Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

razorlab's simple build(s)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2015, 05:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Okay, longer report from my Thunderhill track event on 03.22.15

Thunderhill Raceway
Willows, CA

Current modifications for the event:

2014 Evo GSR with SSSL package

Power:
Resonated test pipe
AEM intake
GM 3 port boost solenoid
ID1000cc injectors
Blaqops walbro 255lph fuel pump kit
91 octane conservative track tune @ 298whp

Handling:
Apexi ExV coilovers, 8k/8k spring rates
Whiteline rear swaybar, set at medium
Yokohama Advan AD08R street tires, 255/35/18
Enkei NT03+M 18x9.5 +27 wheels
-3.0 front camber, -1.8 rear camber, 0 toe

Brakes:
Raybestos ST43 front pads
Girodisc SS rear pads
Torque RT700 brake fluid

My current goal was/is to do as little as possible to the car to make it track worthy, safe and fun without going over the top and making it ****ty to drive on the street.

Overall:

It was my first track event in an Evo in about seven years. It was my third track event since starting track events again after a seven year break. I tracked my Fiesta ST the last two events. My goal for this event is to take it slow and get used to not only tracking an Evo again, but tracking an Evo 10 for the first time ever. I was very happy with the car, it took me about two sessions to get more comfortable with the car but overall it felt very familiar and was like driving an old pal but with new tricks. I was MUCH MUCH MUCH faster than I was in my Fiesta ST. I dropped myself down to Solo group from Open (Advanced), which is basically this organizations beginner group because I wanted to take my time getting back up to speed. Passing with point by only so there was a bit of traffic but I currently don't care since I am just taking my time getting comfortable again.

Suspension:
As listed above, I am using Apexi ExV coilovers with 8k/8k spring rates. In my Evo 8 that I tracked heavily I used the same coilovers but in 8k/6k and ended up going pretty quick in them at this particular track. The car felt pretty good over all so far but there is a good amount of body roll still and quick transitions are a little unsettling. If anything it's reminding me to keep my inputs and corrections smooth. The heavy *** Evo 10 could for sure use higher spring rates but again, my goal for this car is to not make it uber track centric and still be a teddy bear on the street. The alignment felt great. Even though the spring rates are on the soft side, the car was pretty progressive and not under steery or over steery but felt pretty balanced. This could, and most likely will change as I start going faster with the car. I will most likely attempt to tune this a bit with dampening and sway bar setting.

Brakes:
Granted I am not doing blazing fast lap times at this track yet in this car but the ST43/Girodisc SS/RT700 combo felt GREAT. Very progressive feel, zero fade even though I was being really sloppy with my braking and in some braking zones, holding the brakes much longer then was needed. I really couldn't have asked for better brakes this event. Once I knew they where up for the task, they where out of mind for the rest of the day.

Tires:
I started the day with my normal street pressure, around 36-37psi. They felt a little squirrelly about half way through the session. Came in after my first 20 minute session and they where 42-43psi. By the third session I found that they felt the best for me and the way I was driving that day, around 38 psi hot. I was very impressed with the grip level of the AD08R's. When I tracked my Evo 8 years ago I ran R-compounds and honestly these feel pretty close when they are at their best, but did fall off a little like street tires do. The steering response felt great and they seem pretty good communicators but we'll see how that changes as I go faster with them. They are quiet on the street for the type of tire they are and while having really stiff sidewalls, have good ride manners.

Power:
I chose to not run my normal E85 for this event, but to run 91 octane. I did not want to haul a ton of fuel to the track. The 91 tune felt... lacking on the track. The Evo 10 is a heavy car and it needs all the power it can get. I ended up with some knock as well so I decided to put a mix of about 4 gallons of 100 octane in the car to help it out. This is where Tephra V2 came in real handy because I had some alt maps already setup for leaner and more timing. So I think the car probably ended up around 315whp or so at some point in the day. I can tell you I am not going to make this a habit as 100 octane at the track was $8.99/ Gallon. Cost me a small fortune to keep the tank topped off the whole day. I did this to not run into any fuel starvation issues with the 10 that every body talks about. I think I am going to look into running a Ethanol mix next event, maybe E30 and just bring a couple 5 gallon jugs to save some money!

So overall a successful event for me and I am already looking forward to the next one.

Data from the event:

Single fastest lap from the OP 2.0 Standalone logger. I chose to run my AEM intake with lid off like I do on the street. After looking at these logs I think I might put the lid on next event. Ambient temp was probably around 65-75*. Looking over the logs and using RPM and TPS shows me I have a good amount to work on for next event.

