Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Cobb AP stage2+ AEM overboosting

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2010, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cobb AP stage2+ AEM overboosting

hi,

so today i had my perrin TBE + AEM intake installed and i noticed that in both the regular 93 octane map and the LWG map i am seeing overboost. on the drive back home, i saw spikes of about 27psi with the LWG map and i am wondering if this is normal since the map is only supposed to spiked to about 25 and then taper down.

advice? i do have a .csv log file from the ride but i really don't know how to read it
Old Dec 16, 2010, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

a couple of pieces of information that i forgot to add:

1) i did remove the boost pill just like Cobb asked.
2) it was very cold outside when i did the drive
Old Dec 16, 2010, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

I don't know much on the tuning subject, but I thought I remember seeing that the maps were made for the stock intake/filter in mind. If you have a different intake, it would probably not perform the way you'd want.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 07:53 PM

are you running the aem map? also I talked to Cobb about the boost pill while running stage 2. Not everyone needs to remove it to meet boost targets. I would put it back in and see if boost goes back to normal. When talking to the Cobb rep I do remember him saying a very cold day could affect boost as well.

Last edited by turbo125; Dec 16, 2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Moostafa29
I don't know much on the tuning subject, but I thought I remember seeing that the maps were made for the stock intake/filter in mind. If you have a different intake, it would probably not perform the way you'd want.
this is the stage 2 map for turbo back exhaust with AEM instake

Originally Posted by turbo125
are you running the aem map? also I talked to Cobb about the boost pill while running stage 2. Not everyone needs to remove it to meet boost targets. I would put it back in and see if boost goes back to normal. When talking to the Cobb rep I do remember him saying a very cold day could affect boost as well.
i am running the AEM map. and i do think that i should try and reinstall the pill and see what i get. the only question is how do i install it back. i had a shop remove it so i am not sure what direction it should go back in or if that even makes a difference.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
If this is the first time you got on the car after a significant weather change, ie temperature drop, its not that unusual for the car to over boost the first or first couple of times. It will make a correction. If it continues to over boost (more than 26psi) then you may want to put your pills back in, at least for the winter, and flash to a stage one map.

Likewise, if the car sits for a while after learning wgdc for load targets in the cold, then comes out when it is warm, it will likely underboost the first few times.

Originally Posted by blonde
how do i install it back. i had a shop remove it so i am not sure what direction it should go back in or if that even makes a difference.
Print the instructions off of the Cobb website (I think they call them map notes). It will have a picture of the bcs, and where the pill goes.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 05:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You really should only remove the pill if you are not hitting the proper boost targets. Since you are overboosting, I would put it back in. The shop that removed it should be able to reinstall it. If not we have links on our map download page that show how the pill is installed and where it should go. You can see those here: http://www.accessecu.com/accessport/...Pill_Instr.pdf

Please let us know if you have any other questions!

Travis
COBB Tuning
Old Dec 25, 2010, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

the problem is that when it is nice outside, i was hitting the exact boost target. doesn't that mean that if i put it back in, i will not hit the boost level when it is warm outside?
Old Dec 28, 2010, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blonde

the problem is that when it is nice outside, i was hitting the exact boost target. doesn't that mean that if i put it back in, i will not hit the boost level when it is warm outside?
What other engine/exhaust mods do you have? Are you running a test pipe or aftermarket DP?

I ask because I'm running the stock DP, AMS 300 count HFC, and Perrin CBE...and I'm not over-boosting with my Cobb Stage 2 AEM v1.07 93 octane map with the boost pill removed.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 03:42 PM
Evolving Member

I regularly spike at 27.8 dropping to 25 then tapering to 17 at redline, no harm done with over 30kmi of abuse!

2010 MR
Oem intake
MXPII TB
RRE resonated test pipe
DW 1000cc injectors
Blaqops single fuel pump
HBSpeed pill
CA91/E85(when available)
Old Dec 28, 2010, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DarwinX
What other engine/exhaust mods do you have? Are you running a test pipe or aftermarket DP?

I ask because I'm running the stock DP, AMS 300 count HFC, and Perrin CBE...and I'm not over-boosting with my Cobb Stage 2 AEM v1.07 93 octane map with the boost pill removed.

the only difference i can see is that i am also running the Perrin downpipe.