Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Component or coaxial or both

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2016, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Component or coaxial or both

Hello all, installing Sony MEX100BT head unit this week, has built-in 4 channel 100w (40w rms x 4) amp.

Speakers, I've narrowed it down to a few options. No intentions of adding sub, so decent bass from speakers a must. No factory sub.

$400 Option B) Hertz HCX coaxial front, DSC coaxial
http://m.visions.ca/#/home-productde...58&sku=HCX1654

On second thought, many people saying pretty much ignore rears, so maybe cheapo Kenwood/pioneer in rear, gives $300- $350 budget for front. Hertz ESK components front, Kenwood or pioneer $50 rears.
http://m.visions.ca/#/home-productde...60&sku=ESK1655

Last edited by Adam Thompson; Oct 9, 2016 at 02:56 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
You'll usually get more bass out of component than coaxial on any given design. The upgraded OEM RF system puts the tweeters in the corner of the window on the door so you could probably get a couple OE housings to mount your component tweeter in.

With no sub, I would strongly recommend a thorough job of sound deadening the front doors to get the best response out of your new speakers. See this post for the best way you can probably go about that.
http://www.caraudiofabrication.com/sd-frontdoors
Old Oct 10, 2016, 08:06 AM

Thanks. I think I've narrowed down choices. Hertz DSK component front and for rear, either same DSK component or coaxial DSX. Seems DSK has 50hz bass response vs 60hz for DSX. I'd just install tweeter to front only. DSK are $199, DSX are $99.

However, the amp is only 40w rms at 4ohm, but if I wire speakers left/right in paralell, I can get amp doing 2ohms and 65w rms. DSK are 80w rms, DSK are 60w rms.

I was planning on dynamat 10" x 10" speaker area only for all 4.

Last edited by Adam Thompson; Oct 10, 2016 at 08:46 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 02:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
@adam thompson I would be very surprised if the built-in amp can handle the thermal load of running at 2 ohms.

And skip the components in the rear, it's a waste of money. Most of your volume and all of the imaging comes from the front components. Hell, i would even advise you to drop the rears and put that $ into the best set of front components you can afford (within your power levels of course)
Old Oct 13, 2016, 03:16 PM

thanks, yes friend on mine said the same, dont run it at 2ohms, not enough benefit vs shortening life of unit.

I ended up buying the Hertz DSK components front, and DSC coaxial rear. Will be powering 40w rms per channel. Applying some dynamat on door openings to give alittle extra sound stability.

I think i'll be more than happy with this setup for now, possibly 10" sub down the road. Apparently my model didn't have tweeter either, even though it sounded like it did. Just pre-wired, makes the factory speakers even more surprising considering price point of lancer. So cant wait to hear what the components will sound like.