Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Torque limiter #1-#4 in ECUflash for EVO X MR

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2009, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Torque limiter #1-#4 in ECUflash for EVO X MR

Does anyone know what these tables in ECUflash are for? Is this what i would change to raise the torque limit on the MR tranny? If so, how? raise by a few points, 100 points? lower them? I am getting a torque limit exceeded code.

SS-T is giving me the finger and is in a limp mode that comes back right away when the code is cleared out by the dealer. I need help.

308ft/lbs on the mustang dyno....then i got all the codes and SST issues. My dealer has no clue what is wrong it seems. My car has been in the shop since last Monday
Old Jul 5, 2009, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
As far as I know you need to bump up the "Airflow Check #1 - #3" and the "Torque Limiter #1-#3" tables up a bit for throttle positions that have the potential to exceed ~15 psi in any gear. This ends up being the 34.9% throttle to 90.2% throttle columns on the charts at 1500 and beyond. On the stock turbo a good guide is to bump the 34.9% column +15 and for the 40.0% column about +20. Peak changes should taper upward by the 90.2% column at around +30 or +35 at the torque peak which is around 3500-4000 even with aggressive mivec changes.

Leave the other numbers alone as changing them can cause other issues to crop up such as not enough airflow being detected and throw your car into a limp mode where no boost is allowed.

On a slower spooling turbo I ended up having to undo some increases at 1500 and 2000 and not really increase the values much until 2500 or at WOT and low RPM in 4th/5th it would enter Limp mode. Overall my entire right side of the chart is shifted down 500 rpm's and so far has been working great with changes of about +20 in the 34.9% columns increasing to about +60 at the torque peak of 4000-4500 range. I also have less taper towards the higher RPM's in my charts to account for the fact that the turbo doesn't fall off as much like the stock turbo.

"Airflow Check #4" and the "Torque Limiter #4" tables are somewhat of a mystery and you shouldn't need to adjust them. I ended up experimenting with keeping the 60.4% column at 250 limits from 3500 - 8000 and interpolating the 50.2% column towards the 40% column, so far no error codes have resulted and I'm not sure it was necessary.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by Hiboost; Jul 5, 2009 at 02:25 PM.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 07:15 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Make sure you've got a lot of money in the bank. You're heading down the path of blowing up an $8000 transmission.

You've far exceeded the torque capacity of the stock transmission. It's rated at 350 ft/lbs at the flywheel. That's why you're getting the codes.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by adambl03
Make sure you've got a lot of money in the bank. You're heading down the path of blowing up an $8000 transmission.

You've far exceeded the torque capacity of the stock transmission. It's rated at 350 ft/lbs at the flywheel. That's why you're getting the codes.
Indeed, those limits were put in place for a reason. On one hand you may be lucky and not run into problems but on the other hand it may be too much. I would consider lowering the boost at your current torque peak and see if that can soften how much torque is hitting the MR tranny all at once. That will let you still keep a nice mid and top end RPM with quite a bit less risk.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 11:44 AM

Thanks for the info Hiboost! We may have to bump up the limits a bit like you mentioned, but at the same time, reduce overall torque by lowering the boost a few psi to keep it safe. I like the big torque hit but the tranny does not seem to be a fan of it. The ECU anyways.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 12:53 PM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by Ray Knight
Thanks for the info Hiboost! We may have to bump up the limits a bit like you mentioned, but at the same time, reduce overall torque by lowering the boost a few psi to keep it safe. I like the big torque hit but the tranny does not seem to be a fan of it. The ECU anyways.
It's not the ECU that isn't happy. It's the mechanical parts of the TC-SST. The ECU is simply protecting the mechanical parts which weren't made to handle the power level your car has.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

It's not the ECU that isn't happy. It's the mechanical parts of the TC-SST. The ECU is simply protecting the mechanical parts which weren't made to handle the power level your car has.
And exactly how do you know this? Have you repeatedly destroyed SSTs when pushing them past a certain point? Or, is it simply because that's what's stated on the Getrag site? Because if that's the case, I don't think *anyone* in the community knows whether it's a limitation of the clutch system, internal gears, or both. Also, it's tough to say what kind of safety buffer Getrag figured into their advertised limits. It's doubtful that right at 350ft-lbs the gearbox just explodes.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 03:07 PM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by madcows
And exactly how do you know this? Have you repeatedly destroyed SSTs when pushing them past a certain point? Or, is it simply because that's what's stated on the Getrag site? Because if that's the case, I don't think *anyone* in the community knows whether it's a limitation of the clutch system, internal gears, or both. Also, it's tough to say what kind of safety buffer Getrag figured into their advertised limits. It's doubtful that right at 350ft-lbs the gearbox just explodes.
And exactly why do you believe I'm wrong? Do some research. You've got a lot to learn about dual-clutch transmissions. I've been in the VW/Audi scene (and have worked for both manufacturers) for years and know the dual-clutch transmission system very well.

But, just to humor you. There are many noted cases of blown clutch packs in TC-SST transmissions. Browse this site and the other Evo X site. All of them were pushing their torque level beyond the rated capacity. This gentleman is well beyond the rated capacity. He's at risk of burning up the clutch packs in his transmission and his ECU is telling him exactly that.

