Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Best Evo X tuner on the east coast?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2014, 05:22 PM
C5z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Evo X tuner on the east coast?

Hey all. I have a 2014 GSR. I have had the car previously tuned along with a cold air intake+cat delete+boost controller. I ran 12.6 in the 1/4 and was skeptical of the tune. I looked into it, tune turned out to be completely trash, way too lean, I took it to a shop that specializes in evo 8/9s and figured they were good enough to tune it. Long story short I lost the motor because of the tune. It is my understanding that the 4b11 is a different animal than the 4g63 and that the tuners who specialize in the 4g63 may not be as familiar with the 4b11 and I should go to a tuner that knows their 4b11s. I am located in maryland, and plan on doing full bolt ons+possibly a stock frame sized turbo on 93. I would even make the trip to chicago to get a good tune at AMS. but before I make any solid plans on where to go, is there a tuner on the east coast that specializes in evo Xs? I will drive as far as it takes to get a good,safe, reliable tune for my car, as I do daily it.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 05:40 PM

No way to say who the "best tuner" is, but I am in MD also and I get all my tuning done at Moore Automotive in Fairfax, VA. It's right outside DC. Their Tuner is Chris and he is pretty legit. Just do some searching around the forums for the shop and you'll read some good things.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

CBRD in PA, IVEY Tune in NJ, EFI Logics does mostly Subarus but GTRs and EVOs as well
Old Sep 4, 2014, 06:11 PM

Moore has made and tuned some real monsters including mine and they are all still running strong
Old Sep 12, 2014, 09:26 AM

+1 for Chris and Moore. Chris has a 900+ whp X of his own and tuned my car. he is definitely good with the X.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 10:14 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if we can help let us know-

we have a full product line (motors, turbos, turbo kits, radiators, intercoolers, etc) for the X- (6 of them here right now) and so forth-

cb
Old Oct 10, 2014, 12:03 PM

Kaizen Tuning in Boxborough,MA. I'm from eastern PA. I'd make the 6 hour drive anyday to go up there. Best tuner I have ever dealt with hands down. Owner is a stand up guy and runs a super happy and motivated shop. BTW, just for reference (I'm 45 a minute drive from IVEY in NJ, I'd rather deal with Kaizen all day.)
Old Oct 10, 2014, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Shameless plug for CBRD. The man's tuning is pretty legendary in our community. Can't compare his shop to anyone else in the business either, it's really top notch.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 09:05 AM
Evolving Member

I mean I'm gonna go ahead and say bring it to STM. With a full weight bolt on car I ran a 12.24 and this year I went 10.96. My car runs amazing
Old Oct 20, 2014, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FresHsincE85
Kaizen Tuning in Boxborough,MA. I'm from eastern PA. I'd make the 6 hour drive anyday to go up there. Best tuner I have ever dealt with hands down. Owner is a stand up guy and runs a super happy and motivated shop. BTW, just for reference (I'm 45 a minute drive from IVEY in NJ, I'd rather deal with Kaizen all day.)
^^This. I have been there three times myself (cuz I keep upgrading) and also know a few other local X guys who have gone. Nothing but perfect reviews. Scott, the owner, and Rob, the tuner, are straight shooters. They are easy to get along with, easy to deal with, will answer any and every question (even if you have 100 of em). You can eat off the floor of the shop and they have tuned the time attack and road course track record holders. I am not saying anything against the other shops listed here, but Kaizen is worth the 3-1/2 hour drive any day. Can't hurt to just give them a call.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am Maryland as well, preparing to get a protune after winter. Could you Private Message me which shop you went to before that gave you a bad tune? I don't want to bash anyone in public but I do want to avoid the same issues you've had in case im thinking of the same shop.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Lytec
I am Maryland as well, preparing to get a protune after winter. Could you Private Message me which shop you went to before that gave you a bad tune? I don't want to bash anyone in public but I do want to avoid the same issues you've had in case im thinking of the same shop.
If you're in Baltimore, go to one of the nearby reputable shops...depending how far you want to drive I would stick with CBRD, Moore, or possibly CP-E.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:03 AM

Moore. Hands down. Did a awesome job on my car.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 12:16 PM

I've heard awesome things from people tuned at Kaizen - I was tuned by Brendan over at BrenTuning (central MA) and have been extremely happy with the tune. Very knowledgeable with the platform and loads a car up safely on a dyno. That's not something every shop will do, a lot of them will just drop in a map from another car with similar mods and see how it goes (NOT SMART).

Do some research, and absolutely do not go the cheap route with your tune.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd got to Moore or CBRD depending on which is closer. Moore is only 20 mins away, so, no-brainer for me.

Quick Reply: Best Evo X tuner on the east coast?