Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Chicago/Ohio Tuning Shop Decision

Old Jan 9, 2015, 12:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chicago/Ohio Tuning Shop Decision

If you wanted your Evo X MR tuned, and lived equal distance between Boosted Performance (Chicago), AMS(Chicago), and Bucshur Racing (Northern Ohio), who would be the best tuning choice?
Old Jan 9, 2015, 01:13 PM

fanboys for all shops. call and see which one you talk to fits your needs best
Old Jan 9, 2015, 04:26 PM
.M.
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
I've heard good things about all 3. Like posted above, I'd talk to each of them and decide from there.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 12:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts
Boostin Performance hands down. Devin and crew are awesome to deal with and they do a really good job making sure you get what you want out of the car.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 03:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 MR had an AMS tune ... it was absolute garbage ! Had the car tuned by a local tuner (Chris screen name Clipse3GT from EvoXforum) he is in Cleveland OH, open source and it came out DYNO TESTED 40whp more and better tables! AMS gives Zero F's about low level clients these days

Last edited by E46HamannM3; Mar 1, 2015 at 03:36 AM.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 09:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by E46HamannM3
2008 MR had an AMS tune ... it was absolute garbage ! Had the car tuned by a local tuner (Chris screen name Clipse3GT from EvoXforum) he is in Cleveland OH, open source and it came out DYNO TESTED 40whp more and better tables! AMS gives Zero F's about low level clients these days
False. MR's are trickier to tune and I know for a fact that AMS typically tries to stay away from them.

Had my 2011 GSR tuned by both Chris (Clipse3GT) and AMS.

I recently had my Evo tuned at AMS. GREAT GUYS! They will take care of you. They know what they're doing and the know the platform. As far as price goes, they are a little more expensive than your average shop. However, you get what you pay for. I have no complaints when it comes to my tune. I just wish they would tune via Open Source.

Chris (Clipse3GT) - KNOWS HIS ****! If you are looking for a local guy, he is your go-to person. I had my car tuned on bolt-ons and the car NEVER skipped a beat. The guy knows what he is doing. He will take his time and explain all the changes that he is doing and why.

My vote is either Chris or AMS. Can't go wrong with either.

Last edited by MadBoostedEvo; Mar 1, 2015 at 10:00 AM.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 11:58 AM

I vote boostin or strictly modified both are amazing shops and have had experience with both! you cant go Wrong with either of those or buschur but ive never had personal experience with them but have heard good things!
Old Mar 1, 2015, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by MadBoostedEvo
False. MR's are trickier to tune and I know for a fact that AMS typically tries to stay away from them.

This statement is exactly why I wouldn't take a car to them, just because something is difficult, it doesn't mean you should treat the customer different. I can only speak from experience with the tune I received.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

I have worked with both Boostin (X) and AMS (VIII). Both are great shops. As mentioned, AMS has shifted over to the premium car market (GTR, R8, etc.) and is not investing as much into the Evo platform. In fact, AMS at times refers Evo customers to Boostin if they are at capacity with their new platforms.

Boostin has been superb to deal with the last year or so I've been taking my X there. As an example, I was having work done around the same time the CMC recall was in affect. I was traveling out of town and they took the car to the dealership to have the recall work done as well. It is the little things they do - on top of transforming your car - that set them apart. If AMS supports them, I'd support them as well.

Just a warning - their mustang dyno is a heartbreaker, but suspect you understand it is just a tool. My MHI turbo'ed X made 385 whp @ 26psi on 93 on their dyno and out accelerates dyno jet cars well over 400 whp.