Getrag rates the clutches to hold a certain torque rating because that's all they were built to handle. It's really no different than a traditional manual transmission clutch. All clutches are built to hold a certain amount of torque. Once you go beyond that, you run the risk of burning of the clutch. On a traditional manual, it isn't much of a big deal because you can replace the clutch with a new one for $1000 and it's a relatively painless procedure. With the TC-SST, it's a sealed unit. You currently have to replace the entire transmission at this point. Right now, there is one company creating new clutch packs that can be installed in the stock TC-SST. I don't know if anyone has had them installed successfully. Nor do I know the cost.

So, to the OP. You can listen to this other guy and continue down the path you're headed. Just understand you are running the risk of burning up the clutch packs in your expensive transmission.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

And exactly why do you believe I'm wrong? Do some research. You've got a lot to learn about dual-clutch transmissions. I've been in the VW/Audi scene (and have worked for both manufacturers) for years and know the dual-clutch transmission system very well.

But, just to humor you. There are many noted cases of blown clutch packs in TC-SST transmissions. Browse this site and the other Evo X site. All of them were pushing their torque level beyond the rated capacity. This gentleman is well beyond the rated capacity. He's at risk of burning up the clutch packs in his transmission and his ECU is telling him exactly that.

Getrag rates the clutches to hold a certain torque rating because that's all they were built to handle. It's really no different than a traditional manual transmission clutch. All clutches are built to hold a certain amount of torque. Once you go beyond that, you run the risk of burning of the clutch. On a traditional manual, it isn't much of a big deal because you can replace the clutch with a new one for $1000 and it's a relatively painless procedure. With the TC-SST, it's a sealed unit. You currently have to replace the entire transmission at this point. Right now, there is one company creating new clutch packs that can be installed in the stock TC-SST. I don't know if anyone has had them installed successfully. Nor do I know the cost.

So, to the OP. You can listen to this other guy and continue down the path you're headed. Just understand you are running the risk of burning up the clutch packs in your expensive transmission.
I think you're mistaken .. search it and read it carefully and you find that the dealers just change it because of issues they can't identify ..

Most of these issues are due to the owners modifying the cars and not knowing what to reprogram .. but I'll say that there are a few unknown cases where it WAS the tranny's fault .. but definitely not as many as you imply ..

Your experience in VW DCTs do you well in that particular model .. but the TC-SST is built to handle slightly more power than the VW/Audi .. similiar in technology but different in ability .. .. on the SST .. most of the times .. its usually the 're-programmer / tuner ' fault

Ray - there is 1 more table which is a REAL 'limiter' table .. where if you boost beyond your BTEL table .. it will reduce 'torque' on the car ..

Leave table #4 alone .. you can change the torque limit tables without changing any thing else ..

Have you found out the codes thrown yet ?
Old Jul 5, 2009, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by gunzo
I think you're mistaken .. search it and read it carefully and you find that the dealers just change it because of issues they can't identify ..

Most of these issues are due to the owners modifying the cars and not knowing what to reprogram .. but I'll say that there are a few unknown cases where it WAS the tranny's fault .. but definitely not as many as you imply ..

Your experience in VW DCTs do you well in that particular model .. but the TC-SST is built to handle slightly more power than the VW/Audi .. similiar in technology but different in ability .. .. on the SST .. most of the times .. its usually the 're-programmer / tuner ' fault

Ray - there is 1 more table which is a REAL 'limiter' table .. where if you boost beyond your BTEL table .. it will reduce 'torque' on the car ..

Leave table #4 alone .. you can change the torque limit tables without changing any thing else ..

Have you found out the codes thrown yet ?

Not yet. Every time i call the dealer they say the mechanic is at lunch, we will get to it this evening, we'll let you know tomorrow, or we'll have the tech call you right back, or some other BS line I am trying to find out. I just want my damn car back.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Not yet. Every time i call the dealer they say the mechanic is at lunch, we will get to it this evening, we'll let you know tomorrow, or we'll have the tech call you right back, or some other BS line I am trying to find out. I just want my damn car back.
Where you the guy that bought the PB EVO X MR BR350 from Mentor, Mitsu...

I think there was one RR and PB left...
Old Jul 6, 2009, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Clipse3GT
Where you the guy that bought the PB EVO X MR BR350 from Mentor, Mitsu...

I think there was one RR and PB left...
Yes sir.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 01:58 PM

Ok just picked up the car and it's exactly the same as when i dropped it off

The codes are as follows:
P1870 and P0725

They have no idea what it is. My car is hardly drivable

Anyone have any ideas?
Old Jul 6, 2009, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Ok just picked up the car and it's exactly the same as when i dropped it off

The codes are as follows:
P1870 and P0725

They have no idea what it is. My car is hardly drivable

Anyone have any ideas?
Does Mentor Mitsu care you have mods, did they void your warranty?
Old Jul 6, 2009, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Clipse3GT
Does Mentor Mitsu care you have mods, did they void your warranty?
I bought it from them brand new modded (BR350). They are cool

Quick Reply: Torque limiter #1-#4 in ECUflash for EVO X MR