Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

GSC S2 & FIC 1680 Idle Help

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2011, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GSC S2 & FIC 1680 Idle Help

Hi all, just got my built motor up and running. I want to get idle working before we even drive it lol. Anyways, major mods are GSC S2 Cams, Primo 3.5" intake, FIC 1680 injectors, omni 4-bar map sensor, FP Black, all supporting mods, etc

I did a lot of messing with the tune. Injectors scaled, latencies, MAF scaling for the primo, I think I did a good job applying Tephra's 4-bar mods, and I lowered the minimum IPW to 0.032. I scaled the MAF up * 1.39, injector scalings and latencies I got from scheides I believe, I tried turning the idle up in the idle tables but it doesn't listen. It bounces between 500-800 and then dies. When I first start the car, the wideband is pegged out lean, and I have to give it revs to keep it from immediately dying. Then, it slowly fixes itself and it's okay for awhile, but then it will die. I also tried adding 2 degress of timing in the idle areas. The map is gunzo's 93 OCT base map with changes I mentioned above. Any ideas? I'm going to post the ROM/Map if maybe someone wants to take a look to make sure I did everything right (particularly the Omni 4 Bar Map scaling shenanigans.) As always, any help is appreciated!
Attached Files
File Type: hex
gunzo-base-map-modded.hex (1.00 MB, 0 views)
Old Jun 23, 2011, 04:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
need more MAF scaling I bet. 1.39 seems too little for the Primo. Primo needs a bit more scaling in the lower Hz range then the upper from what I have found.

What injector scaling # are you using.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 04:42 PM
Evolving Member

Hi, thanks for the reply. My injector scaling is @ 1329. I will try a bit more maf scaling....perhaps * 1.06 more
Old Jun 23, 2011, 04:47 PM
EvoM Guru

What are your fuel trims telling you?
Old Jun 23, 2011, 04:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
What are your fuel trims telling you?
fuel trims are actually pretty good, for the most part they are within a percent or two, for idle LTFT and STFT's too.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 05:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
can you swap back to the standard intake and standard MAF settings then tell us what the trims are.

also your minIPW should be "reset" to 1.152 or higher... a log of your idle should tell us what IPW your actually getting down to..
Old Jun 23, 2011, 05:46 PM
Evolving Member

Hi Tephra, thanks for the reply. I no longer have the stock MAF. I have however tried what razorlab suggested and increased maf scaling in the low voltage range and that seemed to help a ton (I removed MAF sensor plug and it idled pretty good), then increased low voltage maf scaling. Now the big issue I'm having is about 10-15 secs after initial startup, it's pegged out lean and wants to die. I have to push the accelerator pedal to keep it from dying, then it figures things out and it idles smoothly. So I'm trying to figure that out now, looking at cranking enrichment tables?
Old Jun 23, 2011, 06:15 PM
EvoM Guru

nah cranking enrichment wont help 15secs after

you can try increasing your throttle tables a % or two...
Old Jun 23, 2011, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

Well the idle problem is a bit better now, sometimes it starts right up and idles fine, other times it needs some help via the accel pedal, and then after 15-20 seconds it idles fine. The problem we are now having is the car does not even want to rev....it's like the throttle is very unresponsive. When you mash the throttle, it gets to about 3k and starts sputtering, and the wideband is pegged out lean. So we decreased injector scaling to 975 (from 1329) and it seemed to help a bit, but the hesitation is still there. One thing we noticed is that the IPW is not increasing that much, even at 95% TPS. it goes to like...maybe 2, 2.3 or so. So the car is having issues revving. Can someone maybe double-check my map and make sure I did everything right? Especially the part where I had to accommodate for the omni 4 bar? I don't even know what the fuel compensation vs. MAT tables are but I think I followed the directions properly.....Now I'm just trying to get this thing to startup normally, without long cranks, idle clean right away, and then rev freely, without falling on it's face.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 08:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by bandit09
Well the idle problem is a bit better now, sometimes it starts right up and idles fine, other times it needs some help via the accel pedal, and then after 15-20 seconds it idles fine. The problem we are now having is the car does not even want to rev....it's like the throttle is very unresponsive. When you mash the throttle, it gets to about 3k and starts sputtering, and the wideband is pegged out lean. So we decreased injector scaling to 975 (from 1329) and it seemed to help a bit, but the hesitation is still there. One thing we noticed is that the IPW is not increasing that much, even at 95% TPS. it goes to like...maybe 2, 2.3 or so. So the car is having issues revving. Can someone maybe double-check my map and make sure I did everything right? Especially the part where I had to accommodate for the omni 4 bar? I don't even know what the fuel compensation vs. MAT tables are but I think I followed the directions properly.....Now I'm just trying to get this thing to startup normally, without long cranks, idle clean right away, and then rev freely, without falling on it's face.

