Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

MAP and MAF Scaling / Tuning

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2013, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MAP and MAF Scaling / Tuning

So this has been an on going issue for me and I need a little assistance.

I bought a 08 GSR with full bolt ons yada yada and tuned on a Cobb AP. The car ran great on the tune that was on the AP, but I'm not a fan of them and prefer to use flash tuning via laptops. So I ditched the AP and started tuning with the tephra mod v1. Since day one I have not been able to get my AFR's to keep steady. They have a bad habit of bouncing around from low 13's to mid 17's with a occasional holding around the 14.7 for a little bit. Also really bad bucking while going slow at low RPMs. Happens most when I'm driving through speed bumps in neighborhoods etc. The AFRs are pretty good at cruise and bounce between 14.3-15.4, which isn't terrible but not the best. And lastly I'm getting lean tip-in from low rpms and trying to give it a little throttle. So here's some more details to hopefully help me solve my problem

Current mods (that may affect this):
FIC 900cc High-Z Injectors
AMS Intake
Map Rev ported intake manifold
FP Red with AMS ex mani
Rear o2 cut to use for my Wideband logging

What I have done myself to try to fix this..
- First I tried to dial in my injectors as close as I could to what others were using and logging fuel trims. Just to give me a base starting point.
- Then I scaled my MAP tables. I maxed out my MAF tables so that only MAP was being used and did some logging and used Ripnet's Tuner Helper. I did 3 logs with this. Idle seemed smoother but got bad tip in.
- So I started scaling my MAF. I expected after doing this 3 times this would have cured everything but it doesn't seem to really affect anything. Everything feels about the same as when I was just running MAP. Still crazy bouncing AFRs and lean tip in. I've done about 4 logs of both and used the tuner helper to make new tables. I've gotten to where the differences aren't much, but I noticed the MAF tables are still increasing slowly.

So my questions are:
- From what I've read I'm suppose to do logs of just driving around. This means just driving around town? Is it okay that I do a lot of sitting at red lights. but also get quite a bit of straight-a-way time? Am I suppose to keep it out of boost?
Basically I've just been driving around pretty grandma like, keeping the car under 4k rpms and keeping it out of boost the best I can.
- When I do my logging, am I suppose to log MAPcalcs and MAFcalcs at the same time or do I have to do one or the other?
- Going along with the last question can I use the same log for the Tuner Helper to get new MAP AND MAF data or do I have to do them seperately?

I've done some basic tuning before and I know how to dial in injectors, fuel maps, timing maps, etc but for some reason I can't get the car to run the way it should. Any advice to get my car up and operating to its full potential would be great.

Thanks in advance

P.S. - Here is the last log I took. It shows my crazy AFRs, fuel trims, MAP and MAFcalcs, MAF volts, etc. The last bout minute of the log is me pulling into my neighborhood going over speed bumps and getting the real bad bucking like I was talking about. Idk if you can see it in the log.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/zdkt9d
And here is the MAP and MAF changes I got from this log
http://www.sendspace.com/file/220ach

Last edited by Anubis18; Sep 19, 2013 at 10:27 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stay out of boost for the logs as it can skew your trims. I warmed the car up, reflashed my map to zero the adjustments.

Keep an eye on your MAF voltage to be sure you're getting values in the proper range... Want to say its 2.9- 4.2 volts. On my car I was able to hit the higher voltage around 4k rpms.

You need a 15-20 minute log, the longer the better. Be sure to vary the RPM to get plenty of useable values.