Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

HKS EVC VI Issues

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2008, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HKS EVC VI Issues

Finished installing the EVC and I've been having problems ever since.. lol

Basically the instructions were followed exact. Had a few shop techs take a look at it and everything checked out.

When I got on the road, and gave it some gas all of a sudden the car stalled. Almost felt like fuel cut, but I had not even hit 15psi. Immediately afterwards, the engine was revving on it's own like up to ~2-2.5K rpms or something, but it was literally just revving itself.

The car drives fine in vacuum but once boost starts to build is when I run into the issues. I am thinking there is perhaps a boost leak that I cannot find (double checked all hoses and connections)

As for the wiring, none of the wires were cut. Only removed a part of the insulation and soldiered the HKS harness to it and the EVC "ok'ed" everything and did not give an error codes to trouble shoot.

If anyone has run into a similar situation let me know or any information at all will be greatly appreciated.

brian
Old Nov 13, 2008, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you set it up correctly? You need to reset the unit, do a pull to let the EVC learn the waste gate boost pressure, then set your desired level after that. I failed to do this and set my boost right away and was hitting boost cut .

Only other thing it sounds like is you have a MASSIVE boost leak. I had this issues when a t bolt clamp lessened itself up and would leak once the turbo started working. Check to make sure everything is nice and tight everywhere and go for it again.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 04:58 PM
SiC
Evolved Member

Are you running the stock intake or an aftermarket one? Did you put a plug on the bung for the stock boost control solenoid on the intake pipe (air filter to turbo pipe)?
Old Nov 13, 2008, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mitchubishi
Did you set it up correctly? You need to reset the unit, do a pull to let the EVC learn the waste gate boost pressure, then set your desired level after that. I failed to do this and set my boost right away and was hitting boost cut .

Only other thing it sounds like is you have a MASSIVE boost leak. I had this issues when a t bolt clamp lessened itself up and would leak once the turbo started working. Check to make sure everything is nice and tight everywhere and go for it again.
I set it up exactly as the instructions said. For the wiring I used pin 4 (ignition #1 coil) and pin 10 (throttle position sensor main). As for the electrical, grounded it and for the 12v used a wire from the fuse box in the engine bay that only comes on when the car is turned on and disables when the ignition is off.

Side Thought: Maybe the wire I spliced for the 12v is to something vital that is causing the issue although it might not be. What I did was use a volt meter and with a needle checked each pin on the fuse box harness in the engine bay. But since its strictly used to electricity I am not sure if it could be a possible cause. What I will try is to find another wire may on the car that I can draw the 12 volts from. (let me know what you guys used)

I cannot do a pull without the car stalling or doing whatever it is doing. I checked all the hoses and pipes to make sure there is no boost leak so other than that I may have to do a leak test.

What my car does is the car is fine in vacuum and the turbo can begin spooling, maybe even hit a couple pounds of boost but anything more than that the car stalls (center screen goes yellow request having the car checked) and while i am coasting the engine just revs all one its own but it doesnt sound right. I have to turn the car off for a few seconds and turn it back one again then it does back to being drivable.

BTW Is there an easy way to complete reset the EVC without disconnecting the battery?

I set the maximum baseline / default boost on the EVC to 20 psi in case anyone is wondering.

Originally Posted by SiC
Are you running the stock intake or an aftermarket one? Did you put a plug on the bung for the stock boost control solenoid on the intake pipe (air filter to turbo pipe)?
I have the ARC induction box intake and I did plug off the factory boost solenoid as well as the bung on the intake pipe.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 06:50 PM
SiC
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dankaristo
BTW Is there an easy way to complete reset the EVC without disconnecting the battery?
Yes the last setting in the EVC is reset all, it should be in the manual.

Set your initial boost to 13 psi, this is what the factory wastegate actuator is set for. Basically that is the amount of boost you will achieve if you bypass the stock solenoid or any boost controller. Also for the initial offset, it should be set to somewhere near 85-87%.
Old Nov 15, 2008, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Mitchubishi
I cannot find any boost leaks so this could be one part.

Originally Posted by SiC
Yes the last setting in the EVC is reset all, it should be in the manual.

Set your initial boost to 13 psi, this is what the factory wastegate actuator is set for. Basically that is the amount of boost you will achieve if you bypass the stock solenoid or any boost controller. Also for the initial offset, it should be set to somewhere near 85-87%.
This could be the second part.

I will try both of these together and hopefully that would solve the problem.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 04:11 PM

I love forums..!!! The boost controller is working great. If anything happens Ill post.

thanks guys, I completely redid the install and its working!

brian

p.s. to those who want my opinion on the EVC VI, I think its awesome. Feels like a completely different car and the boost is consistent all the way through since its constantly working to keep the boost at where you set it. Great buy, highly recommended.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by dankaristo
I love forums..!!! The boost controller is working great. If anything happens Ill post.

thanks guys, I completely redid the install and its working!

brian

p.s. to those who want my opinion on the EVC VI, I think its awesome. Feels like a completely different car and the boost is consistent all the way through since its constantly working to keep the boost at where you set it. Great buy, highly recommended.
I cannot get my EVC 6 to get an Tach signal nor a Throttle signal. I contacted HKS and they stated that it was not possible on the EVO X. You state that you used pin 4 and 10. Did that work? It is not working on my car??
Old Sep 17, 2010, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

The hks evc 6 and greddy profec spec b are very good controllers, having owned both of them, they are very equal.. I have found out, that the initial boost setting(wastegate opening psi), needs to be lower than 11psi for sure. Its the same setting as the greddy profec spec b's GAIN setting.. which I leave at the lowest setting 5% which is off.. this allows the controller to make sure the wastegate remains closed before full boost hits.. if the initail setting is too high on the hks evc, then it will cause the car to spool to inconsistently
Old Sep 17, 2010, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

The hks evc 6 and greddy profec spec b are very good controllers, having owned both of them, they are very equal.. I have found out, that the initial boost setting(wastegate opening psi), needs to be lower than 11psi for sure. Its the same setting as the greddy profec spec b's GAIN setting.. which I leave at the lowest setting 5% which is off.. this allows the controller to make sure the wastegate remains closed before full boost hits.. if the initail setting is too high on the hks evc, then it will cause the car to spool to inconsistently