Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Compustar remote start

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2014, 08:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Compustar remote start

Hey guys just wanted to write up a quick review in case someone is looking into getting something similar installed on their car. I got a compustar pro slice remote starter installed yesterday. It took about 6 hour total, with troubleshooting with the installer and compustar directly. they did have to run a wire to an injector and splice into one of them to do something with the car knowing when its in idle or when it turns off, idk exactly.
-Anyways, on to the review. First off, the remote is ba, its so skinny and small and slides nicely into my pocket. As to the remote start, its so much better than the viper system, which I had on my old mazda. Theres no activation period for manuals like their is on the viper. With compustar you just pull up the e-brake, pull out the key and it keeps running for whatever you have the turbo timer set to. It can be 1, 2, or 4 minutes. Its awesome, I highly recommend it, especially for those of you in adverse weather.

Last edited by kosteniuks17; Jan 22, 2014 at 08:24 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had mine installed this week as well, on a 14 GSR. it works great, and yes the installer needed to hardwire the Tach, because for some reason, it was not getting the virtual tach, and going out of reservation mode.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 10:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will this work with the keyless cars? Also, how much was it?
Old Jan 30, 2014, 03:10 PM
Evolving Member

The guy that did it for me said it was possible but it would cost more if it was a keyless entry vehicle. I paid 599+50 bucks for the wire to the injector. So close to 700. And i suggest calling around the places because i was quoted 599, and 799 from two different installlers. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 03:08 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by kosteniuks17
The guy that did it for me said it was possible but it would cost more if it was a keyless entry vehicle. I paid 599+50 bucks for the wire to the injector. So close to 700. And i suggest calling around the places because i was quoted 599, and 799 from two different installlers. Let me know if you have any other questions.
didn't they use the iDatalink device? It's $50 and you flash it with a computer to match your vehicle and key transponder. As for tapping the fuel injector wire...uh...there's a wire that's a little safer on the ECU to tag the tachometer lead from (#1 coil, plug #4 I believe). If they vamp'd off a fuel injector, I'd worry about it losing connection during a pull and cutting the fuel off...
Old Feb 6, 2014, 05:03 PM
Evolving Member

Dang man, im actually not sure on that. Im actually planning on going back sometime to get one thing fixed so ill try to find out. But dang man if I knew that I would have had him do that. It does kind of scar me. If I were to loose fuel though, it will throw a code right? I mean I know it'll sound crappy too but just in case I dont notice it. Oh well cant do anything now, until maybe I get bigger injectors. Man you guys are so knowledgeable.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 01:46 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Dang man, im actually not sure on that. Im actually planning on going back sometime to get one thing fixed so ill try to find out. But dang man if I knew that I would have had him do that. It does kind of scar me. If I were to loose fuel though, it will throw a code right? I mean I know it'll sound crappy too but just in case I dont notice it. Oh well cant do anything now, until maybe I get bigger injectors. Man you guys are so knowledgeable.
yeah , but if you are at 20psi, full throttle, and lose your fuel to an entire cylinder, yeah it will throw a code, but it's gonna burn out a piston ring too
It's also a good rule of thumb to not increase resistance (aka, tap wires into) anything that is sensitive to impedance (fuel injectors, O2 sensors, etc) because it can slightly skew it. Also, since they do vibrate, I'd be worried that eventually the t-tap could cut the wire. It's just never good to go cutting into the fuel injector harness.

Road Race Engineering has the ECU pinout diagram on their website that shows the leads. It's literally a few feet from where they already tapped, so changing it should be very easy. You can print it out and show the installer.

We get this knowledge because at one point in time we have all done some monumentally stupid thing to our own cars, and we live to try and help others from not doing the same

Last edited by ikt; Feb 9, 2014 at 01:51 PM.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
OP, which CompuStar system did you install? Pro 1B (remote starter+security)?

Did the shop also install the security modules and how did those work for you so far?
Old Mar 9, 2014, 03:23 PM
Evolving Member

I got the compiustar slice. Its a security+remote start. Heres a link to it directly. I mostly got it for its smaller size, I just hate large things on my keychain. Range is fairly goo, there are a few on there that are about 2000 ft. longer range. Heres a link directly to the one I got:
http://www.compustar.com/remotestart...F-2W940-SS.php
Old Mar 12, 2014, 11:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You're fine at the injector. No need to be scared.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 11:10 AM

Hey guys just wanted to write up a quick review in case someone is looking into getting something similar installed on their car. I got a compustar pro slice remote starter installed yesterday. It took about 6 hour total, with troubleshooting with the installer and compustar directly. they did have to run a wire to an injector and splice into one of them to do something with the car knowing when its in idle or when it turns off, idk exactly.
-Anyways, on to the review. First off, the remote is ba, its so skinny and small and slides nicely into my pocket. As to the remote start, its so much better than the viper system, which I had on my old mazda. Theres no activation period for manuals like their is on the viper. With compustar you just pull up the e-brake, pull out the key and it keeps running for whatever you have the turbo timer set to. It can be 1, 2, or 4 minutes. Its awesome, I highly recommend it, especially for those of you in adverse weather.
Did you get a remote start only or is it an Alarm + RS?
Old Mar 12, 2014, 04:01 PM
Evolving Member

Its a remote start + alarm/security system. Now I was just thinking if I need to install a gps locator on it, haha. Ive read about some people having their evo's stolen. But I live in a descent neighborhood. Plus it will probably need a monthly subscription. It would be nice if the stock nag units had a gps locator on it somehow.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 06:58 PM

It's 119.99 a year. Not bad for piece of mind.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 05:53 AM
Evolving Member

Hmm interesting, turboncake what is the name of the gps device? Also is it costly to install, or is it something that you can install yourself? Probably a power tap in fusebox with gps transmitter? I dont have the stock nav, so would it be more for me to do?
Thanks for the help....
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:44 AM

It's a DR-3100 200 bucks and they just have to activate the unit and plug it in. Easy peezy. The only concern is if they used an "outboard bypass" if they did they would have to use a Blade-AL. If they used the blade then your in good shape!

Quick Reply: Compustar remote start