Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Drove my 2008 Key-less GSR to work without the key~@@

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2009, 12:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drove my 2008 Key-less GSR to work without the key~@@

As the title says, I found out I didn't bring my key when I trying to lock my car after arrived to work. Nothing happened for about 6 mile of driving. I call the local dealer and asked them is this normal, and they have being surprised by my situation and told me "the engine should be shut off for certain distant (30 feet?) or certain time if the key is away. I asked them if I should bring the car in for a repair, they told me they don't know what happen to my car. I’m wondering if anyone with a key-less GSR has any experience of leave the car engine on and away with the key. Anything happen?
Old Dec 10, 2009, 03:53 AM

wormhole in norway caused it
Old Dec 10, 2009, 04:21 AM
Evolving Member

SO paint this scenario again,

You started the car with the key in range, then drove to work and figured out you forgot it?

Or you figured out you forgot it, then started your car and drove home?
Old Dec 10, 2009, 05:35 AM
Evolving Member

Once you start the car with the key fob in range it will continue to run until you shut it off even if you leave your key at home (there is no auto-kill feature). Your dash should light up though with a warning once your key fob is out of range and the car is on. Once you get to where you are going and shut the car off, it will not let you restart the car without the fob.

Also, when the car is running, you cannot get out and lock it with the key fob. However, you can pull out the manual key and manually lock it (this is what I do when I want to warm the car up and leave it outside).

I hope that explains it.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stellar24
Once you start the car with the key fob in range it will continue to run until you shut it off even if you leave your key at home (there is no auto-kill feature).
Yep, so if you leave your car running outside and have the key with you in your pocket, the thief can get clear across the country by driving w/out turning it off and refueling with the car on.

My brother said a friend of his tested this theory with an Outlander and there's nothing stopping someone from stealing it without the key.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

The dealer is flat out wrong. The car will run until you turn it off, even if you drive 100 miles.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 07:58 AM

Thanks for the info! That sucks that it doesn't shut off.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
didnt notice the dash gauge that key is missing?
Old Dec 10, 2009, 12:15 PM
Evolving Member

how short is the start range? It would suck if someone can walk up to your driveway at night and drive off with your car with your fob hanging off a key hanger near your front door. I'd imagine the start range would be VERY short.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
start range is very very short and the fob typically needs to be on the right side of the steering wheel (usually in the cup holders). it often doesnt work when its in my left pocket but in my right pocket it works just fine.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 12:20 PM
Evolving Member

haven't gotten my Evo yet(next summer)....but for the situation with the fob......he would have had to start the car with the key inside the car, correct?

so you could unlock the car if the key is in range, but can't start without the key being inside the cabin? But once it has been started, it won't matter where the fob is, until the car has been turned off? Does this sound correct?

NVM....looks like someone answered my question
Old Dec 10, 2009, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lancer0220
start range is very very short and the fob typically needs to be on the right side of the steering wheel (usually in the cup holders). it often doesnt work when its in my left pocket but in my right pocket it works just fine.
Maybe your batteries are low, because I can stick my keys in the bottom of my book bag, throw that in the back seat, & still start my car
Old Dec 10, 2009, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Thats is kind of dumb so i can wait till one of you is near your car, jump in it and take off??
Old Dec 11, 2009, 12:24 AM

Thanks for all the replies~

I called the other dealer today and they mentioned the engine won't shut off until I turn it off. I don't recall seeing any sign on dash but maybe it is there. I asked the dealer "is there any kind of warning" and they said "you won't be able to turn on the car again and that’s the warning~"
Old Dec 11, 2009, 07:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by greentea1223
Thanks for all the replies~

I called the other dealer today and they mentioned the engine won't shut off until I turn it off. I don't recall seeing any sign on dash but maybe it is there. I asked the dealer "is there any kind of warning" and they said "you won't be able to turn on the car again and that’s the warning~"
The first guy who said that the car should shut off obviously didn't know what he was talking about. That didn't stop him from spreading mis-information. Why do people (especially people who work at car dealers) do stuff like that? I can’t tell you the amount of BS that people who work in the dealerships tried to get past me. I’d think twice before asking that guy anything else.

Quick Reply: Drove my 2008 Key-less GSR to work without the key~@@