Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

PERRIN Stage 2 Unichip Test and Tune

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2008, 08:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep in mind after you read this our Stage 3 results will be posted up right behind Stage 2. Besides the FMIC being added, there is one VERY important change to how we tune the car...

The full writeup can be found HERE on our site

Time to put that exhaust to the test! Last time we left the EVO X progress we had a nice and shiny turboback exhaust all done and awaiting testing. To refresh your memory see our page located HERE. Here are a few pics to jog your memory!

mmmmmmmmm V-bands....

So before we do anything, we are going to run the car a few times to make sure our power is right where we left it. While our power was exactly the same as it was when we last left it, we experimented with the Unichips Closed Loop boost control. In fact it worked very well! For some reason, the Unichip guys don't like using this but once setup it provide a slightly better response time, and after we pulled the car off the dyno it was much smoother and much better power delivery. Anyway, so we started with the same power, but better boost control that can not account for different load in differnet gears.

First up is the catback exhaust. The catback exhaust consists of 3" 304SS tubing along with a unique center inlet muffler. The OEM type of twin tip setup is used but with much better fitting 4" tips. On previous test we have done on stock EVO 8 and 9 we saw about 15WHP by bolting them on. On this test it would be a little different as our car was still in Stage 1 tune. So running more boost, and running 50WHP more than stock. My expectations are its going to make power, but not that much as we are getting close to maxing out the turbo.

Here is a graph to show you where we left the Unichip Tuned Stage 1.

I was very surprised to see the gains we saw! We saw 20WHP in some parts of the RPM band, and a pretty good average of about 10WHP. One really cool thing, as we expected, was the turbo spooling a little quicker. This made for about 50ft-lbs of torque gained at 3000RPM.

Same tuning as we left the car in stage one form, only the catback installed

We left the Unichip and did no tuning, and as quick as we could we bolted on the 3" downpipe and 3" high flow cat pipe. The most interesting thing is peak power didn't change much nor did peak torque. But the power was much more smoothed out, and much broader power gains were had. Meaning, we still got 20WHP, but as you can see below the area of 15-20WHP gained was much larger.

Same Stage 1 tune, but with our full turboback exhaust installed

Same goes for torque. Similar peak torque gained, but much broader. The downpipe and cat allowed the turbo to spool even quicker which made the TQ at 3000RPM go from about 240 to about 300! That's 60ft-lbs of torque! So far so good, and now it was time to tune!

Now we tuned the ECU after installing the parts, and got a few more HP everywhere

The ECU tuning was worth about 20WHP in the midrange, and great TQ at lower RPM, but still the same power up top. But again much smoother power delivery. If we compare Stage 1 tuning vs Stage 2 with the turboback installed, the gains are still very good! Look at the TQ its huge!

Stage 1 vs Stage 2, not hard to see the difference

The Stage 2 setup vs Stage 1 setup are worth about 30 Peak WHP and about 30ft-lbs of torque. And all this with no loss in power! Maybe this EVO can have some low end grunt? Both the Stage 1 and Stage 2 setups are something we are going to be offering so keep an eye out for them. So far the Piggyback ECU is actually working very well. At this stage of our EVO tuning we have a couple cars running around with it, and so far so good. Now its time for Stage 3 tuning with the FMIC. But first we have to prove the FMIC........
Old Jun 26, 2008, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

How loud is this system compared to stock?? Any sound clips?
Old Jun 26, 2008, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Love the results. I still would like to see some installed pics of the unichip device and some how-tos. All of it looks very promising, but Im a visual person. Also will final production peice of exhaust be mandrel bent?

Last but not least where have you guys been over on evoX forums? You were all over it early on, but now you have just dissappeared. Doesnt take that long just to update to let us know whats in the works like AMS and BuSchur have been doing. Not complaining just a question.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 10:42 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TheBigLubinsky
How loud is this system compared to stock?? Any sound clips?
Here is the clip!

Originally Posted by dcasandman
Love the results. I still would like to see some installed pics of the unichip device and some how-tos. All of it looks very promising, but Im a visual person. Also will final production peice of exhaust be mandrel bent?

