Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Clarion Navi & Pac Switch Jack Install (2010 Non SSS GSR)

Old Mar 21, 2010, 08:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clarion Navi & Pac Switch Jack Install (2010 Non SSS GSR)

I first want to say that the Metra dash kit is AWEFUL. I can’t believe the fitment is this bad. I highly recommend you save the money and get a real one. The Pac Switch Jack does its job but you have to be a little patient with it. I noticed its not as fast but that is to be expected since the signals are wireless. I have a non SSS GSR and the sound was ok at best with the stock head unit. After putting this unit in I noticed the sound was more crisp and fuller. You will get this with almost all aftermarket head units since they tend to pump out more power.

This head unit is a Clarion MAX685BT with the Navi Brain NAX980HD.

You can find a guide to pull the dash apart in another thread.

The install was pretty easy, took about 3-4 hours. The harness and pac switch jack are for a 08-09 lancer but works just the same with the 2010 Evo. I don’t know if I just got a bad harness but there is one wire that is suppose to be blue but is light grey. After connecting all the other wires you are only left with that one so it’s pretty straight forward.

Connect the black and red wires form the pac switch jack to the black and red wires on the new harness. The instructions for the pac switch jack say to connector to pin 22 (it says its blue but the wire is blue/black). Then splice pin 32 to chassis ground (it says this wire is black but it is also blue/black).

Once the pac switch jack is connected zip the extra wires and connect the headphone jack to your head unit. There is an extra blue/yellow wire that does not get connected so zip tie or clip it.

From the navi brain you have to tap into the VSS wire, which is pin 31 (blue/white). See the above image of the harness pin outs for location. There are 4 other wires coming from the Navi brain that have to be connected. Run the Yellow (+12volts) to the head units yellow, Green (parking brake signal) to the green wire on the head unit, Black to chassis ground, and purple to the purple on the head unit.

Most head units will require you to have that green wire connected to the ebrake signal wire so you can’t change things or watch movies while the ebrake is down. Usually you have to just ground this wire out and you’ll be good to go but with this head unit it needs to be sequenced off-on-off. In order to get around this I installed a simple toggle switch where the heated seat buttons should be. Just connect the ground of the switch to chassis ground and splice another wire off the head units green wires. Run that wire down to where you want the switch and you’ll be good to go.

You can place the pac switch jack anywhere but I used military grade double stick tape to fasten the unit behind the HVAC controls. You can find the programming information for the switch off pac audios website (www. http://pac-audio.com/). It will only let you select a 2009 lancer but it works for the 2010 evo’s. You have to work quick when programming but its not that hard once you get it. Its only got one button and one light on it which will go out fast and shut off if you don’t input commands fast enough.

There is a small clip in the center dash near the windshield; you can pry it up with a small flat head screwdriver. Be careful not to scratch anything, gently work the screwdriver under the clip and work it till you get under it enough. It should just pop right out. I used two 16 awg solid wires wound together in order to reach the hole where that random clip was. If you flash a light down through the hole you can see where to feed the wound wires through.

Pull the wires out of the hole and wrap them around the plug side of the Navi antenna. Once secure pull the wound wires until you get the antenna’s plug to the head unit side.

Take the clip you removed and mill out a notch so the Navi antenna wire can feed into the dash while the clip is re-installed.

Now feed the Navi brain wires (purple, green, yellow, black, pink) down through the back of the dash down to the shift assembly. For this head unit there are also two multi pin connectors that will need to run with these wires. I tied into the side of the shifter assembly with a zip tie and a double stick tap zip tie holder. The black wire from the Navi brain was grounded below the shifter assembly.

You can feed the wires from the passenger side of the carpet down through the opening where the vent under the seat is. The carpet will have enough give that you can get hands through both areas.

Zip tie all the wires and tuck what ever slack you have into the back area where the head units sits. I used the rough side of double stick Velcro on the Navi brain to hold it in place under the seat. Make sure the unit is perfectly flat or the unit will not track the cars movement.

