Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Cheap Ebay HID's Blew OEM HID Ballast

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2011, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheap Ebay HID's Blew OEM HID Ballast

Hey guys, I have a 2010 RA premium package with OEM HID's which are the same as the evo x I believe. Now, I bought recently some cheapo 5000K HID's from ebay for 15$ plus 10$ shipping that I switched with the 4300K OEM HID. They were working out quite well troughout the winter. Then, randomly I would smell burned plastic inside my car and I thought it must be another car... In spring I noticed my passenger side HID was flickering since I went trough a nasty pothole. Then it just burned out . I though it must be just be the bulb but when I took the passenger side HID out, the whole HID socket completely melted. So I decided to swap it with my OEM 4300k till I get a new one from ebay (free of charge) 30 minutes later it burns out again so I went to the stealership and told them the OEM's melted. The first stealership just changed a harness wire and it was working again but the passenger HID was completely yellow and eventually the side of the socket melted in less than one hour. I went to a second stealership (the first one did not want to cover me on warranty). They ran a few tests and told the Ballast blew and its $1600 for the ballast plus installation .... BUT! since I have warranty its free ! (MY **** free of charge had to fight for it but got it free in the end). I was wondering could cheap Chinese HIDs really bust my ballast like that or is this some cheap tricks from the stealership? I also heard cheap HID's run hotter than Philips HIDs is this true? Here is a link from a guy's BMW who's cheap Chinese D2S HID started a fire in his BMW: http://www.scaminformer.com/scam-report/midnight-sun-hid-outlet-midnight-sun-hid-outlet-hid-d2s-c19568.html
Old Apr 23, 2011, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yours lucky they covered it! Stick to known brands of bulbs!