Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Android double din radio install review w/full working wheel controls no adapter!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2016, 06:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ancyker
This is something I've been working on. Currently in the planning phase. The only thing I haven't figured out is the steering wheel controls.

Remove the factory stereo "face", and the head unit stays behind. You can actually move the stock head unit back a little bit on the OEM brackets. This allows you to use stock wheel controls, blue tooth, etc. Works perfect.

I use Tablet Talk to get texts on the tablet, and EasyCap viewer for backup camera. Pretty seamless. Cobb Plano was pretty impressed with the setup when I went in for a tune a few weeks back haha.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 06:28 PM
Doe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hloc5
Will it work through the Mito-03 harness?
Sorry to butt in. I can tell that it does work on the mito -03 harness. I just did on my Chinese android head unit. It's colored green/black on the mito and below that wire is a ground. I tapped ( soldered ) onto the green/black for the positive of the steering control and ground of the mito 03 pins.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 11:08 AM

Friends please help. I installed a headunit i bought from amazon
Amazon.com : Newest JOYING 10.1 Inch 2 Din Head Unit Android 4.4.4 Kitkat Quad Core Car Stereo/Radio/Audio GPS Navigation System with Full HD 1024*600 Screen, Special Visual Experience, and Easy to Install : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Newest JOYING 10.1 Inch 2 Din Head Unit Android 4.4.4 Kitkat Quad Core Car Stereo/Radio/Audio GPS Navigation System with Full HD 1024*600 Screen, Special Visual Experience, and Easy to Install : Car Electronics
after installation, everything worked fine, then i went ahead to screw in all the screws and put the dash back, and I get a square and exclamation mark.

the weird thing is that my phone does connect to the headunit via bluetooth
and when i go to shut down the car, i can see the homescreen and a popup box saying its shutting down.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 11:11 AM

I am using a MITO-03, I don't know if that's the issue. But I updated the firmware on it. a
Old Feb 17, 2016, 02:25 PM

Nevermind, fixed.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Doe
Sorry to butt in. I can tell that it does work on the mito -03 harness. I just did on my Chinese android head unit. It's colored green/black on the mito and below that wire is a ground. I tapped ( soldered ) onto the green/black for the positive of the steering control and ground of the mito 03 pins.
Doe im confused, the green black is already connected to the signal wire (blue)
why am i not getting signal from my steering controls?
Old Feb 18, 2016, 09:56 AM

ah...nevermind...found it wasnt connected to key 1. do you know what key 2 does?
Old Jan 27, 2017, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlienofun
So I really wasn't happy with the stock non-nav touch screen. I did a bunch of research and found an android based double din radio by the brand Pumpkin on amazon. If you have never seen this before these head units are basically hybrid devices with an android tablet as the front end for an car stereo. The car radio end of the system works as a bluetooth host so you get A2DP streaming and audio hands free functions but no data connection. There are tons of variations of this thing available but I picked this one specifically because it has a dual core processor and built in wifi. Its a little cheaper via eBay directly from China but I didn’t mind paying slightly more to be able to return to amazon if needed. It also has built in USB host support I had an old ELM327 USB adapter laying around and it works perfectly with Dash Command! I can install pretty much anything from play store when close enough to a wifi signal and I'm considering getting a 3g dongle for it. I have had the unit up and running for a few days now so far I love it, the music streaming from bluetooth can break up a little when its opening apps or has a few already running but so far thats the only flaw I have experienced. One other really nice feature is it has an built in steering wheel adapter, I actually bought two metra harnesses and cut up one to get two extra pins in the other as I refuse to cut or "tap" the car site wiring harness. In the settings there is an app that lets you map the steering wheel buttons to any function you want - All the buttons work including the bluetooth call answer etc.

Install notes:
Order 2x metra harness (I didn’t use the one included with the american international dash kit at all) I dremeled one of the metras down to where I could just pop two pins back out. Use the pins from the hacked up harness to populate the good harness’s steering wheel connections. Ground the steering wheel control ground to one of the lugs on the din mount not in the radio harness itself (will introduce noise). Connect the signal wire to “KEY-1” we don’t use “KEY-2”. There is a service menu that requires password: 126 once in this menu you can set the boot logo to the mitsubishi diamond, Be careful don't try to enable the CANBUS or you will lose your steering wheel controls we don't use that and its not populated on the metra harness. There is also a menu for setting the button colors they are full RGB so you can set any color you like.

Deck:
Amazon.com : PUMPKIN Android 4.2 Universal DVD Player Car GPS/Bluetooth/SD/USB/FM/AM Radio 6.2 Inch Capacitive HD Touch Screen Stereo In-dash Navigation : Car Electronics

Dash Kit + Wiring harness - I couldn’t find it from any sellers that ship prime was the last thing to get here:
Amazon.com : Mitsubishi Lancer / Lancer Evolution (2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012) Aftermarket Radio Stereo Double Din Dash Installation Install Kit + Wire Harness : Vehicle Wiring Harnesses : Car Electronics

XDA Thread on a similar version of this unit:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2660662

Quick video of an issue i'm having with Torque (new OBD adapter on order)
Torque pro usb issue - 2014 EVO USB ELM327 works with dash command.. - YouTube

I just got my joying unit and did the wires to get my steering wheel to work. But no go, I went to settings and put the canbus to NULL.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by ghost911
I just got my joying unit and did the wires to get my steering wheel to work. But no go, I went to settings and put the canbus to NULL.
I see that your key 1 is not connected to the green and brown wire. That will give you steering wheel control keys
Old Jan 30, 2017, 09:16 AM

I see that your key 1 is not connected to the green and brown wire. That will give you steering wheel control keys
Key 1 is the brown wire. But I did connect it to the green wire and still nothing.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by ghost911
Key 1 is the brown wire. But I did connect it to the green wire and still nothing.
might be a simple fix...go to your joying settings and set the buttons.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 09:19 AM

Got it to work. <br /><br />Now I'm trying to hook up my n64 to the unit. I get sound but no video. I tried the video through all video ports and no go.

Last edited by ghost911; Jan 30, 2017 at 12:01 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 05:48 PM

might be a simple fix...go to your joying settings and set the buttons.
Can you send me the gps files to my email. Don't want to wait for them to send me the files. Thanks buddy.

Scgod6@hotmail.com
Old Mar 10, 2023, 03:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts
If your head unit has an HDMI input, here is another possible option. I engineered a solution to have EvoScan operate automatically on an integrated computer through any HDMI input capable head unit. I also created professional looking EvoScan custom gauges and a gauge layout to work with it. Maybe others can benefit from my work. Below is a link to the forum post with more details, pics, and the files needed to do this yourself. Any questions/comments should be directed to the main post please.

Note: You could also deploy this solution if you wanted to run other types of content from a computer; for example, to re-flash your ECU. You can also grab the gauges content for EvoScan to use for your own custom layout.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...l#post11967058