Speed, height, Lateral G, Braking and Accel G, Distance from my lap timer:

Track map for the configuration used that day:

Old Mar 24, 2015, 09:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Less is more
Old Mar 26, 2015, 11:39 AM

Hey, razor,
For someone who never uses e85 or doesn't have plan to upgrade turbo at all in the future.
Would you still recommend upgrading injectors and fuel pumps?
Is it just a safe thing to do regardless?
I imagine fuel has cooling effect, so more fuel = more cooling= less knock under race condition?
Or stock fuel system and injector are good for simple boltons?
Would intercoolers have same effect?
Sorry for newbie questions.
I am still learning turbo cars and I am trying to spend money efficiently.
I will see some tracks in the future, but only 2-4 / year.
My planning power mods are :
aem intake,
3 inch cat back,
3 port,
intercooler and uicp.
CA 91 oct
very basic.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 11:43 AM
EvoM Guru

For stock turbo, there really is no need to upgrade injectors and fuel pump on pump gas.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 12:56 PM

Fuel Starvation and Steering Input

I had fuel starvation problems with my EvoX in long left hand turns when the tank was less than 2/3 to 1/2 full. Topping the tank off between sessions fixed it. I can get about 25 minutes of track time before fuel starvation sets in.

Compared to my S2000 I've had to consciously slow my steering input on corner entry till the front suspension loads up (GTWorx springs). An instructor told me to pull the steering wheel down with one hand (letting the wheel slip through the other) to help slow steering input. After corner entry anything goes.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 07:19 AM

Good write up and I agree with the poster above. For Thill, I only have fuel starvation at T8 with less than 1/2 tank. Are you going to any of the NCRC Laguna events in May/June?
Old Mar 30, 2015, 10:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by wayne0912
Good write up and I agree with the poster above. For Thill, I only have fuel starvation at T8 with less than 1/2 tank. Are you going to any of the NCRC Laguna events in May/June?
I only track at Thunderhill these days. I might do some Buttonwillow events again but that drive is a bit much.

I'll be at Thunderhill April 13th and 26th
Old Apr 12, 2015, 09:23 PM
EvoM Guru

At the hotel in Willows, CA for another track day tomorrow.

Changes since last time:

Magnaflow catback with MAP 3" mod.
- Eeesh I guess I forgot how loud catbacks are on this car and this is even one of the quieter ones. The good news is it's quieter at 75mph highway cruise than it was with the OEM catback. Around town though... ugh. Will be nice to actually be able to hear the engine with a helmet on and the windows down at 100mph+ though.

One thing I noticed is that the bend that goes into the muffler section is REALLY close to the rear passenger side AYC hard lines. Maybe 1/2" clearance. Really hope it doesn't hit/rub when loaded up in a left hand turn.

Depo Upper IC pipe
- Fitment is okay for a $90 pipe.

Going to run a Ethanol blend for this event since I spent way too much on 100 octane last event. I have 8 maps setup for each blend and will be trying them out in descending order as the day goes.

Bad news is the car still has the boost drop I have been experiencing even after these mods. On a single gear pull I have it tuned for 23 psi but if I do a 2-4th gear pull it hits 27.5psi and runs way more boost throughout the RPM range. Driving me nuts. At this point I think maybe it's the WGA. I have a CBRD WGA that I think I might swap on to see if that is the issue.

We'll see how the track day goes tomorrow
Old Apr 13, 2015, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

Try to get some videos
Old Apr 20, 2015, 11:31 AM
EvoM Guru

Finally have some time to create a write up from this last event. I'm going to continue to use the same format as before.

4/13/15
Thunderhill Raceway
Willows, CA

*added new for this event in bold

Power:
Resonated test pipe
Magnaflow catback with MAP 3" mod
AEM intake
Depo upper IC pipe
GM 3 port boost solenoid
ID1000cc injectors
Manual Ethanol flex fuel 8 map Tephra V2 conservative track tune @ ??whp

Handling:

Brakes:
Girodisc SS rear pads
Torque RT700 brake fluid

Overall:

Second track day for the Evo 10. Getting used to it on track. Dropping time a good amount, about 3-4 seconds faster this time but still coasting some braking zones and down on mph in the fast corners but I'm taking my time working my way back up. I'm learning it drives a bit different than my Evo 8 did on the same track but I'm learning it's quirks and ways it likes to be driven. AYC for sure is happier when you are on throttle.

Suspension:
I turned up the dampening this time about 4 clicks in the front and 5 in the rear. Car felt MUCH better on transitions. Spring rate is still a wee too soft for the weight of the car but I'm not changing that any time soon.

Brakes:
ST43 fronts /Girodisc SS rear /RT700 fluid combo still working AWESOME. This fluid is the best I have used yet. With Motul I used to get a slightly spongy pedal as the day went on and would have to bleed a bit between events. Pedal stayed rock solid all day long, didn't bleed between events. Just awesome.

Tires:
Started to explore the limits of the AD08R's this event. I really like these tires. They are nice and smooth and quiet (for what they are) on the way to and from the track but have pretty impressive grip for a street tire on track and take heat pretty well. This event was a little warmer than last and the tires got a little greasy around lap 4 in the afternoon sessions but hey, they are street tires.

