Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

PERRIN Stage 3 Unich......wait, no more Unichip??

Old Jun 26, 2008, 02:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PERRIN Stage 3 Unich......wait, no more Unichip??

The full writeup can also be found on our website HERE

PERRIN Stage 3 Uni......wait, no more Unichip?????

Stage 2 Unichip tuning, and turboback exhaust is all done and proven. We then did our FMIC testing and showed the HP gains from it and discovered a major flaw in the EVO's new engine design. Read HERE for our Base runs, read HERE for our Stage 1 results, read HERE for our Stage 2, and read HERE to read about the FMIC. Now it was time to tune the Unichip with the FMIC and see what we can do. Well, ya, so we decided to make a change to how we tune the EVO X. The Unichip is a great ECU tuning tool, its easy to tune, but there are some issues with it that don't make it 100% perfect.

So what did we change to? ECUTEK! Its pretty much the only other ECU tuning method out there. So why did we change? Well, besides being able to offer a product that is also proven, we could offer a product no one could complain about installation with. The hardwiring of the Unichip leads to quite a few potential issues. All of which could lead to engine failures, and this is not good for anyone! Its not that we had issues with tuning our Unichip'ed cars, but we saw a variant from one car to another with a very small difference in a resistor used to pull down the current from the MAF sensor. We also didn't feel this would be a 100% repeatable thing, and while we could tune around this on the dyno, we wouldn't be able to tune everyone's car.

Also we can control timing and fueling completely separate from one another. We could control both before, but changing the MAF signal effects the timing. This also leads to having to trick the MAF sensor and MAP sensor to make sure the ECU didn't hit boost cut. Then there is the one thing I was most excited about, MIVEC control! More on this later!

That feels good to get off our chest...............

This is where we left our car after our FMIC test. This was our Stage 3 setup, which includes our Turboback Exhaust, and FMIC along with a Unichip tune, or at least and ECU tune. 340ft-lbs of torque and 350WHP, not bad, and very solid feeling!
So before we get to the ECUTEK flashing, what do we think we are going to find? Well, like when we have people ask us about different ECU's and if there is one better than another, the answer is they all should be able to make the same power if tuned properly. An engine is only going to take so much timing, its only going run so lean, and so on. So I think the results will be the same, as we tuned the Unichip until we felt it was a safe repeatable level. The advantage the Unichip has is we used our EBCS on it which means it should build boost better than the stock ECU and hold more to redline. But the ECUTEK can control the cams. So who will win?

Before we get too deep into the ECU, ECUTEK has both the original ECU rom and the newer updated one. Because we had time, we ran them back to back (well 273 seconds back to back). ZERO difference on the dyno. While we expected to see more boost, or leaner or something, nope nothing.

But an intersted comparo we did. When we flashed the ECU with the stock ECU rom i noticed the numbers looked very similar to stock......

Very strange, but this is showing our car in stock form, versus Stage 3 with no ECU tuning. This means turboback exhaust is installed, with our FMIC. So why is it not much better? Well the stock parts at stock boost levels work pretty well. But start turning up the boost and then things start to see their faults. Its goes to show, ECU tuning will make more power for less money than just about anything!

As expected the peak power and peak torque were very similar. This is because the engine was brought very close to its max power in both tuning methods. But where the ECUTEK really kicks *** is with playing with the MIVEC controls. Its obvious by the graphs how it effects spool and low end power.

Like we did on our last EVO 9 installment, with the Cobb AccessPORT we made changes to the MIVEC map instantly and found where more advance and less advanced worked and made more power. While we could do this instantly on the AP, with the ECUTEK every change required a reflash of the ECU. Each flash takes 273 seconds, so the engine can cool of quite a bit here and make it hard to do really good back to back tests when you have to make little changes. But none the less we did and spent quite a bit of time playing with both the exhaust and intake cam changes. Its unbelievable how much difference that the MIVEC makes to the low end power. Look out STI's here comes some low end power from the EVO!

Onto our boost findings. So its obvious changing the MIVEC tables makes a huge difference in spool, so how much exactly?