I had a tough time getting the head unit to mount with this dash piece of crap dash kit. Since this unit’s face slides down and out it keeps hitting the crappy frame that came with this dash kit. Not to mention the horrible gap on top where the kit meets the cars dash. It will do for now until I order the real dash kit.

Feel free to ask any questions or post any comments. I’m not a professional installer so I’m sure there are things I could have done better. Hope this helps!

Last edited by zerocooll21; Mar 22, 2010 at 08:54 AM.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 08:37 AM

that's a pretty good write up. I just did mine this weekend finally and everything works great, even the bluetooth controls! I have an idea that might help with the gap issue (won't "fix" it but it might make it more appealing). I'll post pics when I finally do it. I mounted my gps antenna on top of the headunit. signal is strong through the plastic dash.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 08:53 AM
Evolving Member

Thats interesting, I thought the antena had to be completely unobstructed. Oh well too late now, it didn't take long to set it up on the dash anyway. Deff let me know how you "fixed" the gap issue. What dash kit did you get?
Old Mar 22, 2010, 04:52 PM
AFD
Evolved Member

Nice install and write-up, thanks!

That Metra kit is just aweful, though
Old Mar 23, 2010, 08:25 AM

i bought the scocshe dash kit. it looks like the metra is even worse at the top and there is no ridge where the top meets the front (the scocshe has a defined "edge" between the top and front). my "fix" prob. won't look as good with the metra because of this, none-the-less i'll post up pics when i get to it. u could try putting a piece of black lace in between (so it's obvious it's not supposed to be flush). u could also try putting a thin strip of aluminum or gray colored tape at the top. If u use black tape it won't blend in and it's obvious u were trying to cover it up.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

Yah I had a couple ideas but the best one will be to get rid of this POS an get a real one. I noticed that in the day I have wicked bad glare. Goign to pull it out again and see if I can angle it some more. I still have the frame that came with the head unit so I'll cut that to fit and hope it comes out a little better for now.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How does Metra get away with selling that kit? Don't these companies even test fit? The colour doesn't even match.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

So I just tried to use the factory blue tooth controls and realized they do not work anymore. I have blue tooth through my head unit so its not the end of the world but I would have liked to keep that functionality. If anyone can figure out how to make it work please shoot me a PM, Thanks.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Those PAC switches are stereo specific correct?

I need to find one compatible to my Pioneer AVIC z110BT.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cpunlamd
Those PAC switches are stereo specific correct?

I need to find one compatible to my Pioneer AVIC z110BT.
PAC SWI-PS

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...swi-ps&x=0&y=0

and the other link you need is

http://avic411.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=55
Old Mar 24, 2010, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

The issue I ran into with the factory BT and the PAC is that if I did not disconnect the BT, when I hit track up on the steering wheel, the BT module would kick in and transfer the input from the head deck to the BT. (Factory RF system.)

I know that with the SWI-PS you can program the handsfree buttons to work with your head unit, but I'm not certain about the SWI-JACK. Did the instructions cover the hands free buttons?

Originally Posted by zerocooll21
So I just tried to use the factory blue tooth controls and realized they do not work anymore. I have blue tooth through my head unit so its not the end of the world but I would have liked to keep that functionality. If anyone can figure out how to make it work please shoot me a PM, Thanks.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 09:25 PM
Evolving Member

No, the Pac was only for specific commands on a clarion. Just the volume/track/mode functions are able to be programed.

I wonder if the RF amp wiring is causing that. I don't have any issues like what you're having.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

The PAC instructions are too simple.

1. ground one wire from the factory harness
2. jump one wire from the PAC harness to the factory harness
3. plug the ear phone looking piece into the head unit

And Houston we have lift off?
Old Jun 22, 2011, 07:04 PM
Evolving Member

Whats up with this VSS wire to 31? I am not sure what a VSS wire is ???
Old Jun 23, 2011, 03:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lanasa
Whats up with this VSS wire to 31? I am not sure what a VSS wire is ???
Vehicle Speed Signal

Some GPS's need it, some do not.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clarion Navi & Pac Switch Jack Install (2010 Non SSS GSR)