Notices
Evo X Dyno Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Tuned at HBSpeed

Old Jun 13, 2009, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tuned at HBSpeed

mods are in sig

big thanks to jon for the tune and ron for helping me burn the time highly recommended!
Old Jun 13, 2009, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats on the tune. How necessary is the WGA? I've been thinking about it over the last few weeks. Still very undecided.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

Nice numbers. HB Speed ftw!
Old Jun 13, 2009, 05:19 PM
Account Disabled

good job buddy!!
thanks
Old Jun 13, 2009, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by joowick
Congrats on the tune. How necessary is the WGA? I've been thinking about it over the last few weeks. Still very undecided.
Not necessary at all. As long as you have a free flowing exhaust, ie 3 inch from TB and TP and an open intake (I like the Injen a lot), you can hold similar boost numbers to the ones posted here w/o a pill and w/o a wga.

Check it out. This is a car with tbe and injen. Holding 24 to 23.6 psi from peak to 5500 rpm, then it tapers to 19.4 psi by redline. This is w/o a pill and w/o a wga. Pure ECUboost control using the stock BCS system with all the stock pills in place.

Attached Thumbnails Tuned at HBSpeed-boost_b4_after.gif  

Last edited by nj1266; Jun 13, 2009 at 06:26 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

^^^ a lot of cars tuned from hbspeed has my boost levels, without wga or boost pills. i don't exactly understand how, since the stock wga's springs are rated much less. i'd think even with the ecu tuned on the wastegate cycle the physical spring itself shouldn't be able to hold to that kind of pressure. then again, i'm not the one tuning, so jon should be able to provide a better answer than i could.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by endGameXIII
^^^ a lot of cars tuned from hbspeed has my boost levels, without wga or boost pills. i don't exactly understand how, since the stock wga's springs are rated much less. i'd think even with the ecu tuned on the wastegate cycle the physical spring itself shouldn't be able to hold to that kind of pressure. then again, i'm not the one tuning, so jon should be able to provide a better answer than i could.
It is all in how you set-up the WGDC tables and making sure that the logged load numbers match or exceed the Boost Target Engine Load numbers. I have been doing ECU boost control since I had an Evo 8. I just adapted what I have learned on the 8/9 to the 10.

Here is a 100% stock Evo X peaking at 25.5 psi holding 23.xx psi by 5500 rpm and tapering to 18.4 psi by redline. It can be done. The Dual Solenoid set-up on the Evo X is way superior to that on the Evo 8/9. That is why you do not need a pill, you do not need an aftermarket wga. All you need is a good WGDC and BTEL set-up in the ECU.

Attached Thumbnails Tuned at HBSpeed-boost_b4_after.gif  
Old Jun 13, 2009, 08:48 PM
Evolving Member

nice #'s. Great work as usual by Jon @ HB Speed.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nj1266
It is all in how you set-up the WGDC tables and making sure that the logged load numbers match or exceed the Boost Target Engine Load numbers. I have been doing ECU boost control since I had an Evo 8. I just adapted what I have learned on the 8/9 to the 10.

Here is a 100% stock Evo X peaking at 25.5 psi holding 23.xx psi by 5500 rpm and tapering to 18.4 psi by redline. It can be done. The Dual Solenoid set-up on the Evo X is way superior to that on the Evo 8/9. That is why you do not need a pill, you do not need an aftermarket wga. All you need is a good WGDC and BTEL set-up in the ECU.
what about those that were saying that the wastegate gets "forced open" from the boost? i believe that's why people were installing higher rated wastegate actuators, no? (or at least that's part of my reasoning as well)
Old Jun 13, 2009, 08:58 PM
Evolving Member

Nice numbers!
Old Jun 13, 2009, 09:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Ahh the wga vs pill issue

I like both but not necessarily together.

The pill is more necessary on cars that have a more restrictive exhaust

All the pill does is reduce the pressure on the wastegate which in turn raises the boost

Actuators are a stiffer spring that effectivly do the same thing raise boost!

I always tune X with no pill then if necessary add one....

Some wga are stickier than others and cause weird fluctuations
Some dp' cause issues like that too

My point in the end is that I do what is necessary to produce the powerband that I want...

I will say that boost does not always = power.

Having a load based dyno that can show the differences of 1-2 psi and 1-2 degrees of timing is a great asset
Old Jun 13, 2009, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by endGameXIII
what about those that were saying that the wastegate gets "forced open" from the boost? i believe that's why people were installing higher rated wastegate actuators, no? (or at least that's part of my reasoning as well)
I have tuned several Xs and never had that problem. I am speculating that the load numbers logged were higher than the load numbers entered in the BTEL. When that happens the TBEC table kicks in and open the WGDC and this lowers the boost on the car. I suspect that is what is going on. It is basically a lack of knowledge on how to set the BTEL and WGDC tables properly. This problem is compounded by an inability to log WGDC Correction and Load Error. These two are essential for proper ECU boost control tuning. Since I have tuned 8/9 with ECUboost and I have logged WGDC Correction and Load error, I can do BTEL and WGDC adjustments w/o logging them on the X. It will sure help when we have the ability to log these two parameters very soon in Evoscan.

I have been tuning ECUboost for a while now. AFAIK, I was the first in SoCal to use ECUboost control with the pill on the Evo 8/9. The Evo 8/9 MUST have a pill. Boost cannot be held higher than stock w/o a smaller restirctor pill on the Evo 8/9. The WGDC tables are maxxed out on the stock rom on the 8/9. On the Evo X, the reactive solenoid is maxxed out at WOT, but the passive is barely touched. That is why you have so much room to increase the boost on an Evo X w/o a pill or WGA.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

those are nice mods & numbers. someday ill get to that point then back to Jon

Last edited by SpeedI2acerX; Jun 13, 2009 at 10:27 PM.