Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

In-Dash Tablet install questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2013, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fiftyclick
@momostallion: got any pics of your setup?
I will but nothing is setup yet. I just took the dash apart this weekend. Im waiting on more options for a new nexus 7 case to be released before i can finish up.

Last edited by momostallion; Aug 4, 2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am seriously considering this and had a few questions.

- Are there any pictures of this setup in a JDM dash?
- How are you guys managing the data for the tablet? cellular or tethered?
- Has anyone found a method to answer/call using the tablet to control your phone? For example, I have an Android phone but want to be able to see who is calling and control the call through the tablet instead of pulling out my phone or relying on the steering wheel controls.

Here it is unmounted. I don't have any pics of it installed because my car is still in the shop.

I'm just going to tether to my phone with wifi hotspot. Not worth getting another data plan just for the car IMO

There is currently no solution for connecting your phone to your tablet to use the hands free feature. The Android bluetooth stack doesn't support the headset profile (allows device to be used as a headset over bluetooth). Parrot was able to do this on their headunit with a custom bluetooth stack, so I'm sure it's possible. It's just not a highly demanded thing so no developers are working on it

Thanks!
Originally Posted by momostallion
Good news, the factory radio still works without a face. Better news, you can remount the factory radio on it's own brackets to recess another 1.5" deeper to allow more room for custom tablet install related stuff.

Hah sweet, I guess it's easy integration to the factory steering wheel controls (for volume at least)
Old Aug 4, 2013, 08:24 PM

Im interesting to see how this looks finished. A friend of mine had a 7 inch screen running a macbook. Very neat but hella maintenance and custom fab.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

@r34p3rex
jdm dash looks great. do you have the model number for it?

japanparts lists 2, one is #544 for 2 din audio, the other is #373 for OEM wide navigation. i'm guessing that is the one for wide nav?
Old Aug 5, 2013, 07:17 AM
Evolving Member

Nope, I have the double DIN version
Old Aug 5, 2013, 07:28 AM

Wow r34p3rex, that looks really slick! The JDM dash can be quite expensive, but it does look the best IMO. (Fyi, I found it for sale here http://www.japanparts.com/db/partsli...EY=330-019-001)

I did some searching around, and I found an android app called "Tablet Talk" (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....tabtalk&hl=en) which uses either a Bluetooth or a Wifi connection to allow a tablet to send and receive both calls and emails.

Looks like I am picking up a tablet soon - this looks like the way to go for sure.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

here is a mockup of a nexus 7 in a scosche dash kit:

this would be an easy install if you are okay with a permanently mounted tablet. the one benefit of the scosche kit is the recessed screen which helps block a some light/glare.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 08:12 AM
Evolving Member

Wow r34p3rex, that looks really slick! The JDM dash can be quite expensive, but it does look the best IMO. (Fyi, I found it for sale here http://www.japanparts.com/db/partsli...EY=330-019-001)

I did some searching around, and I found an android app called "Tablet Talk" (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....tabtalk&hl=en) which uses either a Bluetooth or a Wifi connection to allow a tablet to send and receive both calls and emails.

Looks like I am picking up a tablet soon - this looks like the way to go for sure.
Tablet talk won't allow you to transfer an incoming call to your tablet though. The way voice calls work with it is, when you receive an incoming call, it will display information about the caller. When you press answer, it will use a bluetooth device connected to your phone. I guess theoretically, you could hook up a bluetooth kit directly to your speakers and pair your phone with that, but it won't have perfect integration like most aftermarket headunits (e.g. currenty playing song will be muted on a headunit when you answer a call)

Originally Posted by momostallion
here is a mockup of a nexus 7 in a scosche dash kit:

this would be an easy install if you are okay with a permanently mounted tablet. the one benefit of the scosche kit is the recessed screen which helps block a some light/glare.
Yup. JDM dash kit is flush mount (if you don't want to permanently install) so you'll want to use an anti-glare screen protector
Old Aug 7, 2013, 11:26 AM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by r34p3rex
I had the appradio 2 and absolutely hated it. I even had the ARLIBERATOR app that allows you to fully mirror and use the touchscreen to control your phone. It didn't work half the time.. No navigation without connecting phone, terrible sound quality
THIS!!!
Fail Radio
Old Aug 12, 2013, 12:04 PM

^ Agreed.

I currently have Appradio 2 w/ ARliberator. I gave Arliberator a great review because one developer tried something new and it works in theory. The glitches, bugs, and failed hand shakes are very inconvenient and dangerous.

Sometimes I find myself in my driveway or parking lot and fiddling with plugging in the USB charger, HDMI-mini plug, tucking the cables away, wait for the handshake, scroll to Google Play, wait for the by-pass screen to pop up and the acknowledgement button to illuminate...sometimes it doesn't, scroll back to google play, start playlist or radio, go back to home screen and turn on Screen Standby to dim phone brightness, Click Google Maps, realize that Google Maps doesn't accept "Mock Locations" so the Pioneer external GPS is worthless...

The shutdown process is fine, I'll take a minute to let the turbo cool while I undo Screen Standby, turn off google play (because it doesn't auto-stop like the mic disconnect), and turn off any other apps I was using (Dashcommand, Iheartradio, etc.)

Bottom line, I appreciate the app development for what Pioneer and Arliberator have done, but the technologies aren't as seamless together, and that is expected of custom set ups. Personally, I'm reinstalling my Non-Navi RF headunit and just plug everything into the AUX port.

It's an AWD machine, and my SST makes me feel "Alittle" disconnected from the driving experience sometimes. I don't want audio/visual technologies to disconnect it further.

I'll chase a tablet idea, and I give props to all the custom work that is done with our dash openings! But for now, that was just my .02 cents on Appradio integration.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 10:23 AM

THREAD REVIVAL!!!!!!!!!!

Ok. I have the brand spanking new Nexus 7 Tablet and was almost done with the install. Since there is enough room to mount the tablet in front of the oem head unit, we decided to install it that way. BUT.... for some reason the head unit will not stay in AUX mode for the tablet to work!?!??!?????????????? How do I get the radio to stay in AUX mode so I can use the tablet?
Old Jan 27, 2014, 01:46 PM

Id love to see some detailed pics of this install. This sounds very amazing and unique. Have a Nexus 7 myself and would love to do this.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by BlackEvoV
Id love to see some detailed pics of this install. This sounds very amazing and unique. Have a Nexus 7 myself and would love to do this.
The Scosche Double Din dash kit is a nice piece for the X. Depending on what model you have, you may want to see if they make one for your car. Other than the double din, if you don't want to hardwire it to your car, then send a few of the guys here a PM about what else you would need to operate it and have it be a removable piece.

This is my first time installing one and it's damn near finished. Just having issues with it staying in the mode to play the tablet. After I figure that out, I'll post a few pics.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 12:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tye1
The Scosche Double Din dash kit is a nice piece for the X. Depending on what model you have, you may want to see if they make one for your car. Other than the double din, if you don't want to hardwire it to your car, then send a few of the guys here a PM about what else you would need to operate it and have it be a removable piece.

This is my first time installing one and it's damn near finished. Just having issues with it staying in the mode to play the tablet. After I figure that out, I'll post a few pics.
Keep us posted as I will being a nexus 7/Scosche install next weekend. The stock radio always stayed in AUX mode before, is it because the faceplate is now missing that it keeps resetting?
Old Feb 17, 2014, 04:52 AM

I wanted to so an ipad mini dash.. Too much money that could go under the hood though so i didnt do it

Quick Reply: In-Dash Tablet install questions