Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

A little more bump.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2009, 10:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A little more bump.

Im thinking about putting a 12" sub inplace of the stock 10". Has anyone done this already. If so, what did you have to do to get it to work. I want to stay with a Rockford Fosgate sub. Will I have to get a bigger amp?
Old Jun 18, 2009, 10:44 AM
Evolving Member

I don't think you will be able to fit a 12" sub in the factory box. I've had it apart and just don't think there is the room. I went with a new 10" sub after reinforcing the factory box. I put in a RF P3 shallow sub and added a new amp to power it better.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It can be done, just check the impedance on the stock woofer to see what kind of load you'll be presenting it. IF the X is like the older ones, you'll have to cut the end of the wire osf as it probably has a unique coupler to attach to the sub. But yeah, you'll need a new enclosure.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

The stock sub is DVC, about 1.8ohms each voice coil. If I had to guess, I'd say the stock amp is good for maybe 25 watts rms only, it's pretty weak.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

If the stock amp is that weak, I wouldn't waste time putting a bigger woofer on it, it probably won't hit much harder at all, if any. I don't think I would try putting a bigger amp on the stock woofer, although that would be the better solution. I'd wait until I had enough money to replace both the amp and sub. The highs will probably sound better on a bigger nicer amp, so you can probably leave them alone for a bit.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the advice.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GPTourer
If the stock amp is that weak, I wouldn't waste time putting a bigger woofer on it, it probably won't hit much harder at all, if any. I don't think I would try putting a bigger amp on the stock woofer, although that would be the better solution. I'd wait until I had enough money to replace both the amp and sub. The highs will probably sound better on a bigger nicer amp, so you can probably leave them alone for a bit.
Totally agree. I used the factory sub for maybe a week before I blew it with an aftermarket amp. And it was only seeing about 100watts RMS, so not crazy power or anything. The factory speakers also can't handle much power either, unfortunatly.

Like GPTourer said, I'd wait until you can upgrade amp AND sub at the same time, and maybe even front speakers too.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 08:13 PM
Evolving Member

The Fosgate name typically means good stuff, except in factory applications typically means crap.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 03:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any factory application with a brand name on it is crap. Remember all of the Chrysler vehicles that came with "Infinity" stuff in them? All junk.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by i64X
Remember all of the Chrysler vehicles that came with "Infinity" stuff in them? All junk.
Hey! Before RF came along, Mitsus used that same "junk" from Infinity. I'm still using the stock Infinity highs in my Evo with a Memphis amp and I removed the Infinity sub and have a JL amp on a (aftermarket) RF Sub. The highs sound okay, enough that I want to upgrade them with a nice set of Focals ($$$) and not mess around with anything in between as far as money or quality is concerned.

Last edited by GPTourer; Jun 19, 2009 at 07:40 AM.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

I'm tempted to get a good 5 channel amp - or maybe a good 4 channel and a mono amp dedicated to the sub. Could always fit the second amp under the passenger seat.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

Any factory application with a brand name on it is crap. Remember all of the Chrysler vehicles that came with "Infinity" stuff in them? All junk.
I had to replace an Infinity mid range in a 2000 concorde, made out of paper.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 05:46 PM
Evolving Member

Come to think of it, there is few select cars, like the Mark Levinson system and few other stock systems I believe are pretty good.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by focalart
I had to replace an Infinity mid range in a 2000 concorde, made out of paper.
Some really high end speaker are made out of paper. Just depends on the paper. But yeah, stock speakers are usually not going to tolerate much more power then they're given. That's why I say don't bother bumping up the power on the stock woofer.