Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

How to upgrade to rockford fosgate system

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2015, 11:23 AM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How to upgrade to rockford fosgate system

I'm thinking about getting an Evo X and I am curious how to upgrade to the Rockford Fosgate system.

Is it plug and play with speakers and sub. Prewired? Different head unit and amp? I was thinking maybe buying some take off parts at was curious what parts would I need?
Old Sep 15, 2015, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You have a few options here. The head unit can be upgraded independently, but the speakers and amp are matched so the upgrade options are -

1. keep stock radio and amp - use line level converter (like audiocontrol LC8i-you'll need something with signal summing) after stock amp to feed signal to new amp/new speakers

2. replace radio and keep all else stock - you will need dask kit, Mito-03, SWI interface, accessory cables (ipod or back up cam connection for example)

3. Rip out all factory **** and go aftermarket radio, amp, speakers, sub. Or just radio & speakers if you're trying to keep it cheap.

Shoot me a PM if you have any other questions

Last edited by jakeleclair2000; Sep 15, 2015 at 11:59 AM. Reason: more info
Old Sep 15, 2015, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'm also in the same boat i have a 08 gsr with rockford forget system i just wanna upgrade the radio with a nav and keep the speakers. so all i need is a) dash kit b)mito-03 c)swi interface? sorry to hijack the thread. what do you guys recommend? i'm old school guy and i still believe on alpine head units.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chapscalyx
i'm also in the same boat i have a 08 gsr with rockford forget system i just wanna upgrade the radio with a nav and keep the speakers. so all i need is a) dash kit b)mito-03 c)swi interface? sorry to hijack the thread. what do you guys recommend? i'm old school guy and i still believe on alpine head units.

This is what you need to replace the radio.

Dash kit - http://www.scosche.com/car-audio/200...kt-dbl-din-kit

Adaptor Harness - http://axxessinterfaces.com/index.ph...roducts_id=301

Steering wheel control interface - http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...&CategoryID=29

Head unit choice is subjective. Alpine does still make good units, but i would argue that you get better features for cheaper with a kenwood unit. And a longer warranty (2 years vs 1 year)
Old Sep 16, 2015, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by jakeleclair2000
This is what you need to replace the radio.

Dash kit - http://www.scosche.com/car-audio/200...kt-dbl-din-kit

Adaptor Harness - http://axxessinterfaces.com/index.ph...roducts_id=301

Steering wheel control interface - http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...&CategoryID=29

Head unit choice is subjective. Alpine does still make good units, but i would argue that you get better features for cheaper with a kenwood unit. And a longer warranty (2 years vs 1 year)
thanks for the info
Old Sep 17, 2015, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

+plus Juan! Thanks for the info.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 09:02 AM
gtr
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jakeleclair2000
You have a few options here. The head unit can be upgraded independently, but the speakers and amp are matched so the upgrade options are -

1. keep stock radio and amp - use line level converter (like audiocontrol LC8i-you'll need something with signal summing) after stock amp to feed signal to new amp/new speakers
Cool thanks, I haven't got my car yet but I may have to try something like this if the stereo is unbearable.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

Good info!
Old Mar 28, 2016, 07:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
The stock non-RF radio and speakers really aren't that bad. The clarity is good, and the bass is pretty good for a system without a sub-woofer. I've got a 2015 non-navi and even if I swapped in a nav-unit no way would I change out audio gear. Unless you're going to compete for something, not worth it IMO. Put that money into making her fast and sexy.
The following users liked this post:
JapaneseMuscle (Jan 1, 2022)
Old Feb 18, 2017, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

the MITO-03 has a lot of issues.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
I had no issues with it connecting it to the Pioneer AVH-4200NEX and their support is quick to answer, even on a Saturday afternoon or Sunday evening.
The following users liked this post:
koolzero (Aug 22, 2018)
Old Aug 22, 2018, 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fafaforza
I had no issues with it connecting it to the Pioneer AVH-4200NEX and their support is quick to answer, even on a Saturday afternoon or Sunday evening.
Is your MITO-02 still working ok? I hope I don't have any issues. I'm not too familiar with replacing head units so I don't know what I'm getting myself into. I'm curious about disabling the VSS so I can run video while the car is in motion, did you do this with yours?

I've got the following on order from Crutchfied:
Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX DVD Receiver
Axxess MITO-02 Amp Retention 07-Up Mitsu w/ Rockford
PAC SWI-CP2 Steering Wheel Radio Control Interface
Mitsubishi Lancer 2008-Up Kit I/DD
Old Aug 26, 2018, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by koolzero
Is your MITO-02 still working ok? I hope I don't have any issues. I'm not too familiar with replacing head units so I don't know what I'm getting myself into. I'm curious about disabling the VSS so I can run video while the car is in motion, did you do this with yours?

I've got the following on order from Crutchfied:
Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX DVD Receiver
Axxess MITO-02 Amp Retention 07-Up Mitsu w/ Rockford
PAC SWI-CP2 Steering Wheel Radio Control Interface
Mitsubishi Lancer 2008-Up Kit I/DD
So I'm not using the MITO-02, but am using the MITO-03. I have a Kenwood Double Din head unit installed with upgraded speakers. Stock amp/sub. So far what I've noticed is that from time to time the sound cuts out for like 1-2 seconds and then comes back. I followed the instructions to remove the stock bluetooth/sirius radio box in the glove box department.

Axxess told me that worse case scenario is to remove the stock amp and replace it with an aftermarket to solve the issue.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 08:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
I get the cutouts too, hmm. Thought it was my ground so I ran it to a good ground point and still have it. It was happening even when I had my stock amp out.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by fafaforza
I get the cutouts too, hmm. Thought it was my ground so I ran it to a good ground point and still have it. It was happening even when I had my stock amp out.
WTF? That's weird as hell. So there's some kind of fault happening then. Maybe its that damn MITO-02/03. That **** isn't working correctly. How often do you get cutouts? I did notice that if I did not remove the OEM bluetooth and radio box it would happen all the time. Every 5-10 seconds.

Quick Reply: How to upgrade to rockford fosgate system