That's right 300RPM! It is an unbelievably huge difference on the road. This car has much less of that off boost lag. Its like it gained .5 liters of displacement! The ECUTEK boost curve is actually lower at redline than the UNICHIP. This could be from a couple of things. The Unichip had our EBCS solenoid installed, which may help. But also the UNICHIP can't control the cams so some of the increase is boost could be from the "Unichip Trickery" causing the cams to be running more cam advance. Yes too much cam advance can cause excessive boost pressure at redline, but this doesn't mean more power!

One last test we did after we did a few more back to back runs to ensure its repeatability, is we tested another new part. The turbo inlet hose! This part in OEM form is a rubber hose that is a bit narrow, and the internals are opposite of smooth. The corrugated rubber inner doesn't make for the smoothest air flow to the turbo. So it sounds like its got to make a difference.

Well maybe not quite as much difference as I hoped, but it sure did help the turbo spool even quicker. What I can't imagine is how much quicker the turbo spooled compared to where we started even before our stage 2 setup. In stock form at 3000RPM we hit 240ft-lbs and 20psi of boost. With the final Stage 3 setup with the ECUTEK tuning, we were hitting almost 360ftlbs! Now boost was hitting 20psi at 2500RPM. That is just nuts!

Without a doubt the ECUTEK software is a much better tuner tool, and to the end user we feel you will be happier with its performance. The ECUTEK flashes are $695 each compared to the $595 for the Unichip in hardwire form. So the ECUTEK is more expensive, but with no hardwiring. The only thing is we need your ECU to flash it. Not a big deal to us, but for the end user you will have to send us your ECU or drive by with your car and we can flash it. If you are interested in dyno tuning give us a ring!

Look for our re-tests with the ECUTEK software and our Stage 1 setup and stage 2 setups. WE have cars lined up already to prove our maps with and for those interested in a Stage 3 PERRIN ECUTEK flash right now, and have better than 91 fuel, give us a ring!

I know, not too many pics of cars and parts in this article, but at least there are some dyno graphs to drool over!
Old Jun 26, 2008, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

-100 all that build up today just to find out that we have another Eccutek tuner. No offence Im happy with the great numbers and the success of Eccutek, but I like competition and right now there is non. Guess we will have to see what Cobb and vishnu
Old Jun 26, 2008, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

With all the temp probes installed .. why don't you do a dynamic run on a track or closed road course ??

I can bet you'll get MUCH lower temperatures on the EGT with the NACA ducts doing it's job ..

You are comparing a static test condition versus what the overall design package is supposed to do .. but good job seriously on this

On the JDM evos, you get IC waterspray (which surprisingly you guys coined it as gimmic ) which effectively when it starts working (that's the problem ) improves the cooling efficiency of the stock IC ..
Old Jun 26, 2008, 06:15 PM
Former Sponsor

The all day build up was i thought a good thing. The Unichip product worked, but we got better results with the ECUTEK product. Also i think our results were very good compared to what others are offering.

Also we are not selling these with minor tunes, but ones that make big power, and HUGE low end power gains. Along with this, and a price that is competitive we feel we have a slight edge over others offering similar flashes. Also as we tune more cars, we will post up the before and afters they see also.

Remember this is a tuner tool, and when the COBB stuff is done, you will see us push that also.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 06:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by gunzo
With all the temp probes installed .. why don't you do a dynamic run on a track or closed road course ??

I can bet you'll get MUCH lower temperatures on the EGT with the NACA ducts doing it's job ..

You are comparing a static test condition versus what the overall design package is supposed to do .. but good job seriously on this

On the JDM evos, you get IC waterspray (which surprisingly you guys coined it as gimmic ) which effectively when it starts working (that's the problem ) improves the cooling efficiency of the stock IC ..
Well we were at the track on Tuesday (pics and vids soon) and we did beat the hell out of the car with no issues. EGT's were peaking at 1650. We didn't have our other TC-4 hooked up to read all the temps sensors during the runs. But we did see a difference on the road on both the EGT's and IC temps. Nut not much. I don't think that duct does much other than just get some air moving around. But static test conditions are a good thing. Esspecially with our setup, (which is not too overpowering) it makes for very consistent runs, and when we do back to back we can get very good and accurate results. Also once on the road it just means things will work that much better! But if you read our posting we did on the FMIC there is alot of good temp info there. It think you might have meant to post your question there. But its no big deal at all!
Old Jun 26, 2008, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Love how detailed every new thread is.

