Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

L.E.D. Taillights trouble...help please..

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2015, 04:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
L.E.D. Taillights trouble...help please..

Hey guys, so a while back I purchased these tail lights

Anyways, I had a local shop put in them in and the brake light on the right one did not light up at all. I sent them back and got a replacement set. Now, I'm stuck in a dillema because the shop put in the new ones and yet again, the brake light on the right one does not light up HOWEVER sometimes I will start the car up and it will work just fine and all the brake lights light up, and then some days I'll turn the car on and the right brake light will not come on at all. Turning the car on and off doesn't seem to make any sort of difference it literally seems to be like one day it'll work and the other day it won't work....wtf :/

The stock ones when put back in seem to work just fine. However I really don't want to use the stock ones as I really really like the way these look, and the way they light up WHEN they work. Lol.

Thanks for the help guys...I'd like to give this back to a shop to look at it but I feel like they wouldn't even know where to start with a problem like this :/

Patrick
The following users liked this post:
Aaron Helms (Jul 22, 2017)
Old Mar 30, 2015, 04:57 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is it reversed polarity?
Old Mar 30, 2015, 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

No Idea mr evo, but here is the video i used.

Old Apr 1, 2015, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So from owning these tail lights and there is a thread also on these, they have horrible connections. So if the connection is not perfect even the slightest movement they wont work. I had to use electrical tape to keep them together, and I saw I wasn't alone. So I sent them back
Old Apr 1, 2015, 08:09 PM
Evolving Member

Looks like I may just switch them back out I guess..
Old Apr 2, 2015, 01:25 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo X10
So from owning these tail lights and there is a thread also on these, they have horrible connections. So if the connection is not perfect even the slightest movement they wont work. I had to use electrical tape to keep them together, and I saw I wasn't alone. So I sent them back

That's true too.
What you can do is cut some 1/2" long bare wire and place it in the connector.
Being careful not to touch both sides. It'll give you a better contact patch.
GL!
Old Apr 2, 2015, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
^or better yet, just cut out the connector and solder/splice/heat shrink each wire.

The connector is for the assembly line (ease of production) and for maintenance (to swap the light assy). You don't need a connector.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 01:37 PM
Evolving Member

Hmm not a bad idea....
Old Apr 4, 2015, 01:12 PM

yeah my suggestion would be get yourself some heat shrink tubing, soldering iron and make it a solid connection or get new connectors if you want to keep the OEM quick release available.

A really easy fix for electronic pieces.

Let us know what you decide.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 08:56 PM

Were you able to get this fixed? I'm interested in getting a pair too but don't want to deal with an issue that could end up causing money in fines.
Old May 14, 2015, 08:34 PM

OP, could you please share a link of where these can be purchased?

Thanks!
Old May 18, 2015, 04:21 AM

Lots of aftermarket garbage out there. I learned the hard way.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 08:58 AM

OP what year is your Evo? Did you ever get this fixed? I've heard a lot of people having trouble with LED's for 2012-2015 models. I just ordered a set of LED tails, I hope they work
Old Jul 22, 2017, 01:58 AM

You need to apply resistors to each power wire to each housing...the load impedance is sending a dramatic surge to the ecu. The resistor will regulate the amount of volts carried and eliminate any flictuations. I have the same lights and it tripped my barake switch and made my acd liggys flash...smfh. good luck
Old Jul 22, 2017, 02:11 AM

Resistors bro!!

Originally Posted by Buguy
Hey guys, so a while back I purchased these tail lights

Anyways, I had a local shop put in them in and the brake light on the right one did not light up at all. I sent them back and got a replacement set. Now, I'm stuck in a dillema because the shop put in the new ones and yet again, the brake light on the right one does not light up HOWEVER sometimes I will start the car up and it will work just fine and all the brake lights light up, and then some days I'll turn the car on and the right brake light will not come on at all. Turning the car on and off doesn't seem to make any sort of difference it literally seems to be like one day it'll work and the other day it won't work....wtf :/

The stock ones when put back in seem to work just fine. However I really don't want to use the stock ones as I really really like the way these look, and the way they light up WHEN they work. Lol.

Thanks for the help guys...I'd like to give this back to a shop to look at it but I feel like they wouldn't even know where to start with a problem like this :/

Patrick

Try this!!!

You need to apply resistors to each power wire to each housing...the load impedance is sending a dramatic surge to the ecu. The resistor will regulate the amount of volts carried and eliminate any flictuations. I have the same lights and it tripped my barake switch and made my acd liggys flash...smfh. good luck