Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Navigation system without Rockford, blessing in disguise?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2009, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Navigation system without Rockford, blessing in disguise?

Hey guys:

I'm in the process of haggling with my local dealer on a 2008 MR they are attempting to locate for me. They have found one in port which is fresh from the factory.

I was originally quoted a price for the entire technology package with the Rockford sound system and Sirius, the one in port has the Navigation head unit, but not the Rockford audio. (not sure on the sat radio)

My options are to either take the brand spankin' new one from port and haggle the options and money out with the dealer or have them locate me one with exactly what I want that may have 100 or so miles on it and been sitting on a lot for a year.

I think the choice on the car is a no-brainer, get the new one and actually get to peal the plastic off her myself.

I had originally planned to have the Rockford system because I didn't want to have to deal with upgrading the audio system. I don't need anything outrageous, just something that sounds pretty good and that has a full range of sound.

This brings me to my questions for you guys.. Is getting the car with the navigation system with the standard audio a blessing in disguise? Is the Navi head unit well equipped for aftermarket speakers and amps? (good quality pre-amps, maybe even a decent internal amp?) Is replacing the factory speakers straight forward, or is it a complex process?

A little info on myself.. I am audio system inclined, the setting up of a good system is easy for me. I am more worried about the install process, i.e., do you have to rip the entire door panels off to change out the speakers, and if so, what are the chances of breaking all the little clips and such that hold it on and getting it back together without incident?

Thanks for your input,

don..
Old Jun 5, 2009, 04:52 PM

Also, the standard audio setup is 6 speakers. I understand the door speakers are 6.5" all around, so two 6.5" coaxial's in the back and component tweeters in the front make up the six, no?

The Fosgate system adds three speakers.

What are the sizes and location of these other speakers?
Old Jun 5, 2009, 10:27 PM
Evolved Member

Yes it is a blessing in disguise for sure...just read up on here about how BAD the RF system is. It has auto-leveling crap which is the #1 gripe from everyone. The sub is nice but not worth the rest of the headache and grief that comes along with the RF system.

The Navi is definitely worth it so I would recommend getting the one with Navi but no RF. You'll be happier in the end for sure.

The other 3 speakers are the Sub and in the rear door they have a tweeter mounted on the speaker. So the 2 tweets and Sub are your other speakers.

Adam
Old Jun 6, 2009, 05:53 AM

Yea go for it.. And with the money you save install a nice amp and it will sound way better then the rockford system..
Old Jun 7, 2009, 01:31 PM
Evolving Member

Without rockford I believe you will not have to deal with the factory amp, now instead of rewiring through doors you can wire up to the headunit, saves so much time.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Titaztik
Yes it is a blessing in disguise for sure...just read up on here about how BAD the RF system is. It has auto-leveling crap which is the #1 gripe from everyone. The sub is nice but not worth the rest of the headache and grief that comes along with the RF system.

The Navi is definitely worth it so I would recommend getting the one with Navi but no RF. You'll be happier in the end for sure.

The other 3 speakers are the Sub and in the rear door they have a tweeter mounted on the speaker. So the 2 tweets and Sub are your other speakers.

Adam
I was aware of the auto-leveling, I just wasn't sure if that was part of the head unit logic, or if it was in the innards of the fosgate system. Thanks for the info.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by focalart
Without rockford I believe you will not have to deal with the factory amp, now instead of rewiring through doors you can wire up to the headunit, saves so much time.
Can anyone confirm the quality of the head unit's amp? Is it workable to just use some aftermarket speakers wired direct to the head, or should I forget it and get an amp for the door speakers?

If anyone has any technical spec's on the Navigation head unit, that would be great. I'm interested in amp output and the number of pre-amp outputs. Voltage on the pre-amps would be good to know too. Thanks.