Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

HKS RS Coilovers installed...professional advice needed

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2004, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HKS RS Coilovers installed...professional advice needed

I just installed these RS HIPERMAX Coilovers. I have a big problem. The car rolls way more feels like a cadilac. I have them set at the stiffest settings.

They feel real soft. And when I set them soft they feel like a 79 caddy with blown struts.

I have not corner balaned these yet or I have not gotten alignment. I kbow the alignment will make th ecar feel better but why is the car rolling so much? Is it the lack of alignment?

Or do you think I need like bigger sway bars or something?
What else could I do to eliminate roll?
Old Aug 8, 2004, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

I thought the coilovers would make ther car corner flatter and prevent roll, is it just that these coilovers handle this way?....help!
Old Aug 8, 2004, 09:38 PM
Account Disabled

maybe the rear is toes out, causeing the car to load up under a turn, causing excessive body roll.
Old Aug 8, 2004, 10:10 PM
Evolving Member

excessive rear toe out will make a car want to spin and very unstable. while doing so though it won't be subjected to any more or less bodyroll than is determined by the springs and swaybars.

what are the spring rates? I did more than my fair share of goggling, considering I have no intent to purchase and just wanted to see if I could help you, and I found nothing. I sincerely hope you knew what the spring rates were before ordering...
Old Aug 8, 2004, 11:09 PM
Evolved Member

the spring rates are as follows
HKS Hypermax RS....336lbs(6.0K)fronts.....280lbs(5.0k rear

Stock(USDM):..........180lbs(3.2k)fronts....225lbs (4.0k rear

So they are definetly stiffer

Y this is happening I dont know??

Last edited by chapter8; Aug 8, 2004 at 11:13 PM.
Old Aug 8, 2004, 11:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ColinL
excessive rear toe out will make a car want to spin and very unstable. while doing so though it won't be subjected to any more or less bodyroll than is determined by the springs and swaybars.

what are the spring rates? I did more than my fair share of goggling, considering I have no intent to purchase and just wanted to see if I could help you, and I found nothing. I sincerely hope you knew what the spring rates were before ordering...
So the only thing that would effect roll are the spring rates, dampening etc correct?
Not allignment settings.
Do really thick swaybars help out alot in the roll department or marginally?
Old Aug 8, 2004, 11:47 PM
Evolved Member

Do you know if the springs are progressive rate? I haven't done any research on the HKS Hypermax RS, but if the springs were progressive the could easily feel softer than stock and need a bit of roll and/or dive to reach their higher spring rates.
Old Aug 9, 2004, 12:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And when I set them soft they feel like a 79 caddy with blown struts
That's the "tuned for the US market everyone was talking about" ?? But seriously get your alignment done setup first then see how they feel.
Old Aug 9, 2004, 05:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by erioshi
Do you know if the springs are progressive rate? I haven't done any research on the HKS Hypermax RS, but if the springs were progressive the could easily feel softer than stock and need a bit of roll and/or dive to reach their higher spring rates.
No they are 100% linear, I would have not got them if they were progressive
Old Aug 9, 2004, 05:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by value
That's the "tuned for the US market everyone was talking about" ?? But seriously get your alignment done setup first then see how they feel.
Yeah, hopefully this will help
Old Aug 9, 2004, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Ttt
Old Aug 9, 2004, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

man i'm sorry this happened to you... turbo magazine put those coilovers on their project evo and said that the role was drastically reduced... I say get an alignment and go from there. Good luck
Old Aug 9, 2004, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Another quick question, did you lower the front and rear the same amount, or did you lower the front more to even out the fender well gap?

If you lowered the front more, more weight would now be riding on your front ends, and even more yet when you were braking and turning.

Oh, if you did lower the car equally, how far did you lower it?
Old Aug 9, 2004, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by erioshi
Another quick question, did you lower the front and rear the same amount, or did you lower the front more to even out the fender well gap?

If you lowered the front more, more weight would now be riding on your front ends, and even more yet when you were braking and turning.

Oh, if you did lower the car equally, how far did you lower it?
They are pretty much at the height they came from HKS, I then backed it down 3 revolutions from intial settings all around. I am at about the height of tanabe or tein springs. I am not that low at all. I will try and lowering the car another inch tonite and see if that helps out any
Old Aug 9, 2004, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

I just called HKS and they said it should be soft but not like a caddy. They do however offer stiffer springs. Like 7k front 6k rear. Or even 8k front 7k rear. This will be a last resort but before that I will be going to http://www.selgp.com for them to look over my springs and testing the car out, alignment settings etc. they also told me corner balancing is not necessary unless you are a very competitive track racer.

Also HKS told me that the RS are almost identical to the Hypermax 2's

The valving they said is slightly different and the sprink rates are 1k higher all around. 7k front 6k rear vs 6k front 5k rear on the RS's

Last edited by chapter8; Aug 9, 2004 at 11:29 AM.

Quick Reply: HKS RS Coilovers installed...professional advice needed