Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

KW Variant 3 vs Fortune Auto vs Blistein/Swift

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2011, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KW Variant 3 vs Fortune Auto vs Blistein/Swift

Hello all,

I'm trying to decide on a new suspension. I currently have Blisteins/Swifts. It's been a great suspension, but it has 75k on it now. I would like to get them rebuilt and sell them. Now just trying to figure out what's my best option. I was looking at the Fortune Autos (not sure which ones are best? Not a lot of information out there yet...). Today I found out that I can get KWs at wholesale pricing, so it's not much more money ($400?).

Car is daily driven and rarely tracked, would like to go more. I live in the mountains, this car is driven hard every chance I get; driveway is a 4 mile long switchback : ). Ride quality is not much of an issue and ride height isn't either. I'm looking for durability and handling. I like that the Fortune Auto's are made in the U.S. and servicable here. Not sure if the KW's are and no idea on rebuild pricing and turn around? Fortunes also come with pillow mounts already.

Or should I just get four new Blisteins and Swifts?

Just looking for opinions!
Old Nov 2, 2011, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
FA are not made or assembled in USA. Just serviced in USA.

Why fix what is not broken? You don't track. You don't need 7-12k spring rates. Nor will get a use out of them.

And coil-overs, don't care brand, do not like winters snow/salt/sand. Not going to beat durability of Bilstein struts.

You don't need new Swifts. Just send in Bilsteins to get re-valved.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Smike

Why fix what is not broken? You don't track. You don't need 7-12k spring rates. Nor will get a use out of them.

And coil-overs, don't care brand, do not like winters snow/salt/sand. Not going to beat durability of Bilstein struts.

You don't need new Swifts. Just send in Bilsteins to get re-valved.
Again Smike for president....
Old Nov 2, 2011, 01:05 PM

The Blisteins are shot, so they need to be serviced anyhow. The Swifts are fine and still look practically new. I can't have the down time without the car, so if I'm going to do something different, now is the time. Didn't know that the FAs weren't made here, but all that matters is that they can be serviced here.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
sell the bilstein's to me if you get rid of them...haha
Old Nov 3, 2011, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
KW's are WAY over kill and pointless for a guy that does not track his car. I'd never run any coilover in salt or snow/winter. Buy a new set of what you have.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah but you guys are missing the fact that he basically has a giant playground for his car that he can abuse daily. His car has the potential to get more use out of coil overs than a track car.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

What? No. He (driver) has more potential to learn his car and he does not race or track. Wants durability and handling. You wont get that on coil-overs without paying for it.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 08:01 AM

I was hoping this was going to be more of a Fortune Auto compaired to KW thread. I know that the KW is a better suspension and it's stainless. The winters here are very dry. Lots of snow, but no salt or sand. This will also hopefully be this cars' last winter as my daily.

Originally Posted by RevMoto
Yeah but you guys are missing the fact that he basically has a giant playground for his car that he can abuse daily. His car has the potential to get more use out of coil overs than a track car.
What this guy said
Old Nov 3, 2011, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

What? No. He (driver) has more potential to learn his car and he does not race or track. Wants durability and handling. You wont get that on coil-overs without paying for it.
Driver mod aside since we don't know his skill level but for all we know he has raced down these roads a thousand times and is looking to upgrade from his bilstein/swift combo.Iif he can beat on the car just as hard as you would at the track then coil overs are an upgrade and he can get good use out of them. OP as smike stated you will lose durability for added performance.

Originally Posted by eaneumann
I was hoping this was going to be more of a Fortune Auto compaired to KW thread. I know that the KW is a better suspension and it's stainless. The winters here are very dry. Lots of snow, but no salt or sand. This will also hopefully be this cars' last winter as my daily.
You aren't going to get much info here as the people who buy fortune auto are on their first set of entry level coil overs and cannot comment. I for one am one of those people. I have driven most entry level coil overs for our cars and Fortune Auto are hands down my favorite. If you could get KW's at cost that might be too hard to pass up though.

Last edited by RevMoto; Nov 3, 2011 at 08:38 AM.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

KWs off the shelf rates are not optimal for the Evo. You'll need to get a set from GTWorx or Robi.

They are better quality than the FA.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

KWs off the shelf rates are not optimal for the Evo. You'll need to get a set from GTWorx or Robi.

They are better quality than the FA.
+1. They really need revalved right away; which is why he's recommending going through an Evo-specific vendor.

If you really really want KW's, go for it. We're not going to talk you out of it. I dunno you're pricing but I think there's better stuff out there at the KW MSRP personally. My .02
Old Nov 3, 2011, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boomn29
+1. They really need revalved right away; which is why he's recommending going through an Evo-specific vendor.

If you really really want KW's, go for it. We're not going to talk you out of it. I dunno you're pricing but I think there's better stuff out there at the KW MSRP personally. My .02
You forgot to add the plug for AST's. I wouldn't mind a set of 4100's.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by RevMoto
You forgot to add the plug for AST's. I wouldn't mind a set of 4100's.
Open to suggestions! I don't get much off MSRP on KWs, its nice, but not enough to make me buy them over something else based on price. Id like to stay under 2k.

People seem to have great things to say about Fourtune Autos products and service, that's why im considering them.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Any proof to this? I mean right on their website, it says "assembled in the USA". Not trying to start a war but it's just crazy how you're claiming it's not assembled in the USA when on their website, it says it is. They could get into a lot of trouble if someone found out it wasn't assembled here and get sued for falsely claiming it wasn't assembled here.
http://www.fortune-auto.net/fortuned...ughtseries.htm
Right on top "Assembled in the USA".

Quick Reply: KW Variant 3 vs Fortune Auto vs Blistein/Swift