Notices
Evo X Dyno Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

08 GSR - Stock turbo - Bolt on's + 89oct & 89oct + Additive

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2016, 08:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
08 GSR - Stock turbo - Bolt on's + 89oct & 89oct + Additive

Here's an Evo X we finished from far far away in Guadeloupe. The fuel can be as bad as 87oct, I suspect what we were working with in this case was closer to an 89oct blend.

Temperatures outside were around 75-80F
2 people in vehicle

Fuel: 89oct on one map with no additive and 2nd map Torco 32oz to one full tank of gas, which seemed to help but not a whole lot.

Boost pressure was kept around 23psi on straight 89, and around 26ish on the additive mix.

Mods:
FIC 1100cc inj
Walbro 255 modded pump
Grimmspeed 3 port
AMS intake pipe
AMS FMIC
GFB bov
3" invidia exhaust /w AMS downpipe

Old Dec 5, 2016, 03:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I give the owner props cause I probably wouldn't even bother if 89 was the best octane I could get
Old May 19, 2017, 08:50 PM
Former Sponsor

We retuned this car again. It changed a few things up since before.

FP Black Turbo
FULL RACE exhaust manifold
AGP 19 psi spring wastegate

new results as follows: (Customer asked for 400whp)

It picked up over 120whp+ on the top end, and of course lost a lot of torque low RPM.

Octane is around 91-92oct with the Torco.
Old May 25, 2017, 09:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
man, that is some commitment to a turbo car with that lack of quality fuel around. I wonder if he could get drums of e85 shipped......
Old May 27, 2017, 05:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think a really good option would be to add a meth kit,would allow you to run much higher timing and lower the risk of knock, lots of evos around me running the aquamist direct port kit for years now. meth is actually good for your car if you have a proper kit.

Last edited by Mikec19; May 27, 2017 at 05:44 AM.
Old May 27, 2017, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikec19
I think a really good option would be to add a meth kit,would allow you to run much higher timing and lower the risk of knock, lots of evos around me running the aquamist direct port kit for years now. meth is actually good for your car if you have a proper kit.
While I'm not the biggest fan of meth injection, this car needs it badly. Especially since there's no E85. I give props to the owner for being committed and having to use such a crappy quality fuel.
Old May 27, 2017, 12:19 PM
LHP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by The_X_Effect
I give the owner props cause I probably wouldn't even bother if 89 was the best octane I could get
X2 on that!
Old May 29, 2017, 08:37 PM
Former Sponsor

I think its difficult to get methanol in his area. I mentioned meth injection before to him.
Old May 30, 2017, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

Tom I noticed he has a catch can on the connecting the pcv to the IM. The crankcase vent on the Intake/Turbo is vta and the Intake is capped off. What's your input on this? Is it okay to vta the crankcase or is recirculated better since the turbo is acting as a vacuum source? I ask cause I have this came catch on the pcv/im side and I can't decide if I wanna leave the crankcase vent near the Intake/turbo recirculated or add a breather so it'll vta.
Old May 31, 2017, 05:14 AM
Former Sponsor

When you get blow by with oil it usually is from the pcv to intake manifold, so adding a catch can in between those two keeps oil out of the intake manifold tract. Oil in the intake manifold just makes the car less efficient altogether.

I don't see a problem venting the valve cover on the non pcv side. definitely make sure it has a filter though or moisture will get into the valve cover and slowly corrode things.

If you're using the catch can to catch the blowby/oil/vapor/etc then you cant really do it wrong.

Vented cans really shouldn't be used on MAF cars though. Hope that helps. I never seen blow by from the valve cover to intake pipe. I would certainly utilize the turbo to help suck the crankcase pressure out further.
Old May 31, 2017, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tscompusa
When you get blow by with oil it usually is from the pcv to intake manifold, so adding a catch can in between those two keeps oil out of the intake manifold tract. Oil in the intake manifold just makes the car less efficient altogether.

I don't see a problem venting the valve cover on the non pcv side. definitely make sure it has a filter though or moisture will get into the valve cover and slowly corrode things.

If you're using the catch can to catch the blowby/oil/vapor/etc then you cant really do it wrong.

Vented cans really shouldn't be used on MAF cars though. Hope that helps. I never seen blow by from the valve cover to intake pipe. I would certainly utilize the turbo to help suck the crankcase pressure out further.
Helps a ton, thanks Tom. I'll leave my can in between the pcv and intake manifold and just leave the line from the crankcase vent to the Intake/Turbo OEM.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 04:35 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by e_kobz
Helps a ton, thanks Tom. I'll leave my can in between the pcv and intake manifold and just leave the line from the crankcase vent to the Intake/Turbo OEM.