Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

2014 Evo X aftermarket navi compatibility issues

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2014, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 Evo X aftermarket navi compatibility issues

I recently tried to install an aftermarket navi (Pioneer AVIC-6000NEX) into my 2014 Evo X MR w/ stock rockford system and ran into a number of issues. This thread is meant to give a heads up and word of caution for anyone looking to do something similar.

If you've done your research, you'll know the RF system requires the Metra/Axxess MITO-02 harness adapter. This unit however does not work with the 2014 stock harnesses since Mitsubishi switched to a OE touchscreen audio system and the wiring is completely different from 08-13. When my audio installer contacted Metra, they were advised to go with the MITO-03 unit which as of this posting, has only been around for a week or two. As per Metra, the MITO-03 is designed for the 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander which has the same touchscreen radio as the lancers however they were uncertain of it's compatibility with the 2014 Evo X. Being that I had no alternative solutions, I bit the bullet and ordered the MITO-03 in hopes it would work with my Evo.

After receiving the MITO-03 unit today, I can confirm that it mostly does not work. Mostly meaning that the unit receives power however any audio coming out of the headunit cuts in and out of the speakers. My installer called Metra again after the installation and they were told that the only possible solution would be a firmware update to the MITO-03.

LONG STORY SHORT - AS OF 07/03/14 - AFTERMARKET NAVS ARE NOT COMPATIBLE WITH THE EVO X RF SOUND SYSTEM

A side notes:
- I am not 100% confident in my installer's technical knowledge - they have been around the 90s and have not updated their shop, their clothing, "shop" cars, or shop music since The Fast and the Furious first came out.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by stiggysaurus
I recently tried to install an aftermarket navi (Pioneer AVIC-6000NEX) into my 2014 Evo X MR w/ stock rockford system and ran into a number of issues. This thread is meant to give a heads up and word of caution for anyone looking to do something similar.

If you've done your research, you'll know the RF system requires the Metra/Axxess MITO-02 harness adapter. This unit however does not work with the 2014 stock harnesses since Mitsubishi switched to a OE touchscreen audio system and the wiring is completely different from 08-13. When my audio installer contacted Metra, they were advised to go with the MITO-03 unit which as of this posting, has only been around for a week or two. As per Metra, the MITO-03 is designed for the 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander which has the same touchscreen radio as the lancers however they were uncertain of it's compatibility with the 2014 Evo X. Being that I had no alternative solutions, I bit the bullet and ordered the MITO-03 in hopes it would work with my Evo.

After receiving the MITO-03 unit today, I can confirm that it mostly does not work. Mostly meaning that the unit receives power however any audio coming out of the headunit cuts in and out of the speakers. My installer called Metra again after the installation and they were told that the only possible solution would be a firmware update to the MITO-03.

LONG STORY SHORT - AS OF 07/03/14 - AFTERMARKET NAVS ARE NOT COMPATIBLE WITH THE EVO X RF SOUND SYSTEM

A side notes:
- I am not 100% confident in my installer's technical knowledge - they have been around the 90s and have not updated their shop, their clothing, "shop" cars, or shop music since The Fast and the Furious first came out.
Did you ever get the MITO-03 to work fully with your 14 Evox? I have a 14 X and am looking to see if the MITO-03 works now.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also have 14 MR but w/ standard touch screen radio.
And, self installed aftermarket single din HU, ext amp, front components, rear coaxials and a Baselink behind the driver's seat.
If you plan it out and take your time you can install a system of your own.
I find that Evo X is very very mod friendly for audio.
Door panels comes off easily and goes back on tight. I made some speaker baffles w/ MDF boards and minor padding w/ dynamat stuff.
And, there's tons of space behind the HU panel for wiring... So much easier than other sedans like my old VIIIs and corolla.
Tons of space under the driver seat for cross overs and a external amp.

It sounds pretty good.
For navi, I have 6" Tom Tom hooked to the second din.

Look into installing your HU as a simple system yourself and bypass the stock RF and your installers...

Last edited by spyderx; Nov 25, 2014 at 10:31 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 07:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just do it right the first time and do you own wiring and replace the amp. problem solved for an extra few hundred bucks or what ever quality amp you want to get.
Old May 31, 2015, 10:54 AM

I recently went through the same order and wanted to let people know that this is possible by wiring the head unit straight to the OEM harness rather than using an aftermarket harness and wiring to the speakers directly under the drivers seat where the amp connects.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Me? I would hook up a portable boom box (with RCA input) to the head unit - check to make sure the head unit is good, especially because the sound is intermittent. If the wiring harness was 'wrong' I would expect NO sound at all.

Good luck!