Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

In-Dash Tablet install questions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2014, 11:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going to be doing a cleaner "v2" install of this once the new kernel is released for the updated 2013 Nexus 7 3D printed brackets, enclosures and everythang!
Old Feb 17, 2014, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by r34p3rex
I'm going to be doing a cleaner "v2" install of this once the new kernel is released for the updated 2013 Nexus 7 3D printed brackets, enclosures and everythang!
What does the updated kernel provide?
Old Feb 17, 2014, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by r34p3rex
3D printed brackets
nice!
Old Feb 19, 2014, 08:59 PM
Evolving Member

I would like to add that I have almost finished my tablet install but I ran into a huge issue with the AUX input on the radio like the other dude here..

Normally to get the base radio (2011 MR) to play from the RCA Jacks (AUX Input) you have to push the CD/MP3 Button down for a second or two to get it to switch over to AUX. Ok, that's fine, but when you power the car off it goes back to whatever was set before AUX mode. So if you have removed the stock radio faceplate you now no longer have a way to put the radio in AUX mode.

Who at Mitsubishi thought this was a good idea, every other mode on the radio stays through a power cycle except AUX.

This is the only thing I need to finish the install, currently I have the white connector for the faceplate harness hanging out under the Scosche faceplate. When I get in the car I plug the old faceplate into the connector and press and hold the CD/MP3 button. What a huge pain that is every time I start the car...

Last edited by omniphil; Feb 19, 2014 at 09:01 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 05:47 AM
Evolving Member

I may have found a good work around for the AUX issue... I'll just use bluetooth instead. The radio will stay in bluetooth mode when power cycled!

I was also getting some pretty bad ground loop feedback using the AUX connector, so this will fix that too..

Nice...
Old Feb 20, 2014, 11:06 AM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by omniphil
I may have found a good work around for the AUX issue... I'll just use bluetooth instead. The radio will stay in bluetooth mode when power cycled!

I was also getting some pretty bad ground loop feedback using the AUX connector, so this will fix that too..

Nice...

check your grounds too. I had a loose one on a brand new evo.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ikt
check your grounds too. I had a loose one on a brand new evo.
Are they under the hood?
Old Feb 24, 2014, 03:37 PM

Nice...
How did the bluetooth thing work? What did you buy?
Old Feb 24, 2014, 04:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tye1
How did the bluetooth thing work? What did you buy?
Bluetooth has been working awesome, automatically connects when the car turns on. Bluetooth came with my car standard so I didn't need to buy anything else. (2011 MR)

The only downside to bluetooth is lag. With audio there is no issue, however video is badly out of sync with the audio going over bluetooth. Not a big deal as its mostly for music and net casts.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 10:07 AM

Awesome thread - I was thinking of doing something like this as it makes way more sense to me then spending huge money on the stock nav, that has worse functionality. I just received my obd2link lx, scosche kit, and nexus in the mail - going to get the install going as soon as it warms up around here. I'll post some pics for anyone else thinking of trying it.

Quick question for those that installed in front of the stock unit - what did you guys use for usb / power connections? Powered usb hub connected to the fuse box via a fuse tap or something? I want to be able to connect directly to the nexus with a usb to upload maps/music, update the device, etc.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by VandxL
Awesome thread - I was thinking of doing something like this as it makes way more sense to me then spending huge money on the stock nav, that has worse functionality. I just received my obd2link lx, scosche kit, and nexus in the mail - going to get the install going as soon as it warms up around here. I'll post some pics for anyone else thinking of trying it.

Quick question for those that installed in front of the stock unit - what did you guys use for usb / power connections? Powered usb hub connected to the fuse box via a fuse tap or something? I want to be able to connect directly to the nexus with a usb to upload maps/music, update the device, etc.
I used a right angle usb cable to a usb-cig lighter adaptor. I bought a female cig socket at radio shack and mounted it under the shifter console. I can pop out the AWC button panel behind the shifter and get at the cable. The downside is that if you use a high power usb charging cable that will charge at 2 amps it wont have data capabilities so no data transfer. I just use wifi to transfer stuff now.

For the stock headunit I had to move it back about 1 inch to clear the tablet. The stock radio brackets allow you to move the unit back but you have to tap the holes or just use self tapping screws to use any of the other holes.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 05:59 PM

I'm going to try this over the weekend. I use bluetooth exclusively for all my audio anyway, so all I need is to power the tablet. I was considering running the usb cable from the glove box to behind the dash to power the tablet.

My question; how do you have the tablet mounted? Attached to the stock stereo somehow? Any pics of your setup?

Also looking for a custom ROM to make the icons bigger....
Old Feb 28, 2014, 03:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by brains613
I'm going to try this over the weekend. I use bluetooth exclusively for all my audio anyway, so all I need is to power the tablet. I was considering running the usb cable from the glove box to behind the dash to power the tablet.

My question; how do you have the tablet mounted? Attached to the stock stereo somehow? Any pics of your setup?

Also looking for a custom ROM to make the icons bigger....
You have to get creative with the tablet mounting....
I moved the stock headunit back and inch on its own brackets and then used a generic case for the tablet that I cut the cover flap off of. Then I just checked my alignment many times and used cardboard and electrical tape to get it tilted at the right angle. I taped the case in place and then I just snap the tablet into the case. This is fairly time consuming.

The USB in the glove box probably wont supply enough juice to keep charging that tablet while its in use, Its probably a standard USB charge rate of 0.5 amps vs the 2 amp the tablet wants. It will charge slowly while the screen is off, but while you are using the tablet and especially with GPS the incoming charge won't be enough to overcome the outgoing usage so the tablet will slowly drain.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 08:46 AM

You have to get creative with the tablet mounting....
I moved the stock headunit back and inch on its own brackets and then used a generic case for the tablet that I cut the cover flap off of. Then I just checked my alignment many times and used cardboard and electrical tape to get it tilted at the right angle. I taped the case in place and then I just snap the tablet into the case. This is fairly time consuming.

The USB in the glove box probably wont supply enough juice to keep charging that tablet while its in use, Its probably a standard USB charge rate of 0.5 amps vs the 2 amp the tablet wants. It will charge slowly while the screen is off, but while you are using the tablet and especially with GPS the incoming charge won't be enough to overcome the outgoing usage so the tablet will slowly drain.
Thanks for the help. I do appreciate it. I'll give it a shot.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if you are mounting your screen from the back, just summon your drafting skills to center the screen in the kit.

tape 2 string from corner to corner on the front of the dash kit to make an X. where they meet is the center.

download an app that shows you the center of the screen or just make an X on the screen using tape.

match up both X's.

you can also verify with a level app.

Last edited by momostallion; Feb 28, 2014 at 02:55 PM.

Quick Reply: In-Dash Tablet install questions