Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Dealer BS? Warped rotors!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2004, 03:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer BS? Warped rotors!!

I just brought my car into Mitsubishi for its 22,500 oil change service. I also asked them to check the brake rotors because I recently have acquired some steering wheel shake when braking. The car has been at the dealer for 6 hours now and I just received a call from them stating that the front rotors are warped and possible the rear rotors too. They tell me that the front pads have about 20% and the rear have about 40-50% life left. Then they tell me that they will not warranty the warped rotors because the brake pads are down to 20% life. My problem with this is that if I spend the money to fix the rotors and replace the brake pads how do I know when the pads are down to 30-40% they won’t warp the rotors again?

Has anyone else been able to get the dealer to warranty warped rotors? Or am I wrong and should I just pay because they are wearable items?

On a side note they said they replace someone’s rotors under warranty but, the pads had 80% life left.

What do you guys think?
Old Apr 2, 2004, 03:41 PM
Evolving Member

i have the same issue now, they should shave them but mine have been shaved 2 times already and it doing it agian but they will not fix till i buy new tires cause the tire wear is uneven and they r blaming that.....dealers suck *****
Old Apr 2, 2004, 03:47 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah they want to resurface them I just don't think I should have to pay.....damn dealers.
Old Apr 2, 2004, 04:03 PM
Evolving Member

take it to another dealer and act like you have no idea why this is happening, they may warrenty it.

If not politely push these guys to fix it.

third option: present group buy for rotora rotors, they are higher quality than our OE rotors and presently are 175. Get some of those and buy new pads through one of the aftermarket suppliers, some offr them for as little as $89 if you did the work your self it would be close to the same price as having the dealer do it and you would have all new gear of a higher quality than the OE stuff

Last edited by absinthe; Apr 2, 2004 at 04:10 PM.
Old Apr 2, 2004, 04:10 PM
Evolving Member

No flames please, but at 22k I would think that the brakes are starting to get jacked. Its a little early, maybe, but have them turned (they won't last long after that, maybe 10k), let them go until around 35k and then get some nice new ones, aftermarket or whatever.

That's asking a lot to warranty rotors at 22k miles on a high performance car....
Old Apr 2, 2004, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
another flaw by MMNA, if anyone noticed the Evo VII which uses the same caliper design, and caliper size, maybe slightly different in size but not much, those vehicles are factory equipted with the Air brake guides that directly force air at the caliper.... Bring that up and see if they help out, I chewed out my Service manager about the ACD/Clutch design and he left me with call mitsu's engineers they designed it.... I left him with they also rushed production to get the car into the US which was why most of the same parts are used when the car has changed ...

Honestly can you prove to me that they have done that much R&D to test all these factors... I for one says hell no...

Mitsu is a joke they make fine cars in japan, but the US market is a serious joke
Old Apr 2, 2004, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by OnlineAlias
No flames please, but at 22k I would think that the brakes are starting to get jacked. Its a little early, maybe, but have them turned (they won't last long after that, maybe 10k), let them go until around 35k and then get some nice new ones, aftermarket or whatever.

That's asking a lot to warranty rotors at 22k miles on a high performance car....
I've sold brakes for several years, aside from othervehicle parts... Ware and Warpage are two different things...

To say a rotor has warped is to say one exceeded the brakes limits..... Like you said these are "high Performance" Brakes, I mean no they are not designed to be auto crossed and held at continuous high temps but they should be able to be sad on hard and be able to expell the heat and be ready for another sever braking after a few minutes... A true braking system would be able to opperate at much higher temps continously and will expell heat much faster and be ready for another hard braking
Old Apr 2, 2004, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

I had the same problem. BS they should fix them like they fixed mine. Tell them that how the hell you would know when they are down to %20 as long as they dont make the squel noise that informs u thet its time to change your pads you are ok.
Old Apr 2, 2004, 04:19 PM
Evolving Member

Come on I/we should not be having warpage at 22K when the car hasn't been abused or tracked. Rotors should last a long time on any braking system.
Old Apr 2, 2004, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

if u wnana try alittle trick... pull the pads out, sand the surface of the pad smooth if they are glazed..... take the car in tell them u ahve a problem if they insist its warpped and ur fault tell them why aren't the pads glazed and the problem is a poor brake cooling design... they should warranty it its only a couple bux for them and in most cases they are getting the money from MMNA so the BS is for nothing
Old Apr 2, 2004, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Ok...here is what I have experienced...

At about 7k...my rotors were warped. I was told it could be due to me either puching the car beyond the limit (yeah ok right) or the rotors got wet while being too hot (like washing the car right after stoping with no cool down). They resurfaced them...UNDER warranty.

So between 7k and 12,500...rotors warped AGAIN. This time I made damn sure not to spray the car down until I could hold a finger on the rotors and STILL waited 30 minutes after that to do it. I don't beat my car...I do highway driving...a LOT. Work for me at the time was 30 miles ONE WAY. I tried to explain that to them and they STILL said I was pushing the car and beating on it. They resurfaced them again and said they will not do it again because I'm abusing the car. BS big time!!!

So now guess what....the car has been sitting in my garage for months...took it out to get some work done before AL did my falsh...and well...the rotors are warped AGAIN. I'm sick of this crap! These rotors SUCK BIG TIME....so many people have complained about this and Mitsu does NOTHING! Screw them...I hate that company and I SERIOUSLY want to give my car back and buy something else just based on the crappy stuff they pull at the dealers.

If I could...I'd show them exactly how I drive. Of course they won't believe me...but whatever.
Old Apr 2, 2004, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

I had a hard time getting my rotors turned under warranty at 7500 miles. I also do not track or otherwise abuse my car. I had my rotors turned three times. (EDIT: The rotors were only turned once under warranty. The other two times were on my dollar.) I used a different brand pad each time, and they just kept getting messed up. I finally ended up upgrading the rotors and using yet another different kind of pad. So far my new setup is working great (RMR Slotted rotors with EBC Greenstuff pads).

You might want to look into buying a set of aftermarket rotors and aftermarket pads. If you're gonna have to replace them anyways, why put stock ones back on? They'll just get messed up again.

Do a search, you will find tons of threads related to "warped rotors", a few of them threads I started.

Good luck.

Peace,

Last edited by naucrx; Apr 2, 2004 at 04:33 PM.
Old Apr 2, 2004, 05:01 PM

Your "warped" rotors are probably just the result of pad deposits on the rotor. That can happen when you come to a full stop when the brakes are hot (among other things). If it was me, I'd just pay for the rotor servicing. I don't know how much Mitsu charges but it's cheap at Honda. Or take it to a brake shop...

I don't think their denying you purely on the amount of wear, it's probably that dealer doesn't like to warranty wear items.
Old Apr 2, 2004, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

should be I wonder if they even perform extensive testing on this car cuz the quality ain't nothing like the one in JAPAN.

Quality and customer service sucks! I was willing to try cuz I like the EVO 8. 1 and last for me. better start getting their act together.
Old Apr 2, 2004, 05:56 PM

I have the same problem too.they just resurface once and I have to pay for the pads. And now wrapped again, so I don't bother I just order a set of Rotora rotors from www.ravspec.com. They have 3 kinds Slot, drilled or both. I'm waiting for them to come to install.

Quick Reply: Dealer BS? Warped rotors!!