Last but not least where have you guys been over on evoX forums? You were all over it early on, but now you have just dissappeared. Doesnt take that long just to update to let us know whats in the works like AMS and BuSchur have been doing. Not complaining just a question.
THIS IS WHERE ALL THE PICS ARE OF THE SYSTEM.

We also made a post about this LOCATED HERE

But here is one to give you a quick idea! Of course the final part is going to mandrel bent. We would NEVER make an exhaust that isn't mandrel bent. Even the prototypes we build are mandrel bent.

On your second note about EVOX forums, yup we have been busy, but there is a reason why we have a been quiet about the Unichip results. More on this later.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Silly question. Why aren't you guys tuning the ECU with Ecutek
Old Jun 26, 2008, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PERRIN_Jeff
On your second note about EVOX forums, yup we have been busy, but there is a reason why we have a been quiet about the Unichip results. More on this later.
This little teaser gives me a funny feeling inside. Im hoping it has to do with a nice little harness so no splicing! If so I will be calling soon.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 01:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Not silly at all. When we started tuning the X there was no engine managment out for it. We did our Stage 1 testing and tuning using a Unichip.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=334143
So we made great consistent power, and felt it was a great option.

But since you mentioned ECUTEK, well that is what i was slightly referring to in the beginning of the post. We did lots of tuning with the UNICHIP and then out comes ECUTEK with their software.............

................Yes, we bought it and have tuned our car in Stage 3 form, and have a couple cars coming in to prove our mapping this week. We will post up our info and results in a few.

To keep you entertained here are the results posted on our website!!
Old Jun 26, 2008, 09:28 PM

nice work but unfortunately i am kinda confused about the dynographs and i would like to clear something up....

Ok in the first dynograph u guys made 313.0WHP and 324.9WTQ, but in the second graph and along with every other graph that has the stage 1 comparison, they are completely different.

example: the SECOND graph says 278.2WHP and 303.2WTQ, THIRD graph says 325.3WHP??? and 302.4WTQ

could someone please clear this up for me cuz i see completely different numbers each time WITH THE SAME STAGE 1 TUNE.

congrats on the nice stuff perrin!!! (turboback exhaust and front mount intrcooler... all very nice) im not angry or trying to flame out or anything jus really need to clear this up lol....

NEED INPUT PLEASE
Old Jun 27, 2008, 12:02 PM

anyone?...
Old Jun 27, 2008, 06:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by evoxdreamz
nice work but unfortunately i am kinda confused about the dynographs and i would like to clear something up....

Ok in the first dynograph u guys made 313.0WHP and 324.9WTQ, but in the second graph and along with every other graph that has the stage 1 comparison, they are completely different.

example: the SECOND graph says 278.2WHP and 303.2WTQ, THIRD graph says 325.3WHP??? and 302.4WTQ

could someone please clear this up for me cuz i see completely different numbers each time WITH THE SAME STAGE 1 TUNE.

congrats on the nice stuff perrin!!! (turboback exhaust and front mount intrcooler... all very nice) im not angry or trying to flame out or anything jus really need to clear this up lol....

NEED INPUT PLEASE
Good questions!
The numbers in the boxes are where the yellow and green markers are placed. This is why they are not the same all the time. I know this doesn't answer your question, but keep it in mind if you only looking at the boxes with numbers in them.

-Graph number one shows STock vs STage 1 (no parts installed just tuning)
-Graph number 2 shows STage 1 re-ran 3 weeks later (same tune) to get a baseline for the day, then we pulled the Catback off and that is the purple line showing the difference.
-Graph 3 shows the same STage 1 re-run, and then the power we made from installing the catpipe and downpipe. (light blue line) STill stage 1 tuning.
-Graph 4 shows the above run (light blue line) Turbo back installed, vs. STage 2 ECU tuning. Basically we just did an ECU retune to take advantage of the new exhaust installed.
-The last graph shows Stage one (the way we started that day) and the final Stage 2 results.

Hope that helps!
Old Jun 27, 2008, 10:44 PM

thanks alot for helping... =] lol, n yes i do understand now. The numbers are showing what the marker is at ( the plus + looking marker) and not the max whp and wtq. thnx alot forthe help
Old Jul 1, 2008, 01:11 PM
Former Sponsor

No problem, i know they can be confusing to look at.