Could you post a graph comparing the X in 100% stock form, to the last stage 3 ecutek pull?
Old Jun 26, 2008, 06:46 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
I'm glad you guys switched. I was a big piggyback supporter for years, and there are some good things, but there are a lot more compromises.

EcuTeK is just a cleaner, more natural interface and has more tuning tools. Plus the Unichip not having control of Mivec before had to suck. The best compliment I can bestow on my EcuTeK mapped car is the power delivery is seamless, and its still super strong as it runs into the new upped rev limiter at 7900rpm.

Good work! Thanks for sharing.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

I asked this on EvoX, but for those that dont read stuff over there. AMS and Buschur are asking 500 dollars for their mail-in flashes are you guys going to match that? Also, will you have flashes for people with just 91oct gas???
Old Jun 26, 2008, 11:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PERRIN_Jeff
Well we were at the track on Tuesday (pics and vids soon) and we did beat the hell out of the car with no issues. EGT's were peaking at 1650. We didn't have our other TC-4 hooked up to read all the temps sensors during the runs. But we did see a difference on the road on both the EGT's and IC temps. Nut not much. I don't think that duct does much other than just get some air moving around. But static test conditions are a good thing. Esspecially with our setup, (which is not too overpowering) it makes for very consistent runs, and when we do back to back we can get very good and accurate results. Also once on the road it just means things will work that much better! But if you read our posting we did on the FMIC there is alot of good temp info there. It think you might have meant to post your question there. But its no big deal at all!
you DO KNOW you got to remove the shielding that blocks about 2/3 of the NACA duct ??

You're right .. I posted in the wrong thread .. should be the IC thread
Old Jun 27, 2008, 05:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Alexander
Love how detailed every new thread is.

Could you post a graph comparing the X in 100% stock form, to the last stage 3 ecutek pull?
Got it, just give me a few.

Originally Posted by Noize
I'm glad you guys switched. I was a big piggyback supporter for years, and there are some good things, but there are a lot more compromises.

EcuTeK is just a cleaner, more natural interface and has more tuning tools. Plus the Unichip not having control of Mivec before had to suck. The best compliment I can bestow on my EcuTeK mapped car is the power delivery is seamless, and its still super strong as it runs into the new upped rev limiter at 7900rpm.

Good work! Thanks for sharing.
No problem!

Originally Posted by dcasandman
I asked this on EvoX, but for those that dont read stuff over there. AMS and Buschur are asking 500 dollars for their mail-in flashes are you guys going to match that? Also, will you have flashes for people with just 91oct gas???
Our price is $579.99, this includes Next Day Air shipping back to you. At this point 91 is a no go, but we will work on it. Its just we don't get to California much! But we are working on a solution for that.

Originally Posted by gunzo
you DO KNOW you got to remove the shielding that blocks about 2/3 of the NACA duct ??

You're right .. I posted in the wrong thread .. should be the IC thread
No problem, we made it kind of confusing by posting about 5 things at once. I did go look at the NACA duct and it can be opened up a little. We finished a pretty basic shield to prove that it will solve the problem. We will let you all know how it works!
Old Jun 27, 2008, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Jeff goes into so many details to make sure you understand what they've done and why. I like this about Perrin, is not just the numbers but how they were achieved this helps you understand what's happening so that you can mod your car in a logical order.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 12:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Just curious as to why it takes Ecutek more than four minutes to flash changes to mivec maps. Has this always been the case with Ecutek or is this Evo X specific?
Old Jun 28, 2008, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Nice numbers Jeff! and Perrin!

I have similar numbers to yours and infact, our graphs look similar , except your spooled 1500 or RPM's sooner...!!!! haha

Check it out:

Mine:

Yours:

Congrats to you guys! don't you hate how you have to wait 4 minutes inbetween flashes on the ECUTek, lol

-Chris
Old Jun 28, 2008, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Question,

Are you guys still using the Old Style Dyna Pack?

And by the date of your graphs... it looks like you've been holding out for quite a while!

-Chris
Old Jun 28, 2008, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
DC_TypeR,

Why does your torque chart have twin torque peaks, one at 3300 rpm and one at 4300 rpm? Some other Evo Xs seem to do the same thing. Why is that?

Do you know why it take Ecutek so long to flash the ECU? 273 seconds is a long time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PERRIN Stage 3 Unich......wait, no more Unichip??