Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Resurfacing Brake Rotors

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2011, 06:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get some 1-2" micrometers and measure; if you don't have any, find a mechanic or machine shop that has them and ask them to measure for you. OEM thickness is 1.260" and the discard thickness is 1.170". Measure the surface where pad transfer occurs, not on that lip, of course. IMO though, when in doubt, just buy new ones.

I drive like a freaking *** hole though, so 22k on my rotors would be a miracle.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
bringing this back from the dead since im researching rotors and pads.

my stock rotors were resurfaced at around 16K miles. truthfylly after i did a brake boost test is when i noticed they started to feel like they were warped. after another 5-6k miles i ended up replacing with a set of rotorpros slotted rotors and ceramic pads. i hated the ceramic pads and bought a set of GS6's.

thats my current set as of today and im starting to feel the steering wheel shake but its not all the time and it depends on how hard i'm pushing the brake pedal. a medium push on the pedal results on a shaking steering wheel. the car currently has 45K miles on it.

not exactly sure but i think my rims may be playing a part of the "warping" of my rotors. for some reason on my front passenger side only and it does not matter which rim i use. the rim will rub the caliper. so i had to get a 1/4" spacer for that rim to clear. so right now im running 1/4" spacers up front.

i torque my lug nuts to 72ft lbs. im considering measuring the rotors and if still within limits i'll sand them alitte and replace my pads with some EBC red stuff.

any ideas?

Last edited by vmrevo9; Nov 7, 2011 at 07:21 PM.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
did you bother to read any of this thread before you adder your 2c?
Old Nov 7, 2011, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

here we go.

NO i did not read the entire 16 pages of information. although i read enough to come to the assumption that rotating the rotors is not preferred by many especially if the car is tracked but some do not mind resurfacing for a DD. i also read that "warping" is considered a myth and by sanding the rotor, cleaning than rebedding the pads can solve the problem.

sorry i decided to add my 2 cents to this thread but there was a question and it was regarding my suspicion of my rims with the 1/4" spacers and the fact that my front passenger side has had a caliper and rim rubbing encounter.

sorry i was looking for ideas and maybe some guidance but than again maybe i should have stated my question with clearity.

i guess i should be sorry for not reading the ENTIRE thread. common sense right??

sorry i wasted your time but than again ignoring the the post probably would have been an easier option

no worries i'll figure it out

Last edited by vmrevo9; Nov 7, 2011 at 07:20 PM.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 04:18 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
FYI - 72 ft/lbs is a bit low for AL rims. I use 100 ft/lbs. And with accuracy of the torque wrench, better to have a little more than a little less.

First big issue here: one wheel impacts caliper. Other side doesn't. Tell me why that is not good. You have either a bent wheel or you have some damage to front.

After resurfacing and the pad swaps, did you re-bed the pads?

I would have them turned again, if able. Re-bed the pads.

Watch how you are braking as well. Some people really drag pads. Braking should be short and to the point.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Smike
FYI - 72 ft/lbs is a bit low for AL rims. I use 100 ft/lbs. And with accuracy of the torque wrench, better to have a little more than a little less.

First big issue here: one wheel impacts caliper. Other side doesn't. Tell me why that is not good. You have either a bent wheel or you have some damage to front.

After resurfacing and the pad swaps, did you re-bed the pads?

I would have them turned again, if able. Re-bed the pads.

Watch how you are braking as well. Some people really drag pads. Braking should be short and to the point.
Cool i'll try 100ftlbs on the lugs. I remember reading that it was around 72 but ill definitely go higher.

With the stock rims i did not have an issue. Once i installed the Rotas i noticed it rubbing. I tried different rims from my set of rotas and it didnt matter, they all rubbed. I do not think the rims are bent and im not aware of any accidents the car may have had. Well at least the car fax report does not have one listed

After i resurfaced the stock rotors i re-bedded the pads but they did not last long.

Thats when i ordered the slotted rotors from rotorpros and i installed the gs6 pads which i bedded in as well.

Since my rotors are slotted its somewhat difficult to find a shop locally to resurface them. So i'm pulling them off and hitting them up with 120-150 grit sandpaper. And im actually doing the same to the pads. I figure it should help clean them up a bit

Last edited by vmrevo9; Nov 9, 2011 at 04:57 PM.