
Old Apr 26, 2016, 11:01 AM
EvoM Guru

It's the ebrake, it really doesn't matter. You adjust until they drag ever so slightly. The adjustment at the shoes is the shoe adjustment. The adjustment at the handle is the cable adjustment. One does not replace the other. They both serve an independent purpose.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 07:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
can adjusting via that method mess up the brake bias from left to right, if you don't do it exactly? sounds like adjusting the nut at the e-brake would be much simpler
The parking brake does not attach to the same brakes that your pedal uses. The parking brake activates a drum-style brake inside the rear rotors that holds the car in place. The pedal squeezes the rear calipers around on the outside of the rotors. Two different systems.

If you want to test it out, put the parking brake on, pull a rear tire off and remove the caliper. Try and remove the rotor. You probably wont be able to as the friction from the parking brake is holding the rotor still from the inside. How do I know this? I've done it and was scratching my head why I couldn't pull it off!
Old Apr 27, 2016, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I think Mitsubishi bought shoes for the drum brakes from Pep Boys. Some emergency brake, it can barely hold my car in place on my nearly flat driveway. My 1992 DSM had an emergency brake that locked the wheels like they were welded. Progress.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb
I think Mitsubishi bought shoes for the drum brakes from Pep Boys. Some emergency brake, it can barely hold my car in place on my nearly flat driveway. My 1992 DSM had an emergency brake that locked the wheels like they were welded. Progress.
I think your system needs an adjustment, by regulation they require the vehicle at GVWR holds 20% grade pointing both up and down hill.