Power:
I ran an Ethanol mix at this event because I spent WAY TOO MUCH money on 100 octane last event. Brought three 5gallon jugs. Told myself that is the limit of how much I want to haul to the track so I planned on running a mixture of 91 + Ethanol at the event. I set up 1-8 of my switchable maps for every 10% of Ethanol content. Then I would use my Ethanol sensor to tell me which map to switch to. This overall worked great. I have some fine tuning to do with each percentage but overall, very awesome. Can't wait to be to do it automatically. However, coupled with the Ethanol sensor and the switchable maps, it was pretty easy. In fact I actually switch maps during a session mid corner to see if I could. Easy!

I hit fuel surge twice this event, so I started just doing four laps per session and come in. Kind of annoying. Really trying to stay away from a surge setup....

Power wise I ended up running around a E50-60 blend most of the sessions. Car felt so much better then last time. Smooth and powerful for what it has. I was able to slowly reel in a Audi R8 V8 in the straights so it must be making pretty decent power. Having the catback this time also helped as I was able to actually hear the car with my helmet on and windows down. I barely hit the rev limiter this time.

I have another event coming up this Sunday. I'm doing some tweaks to my switchable tune, mainly with some fueling tweaks and boost to keep some boost spikes down but overall.... looking forward to the next event!

The car feels pretty darn good on track for not many modifications and budget ones at that. Now to get the rest of my tracking driving cobwebs out!

Last edited by razorlab; Apr 20, 2015 at 11:38 AM.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 10:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
nice rundown. glad to see you driving an evo again.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thunder is the only CA track I haven't done. The drive is a tough one from SoCal!!!

I have done many too many at Laguna seca. If you do button willow let us know cause I do that one sometimes too.

It's great your on track again with an Evo and providing all that great detailed data!

Old Apr 28, 2015, 02:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Track day number three for the Evo 10 this last Sunday...

4/26/15
Thunderhill Raceway
Willows, CA

Actually mounted my GoPro this event, in the afternoon. Here are two laps, first lap I have to slow for a car and the second lap was one of the rare (maybe three total) totally clean no traffic laps I had that day. I'm moving myself up to the next group for next event so hopefully less really slow cars that I have to navigate.

No changes to the car this event

Power:
Resonated test pipe
Magnaflow catback with MAP 3" mod
AEM intake
Depo upper IC pipe
GM 3 port boost solenoid
ID1000cc injectors
Manual Ethanol flex fuel 8 map Tephra V2 conservative track tune @ ??whp

Handling:

Brakes:
Girodisc SS rear pads
Torque RT700 brake fluid

Overall:
Third track day for the Evo 10. Getting really comfortable. Shaved the lap times down another 2-3 seconds. Finally getting comfortable tracking on street tires. Back when I used to track with my Evo 8, 6-7 years ago it was on R's. I had a goal to break into the 2:10's on this track this event and I did that with a 2:09 in the second session then a 2:08 in the third and a bunch of 2:09's in the afternoon. I think the car, as it sits has a 2:06 or a 2:07 in it after I fully get comfortable and totally get my track legs back. Watching the video I see some good opportunities for improvement.

For reference back when I was tracking all the time in my Evo 8 my best was a 2:02 at this same track, on this same configuration and my Evo 8 was on Rcomp's and a bit more modified.

Anything 2:05 or below is really fast on this track for a street car.

Ran into the Evo 10 gearing limitations this time. There where times where I really should have shifted to 5th but just stayed in 4th which cost me some time.

Suspension:
Used same settings as last time, for $900 coilovers, can't complain.

Brakes:
ST43 fronts /Girodisc SS rear /RT700 fluid combo still working great. This time I got a little bit of a less stiff pedal in the third session. I haven't bled them for three events. After cooling in the paddock the pedal got stiff again. Something my Motul never did, once it lost stiffness it stayed that way until I bled it.

Tires:
Still really impressed by the AD08R's for a street tire. Wish I had more tire now that I am going faster. 255/35/18. Could have gone with a 265. Next set...

Power:
Ran E60 in the morning and E70 in the afternoon. Car felt great. Pretty good for just the stock turbo. No hiccups. I had fine tuned the maps from last event, mainly to get rid of some small knock. Basically ran 1* less on all map slots. 125 mph max this time in the front straight.

For this event, the one thing I changed was I bought an external GPS for Harry's Lap Timer on my iPhone. The difference in resolution is seriously night and day difference. I would say anybody using Harry's should do this. I have no doubt it's a 100% accurate lap timer now and still costs less than the dedicated lap timers.

Check out the difference in resolution here. Left is internal iPhone 5 GPS at 1hz and right is with bluetooth external GPS at 10hz.

Old May 1, 2015, 12:23 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Great scientific approach to improvement and enjoyment as usual. Good work!
Old May 8, 2015, 10:18 AM
EvoM Guru

Uploaded another video, this one with some of the traffic I was dealing with that day. Bonus semi-crazy Camaro driver at the beginning.

Quick Reply: razorlab's simple build(s)