Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Fluid Changes (And Break-in Fluids)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2013, 07:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fluid Changes (And Break-in Fluids)

Hey guys, had a quick question, which yet again, I have to turn to you guys for some help. Numerous calls to dealerships, parts stores, and even reading my Owner's Manual and Maintenance Manual has come up short for me.

I bought my '14 MR last month, it's been 30 days last Friday. I got to wondering about the fluids, as when I got my Solstice GXP, it had a break-in oil in the motor that needed changed after 500 miles. Because it was a high-performance car, I got to wondering if the Evo had any sort of break-in fluids in any part of the car that needed changed after a short break-in time, and I know there's a crapload of fluids in it. So I'm trying to get some solid answers.

I called the dealership I bought the car at, and they were worthless. Or at least the woman I talked to on the phone was. And they were my best bet. They send out the mechanics that work there to classes every year to learn each new year of the Evo and get certified in every Evo. The only thing the woman said was there wasn't any break-in oil, but the S-AWD fluid needed to be changed at or before the 7,500 mile mark. And I asked "with what?" And after 30 minutes on the phone trying to get through her thick skull, the only thing I got out of her was 80 Weight. But 80 weight what?

Through doing some YouTube searches, I found an old, old video that was meant as a video for mechanics to watch in a classroom type environment about the Evo X. But this video was made for the first year Mitsubishi switched over from the IX to the X to talk about the differences, and I don't know how relevant it is for the 2014 models, because even the guy on the video said Mitsubishi will be upgrading and tinkering with the SST as the years go by to try and perfect it. The only thing I got out of that video was the MR's SST tranny needed DiaQueen SSTF-1 fluid. Is this still the type of fluid that the newer model X's use? And if so, is there any way I can buy the stuff without having to buy it from the dealer? The only reason I ask is the dealer I bought my car from is almost 5 hours away one way. That's almost a 10 hour round trip, plus you have to take the turnpike and I have to deal with a crapload of tolls, and our Turnpike is a goat-path through the mountains with nothing but 18 wheelers just waiting to chip my paint all to hell. I've always done my own maintenance on every car I've ever owned, same goes for my dad, and I just kept the receipts and whatnot to show that I've performed the maintenance. I do this because #1 I don't trust dealerships, I've seen them do some really stupid things, bang up your car, scratch it, or like what happened to my aunt and forget to put oil back in a car and my aunt drove off the lot and 5 minutes later hard-locked the motor, among numerous other things. One guy around here is a millionaire because he sued the dealership after he took his vehicle there for maintenance, then something happened to the car while he was driving home and he was almost killed in a wreck. Now he owns their asses. So I steer clear of dealership garage's when I can.

So I do all my own maintenance unless it's something big like a transmission needing replaced, things of that nature. Fluid changes, break jobs, tire rotations, all that I do myself. And I refuse to take my Evo to our new more local dealership. When I was there buying a few accessories for my MR I was talking to the head of the parts department, I asked him why our older dealer stopped selling Mitsubishis. After a long talk, at the end he said the deal was in the contract was when the old Mitsubishi dealer stopped selling Mitsubishis and stuck with Mazdas and Nissans, the deal was the new Mitsubishi dealer got the cars, and everything else, but the old dealer kept all their mechanics. So I don't even know if the new dealer has any mechanics that are even trained to work on Evos. So I won't be taking my Evo there for quite some time.

So basically, are there any fluids in the car that are break-in fluids that need changed quicker than what they normally would? I'm not sure how accurate that woman was about telling me the AWD fluid needed changed before I hit 7,500 miles, or if she was just spouting out random crap.

I've also read on forums while doing searches that aside from the oil, about the only way to know how much fluid to put back in is to measure how much you take out, then put that much back into the car. That sounds kind of crappy to me, and a horrible way of changing fluids.

As for engine oil, I use Mobile 1 Extended Performance Synthetic, which is that 15,000 mile oil. I use it in everything, because it's a strong oil and will put up with a lot more heat and abuse, but I still change it at about the 5,000 mile mark; it's not like I put it in there then only change my oil every 15k miles. But when it comes to the fluid for the tranny, and the fluid for the AWD system, I have absolutely NO idea what kind of fluids need to go into the car, and if I'm able to buy them at places like Advanced Auto, Autozone, Nappa, etc., or if I'll have to go to our local dealership, by the fluid myself, and change it myself.

So can anyone let me know the type of fluids that the car requires for the SST and the AWD? I'd really appreciate it.

Last edited by Stonewall; Oct 8, 2013 at 07:20 AM.