Notices
Evo X Dyno Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Over boosting with new BOV

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2016, 04:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Over boosting with new BOV

I just installed the Tial QRJ in my car and It's currently hitting 30lbs of boost. the most the stock bov boosted was 28 pounds but it usually stayed around 27 since that's what I had it tuned for. Any idea why it's doing this? The car also backfires here and there
Old Oct 5, 2016, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
A BOV with a spring that's stiffer than stock will do this. You'll need a retune
Old Oct 6, 2016, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by e_kobz
A BOV with a spring that's stiffer than stock will do this. You'll need a retune
I literally just did a pro tune on the dyno... how bad is it if I keep running it how it is?
Old Oct 6, 2016, 06:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by A872B
I literally just did a pro tune on the dyno... how bad is it if I keep running it how it is?
Your old BPV could have been leaking, thus the new one is holding the boost correctly (or stiffer spring, as e_kobz stated).

Staying this way? You could window your block, pending where that extra boost/torque is applied on the power curve. You could be fine. A lot of factors are thrown into it. But your best bet is to have it tuned correctly for all parts on your car. If you were just recently tuned, your tuner may be able to throw you a revised map for free, or a low extra cost. I'd personally not risk it and have it done correctly.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by HatrixMouse
Your old BPV could have been leaking, thus the new one is holding the boost correctly (or stiffer spring, as e_kobz stated).

Staying this way? You could window your block, pending where that extra boost/torque is applied on the power curve. You could be fine. A lot of factors are thrown into it. But your best bet is to have it tuned correctly for all parts on your car. If you were just recently tuned, your tuner may be able to throw you a revised map for free, or a low extra cost. I'd personally not risk it and have it done correctly.
The car is brand new so it's not leaking. Today it hit 28psi so it's not that bad. It only spikes when I go full throttle and shift around 4krpm. The most I've seen it was 31psi. I may take it off and just reinstall it when I go full bolt ons and obviously re tune it then.

Would it make a difference if I reset my ecu by taking the battery off?
Old Oct 6, 2016, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The car is brand new so it's not leaking. Today it hit 28psi so it's not that bad. It only spikes when I go full throttle and shift around 4krpm. The most I've seen it was 31psi. I may take it off and just reinstall it when I go full bolt ons and obviously re tune it then.

Might be worth just holding off until you have the retune for your boltons. And no, the tune will not be affected in any way from an ECU "reset". It's stored in non-volatile memory (turning off the power will not erase data).

I swapped out my factory BPV for the Synapse DV (35k miles), and got boost spikes to about 31-32 psi. Needless to say the stock BPV was leaking. That being said, the car went crazy with CELs. ECU doesn't like to see the boost spikes (over 31? not sure exactly), so it set off my Traction Control, AWD control and CEL.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 10:18 AM

I may just replace the spring since other users with this bov seem to like it. http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/sho...=259097&page=3
Old Oct 20, 2016, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

FYI the oem valves start to open around 27ish psi. So yes the valve was opening under boost pressure, now that it doesn't it will overboost from time to time.