More MAF scaling. Remember what I said above, the primo needs more MAF scaling at the lower end then the high end.

I didn't check your 4bar conversion, so that *could* be a culprit as well so make 100% sure that is correct too.

Last edited by razorlab; Jun 23, 2011 at 08:25 PM.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

I did follow the instructions for the 4-bar but I don't know exactly what I was doing, someone who has more experience in that area would be able to tell better than me if it has been done properly. I did increase maf scaling a lot in the lower voltage range and that seemed to help things...Like I said sometimes it starts right up and idles perfectly, other times it needs accel pedal help for like 15-20 seconds, then it idles fine. It takes a lot of cranking too, and I even tried modifying the cranking enrichment tables. So I added an additional 20% to the maf scaling in the middle-range and that didn't really seem to help much. As a test, I unplugged the MAF sensor and tried to rev, and it didn't want to rev.....it's like after 40% throttle, the car just falls on it's face (still in neutral), it's like the throttle response is terrible, and the injectors are going super lean, it's like they're not even listening. I'm wondering if it's the PnP adapters, I heard people having issues with them....

Basically my goal right now is to get the car to idle smoothly without cranking forever, and then I want the car to be able to free-rev without stuttering/hesitating/falling on it's face.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 12:54 AM
EvoM Guru

OIC

ok have you applied the 600/1680 formula to the cranking enrichment?

that will help.

if you like you can email me your ROM and I will dbl check your work on the omni4bar
Old Jun 24, 2011, 01:55 AM
Evolving Member

Hi Tephra, thanks again for the reply. I will email my current ROM to your-username-[at]-gmail[dot]com

I will be happy to give you a donation too since you're trying to help me out. And, for the cranking enrichment, I didn't do 1680, I did it to the value that was in my fuel injector scaling, in this case it was 1329.

Also the ROM is on the first post, but I will email it to you too.

Last edited by bandit09; Jun 24, 2011 at 01:59 AM.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 12:30 PM
Evolving Member

update: No matter what I do, the car does not feel right when I give it gas. I got the idle trims pretty damn good, but when I push the accel....50% or more or so, it goes super lean and breaks up and struggles to climb RPM's. it's not smooth and easy revving like it should be. I even tried scaling that range of the MAF 50% MORE, to see if it would add fuel and it didn't. I then set the injector scaling to 975, and it does the same thing....doesn't wanna free-rev very easy, it goes lean, and breaks up. It's like the TPS and injector's aren't even on the same page, and I have tried everything. I don't know what to do.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 03:48 PM
Evolving Member

update: I still don't know if I did the OMNI 4-bar mods 100% correctly, but I'm beginning to think the problem is mechanical. I set the injector scaling really low for those injectors (975) and up-scaled the **** out of the MAF tables and it still is going really lean. The problem seems intermittent, it's like it'll be fixed and then the problem will randomly come back. We drove it around the block and under light load it's pegged out lean and when I try to give it more gas it's pegged out lean. So I'm thinking maybe it's the fuel pump. I have the Blaqops double pumper kit, but I bought it used so perhaps the walbro is bad. One clue to this is that the fuel pressure INSTANTLY drops to 0 once the car turns off. I remember before, fuel pressure would remain throughout the system even a few hours after I turned the car off. So I guess the next step would to be drop in a known working walbro and see if that fixes anything. In the meantime I'm going to HOPE I did the Omni stuff right ;-)

Quick Reply: GSC S2 & FIC 1680 Idle Help