Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Service Required Help/SAWC not working

Old Dec 15, 2009, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Service Required Help/SAWC not working

This SERVICE REQUIRED warning pops up and when car is started and my SAWC doesnt work (cant select tarmac, gravel, snow)

Please give me feedback, I'd like to know what might be wrong before I bring it in for service.

****DISREGARD TPMS SENSOR WARNING JUST PUT IN NEW TIRES AND DIDNT RECALIBRATE SENSOR.....SERVICE REQUIRED WAS ALREADY UP BEFORE TPMS WARNING TURNED ON**************

Old Dec 15, 2009, 06:06 PM
Evolving Member

I got the exact same problem with my car. I emailed the service manager at my dealership and this is what he said.

"With this cold weather, the AWC hydralic pump cannot flow the fluid properly to the rear diiff and t-case. The re-flash was to stop the pump from working and burning out. You will recieve this message telling you the S-AWC is not active and defaults to the tarmac setting. This is normal for the cold weather. If the light does continue to stay on when it warms up, please contact me to further diagnos the light."

It was about -30C when it first turned on and it still hasn't turned off yet even after warming up to about -10C. I'm bringing it to the dealer tomorrow and will post my update.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 02:36 PM
Evolving Member

Just took mine into Platinum for the same problem... I left it for a couple days, hoping it would clear up when the weather got better (as I was told to by the dealership)... Apparently, the AWC pump is shot... but, they're replacing it under warranty, so no biggie (other than the annoyance of having to look at that light all the time!)
Old Dec 16, 2009, 02:46 PM

I had the same problem last winter and it is changing the pump
Old Dec 16, 2009, 10:05 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah I got my car back from Platinum and they said it was the AWC pump as well. I saw about 5 EVOs in the service area when I took mine in, guess it's been happening a lot the past week in Calgary when we got that crazy snow fall and those cold temperatures. I can see another recall coming soon.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 11:06 AM
Evolving Member

Apparently, there is a SST flash available, that is supposed to stop this from happening... they've done the flash to mine now, so, hopefully when the pump is replaced, it'll be all good... Platinum didn't give me any grief over it... I'm happy with the service so far...
Old Oct 28, 2010, 07:07 AM

Just had this come up today, taking my car in tomorrow for a reflash. Wondering if my pump is shot as well.

Other than the OP (who doesn't appear to be having a pump issue), looks like the rest of us are from Canada...
Old Oct 28, 2010, 10:57 AM
RiG
Evolving Member

So you cant select "SNOW" when there is snow on the ground because its too cold.... That seems retarded. Once it warms up, does it work? Maybe the car just needs to idle for a bit so you can select SNOW on the SAWC?
Old Oct 28, 2010, 05:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RiG
So you cant select "SNOW" when there is snow on the ground because its too cold.... That seems retarded. Once it warms up, does it work? Maybe the car just needs to idle for a bit so you can select SNOW on the SAWC?
Yup that's right lol, and yeah you are right it is pretty retarded. I figure they would have thought of this when they made the car. But when I got my pump replaced last year the service manager said it is a "re-enforced" pump so it should be able to handle the winters up here now. I'll guess I'll have to see how it goes this year. And leaving it idling a bit longer to warm up didn't work either, the light will always come on shortly after you start your car.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 09:56 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice, zombie thread just in time for Haloween!

------------------

Originally Posted by RiG
That is because in snow mode they rear stays locked longer, so the pump is actually working harder. I guess they should have just made the car handle worse
Old Nov 4, 2010, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Do not believe any Mitsu rep that tells you this is normal no matter what the temp is. This problem has popped up on a number of Evo's, even in the deep south. If your AWC is running all the time, it is NOT working correctly, and will need to have parts replaced. If you let it keep running long enough, you will have to replace more than just the pump motor.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Mine just did this today. The light would come on in the morning and go away later. Today it came on and stayed on. Looks like a new pump for me.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

I got this warning today.....my tires is just new, and it's cold 70's in texas moring. I have to drive back home. I re-start the car and no more warning.