Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Evo X flex fuel tuning on Accessport

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2016, 04:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm, such a positive post, has to make you wonder...I received mine about 2 weeks ago and haven't even received my 'OTS map' yet. Also,10 minutes,really?
I must say the service response time at DT is second-to-none. Very nice to deal with. Let's hope she works like she's supposed to...
Old Mar 27, 2016, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 169 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by Hunndy
Hmmm, such a positive post, has to make you wonder...I received mine about 2 weeks ago and haven't even received my 'OTS map' yet. Also,10 minutes,really?
I must say the service response time at DT is second-to-none. Very nice to deal with. Let's hope she works like she's supposed to...

Can someone please tell me how this thing interfaces to the ecu !?
I understand there is an ethanol content sensor; seems to be all everyone talks about yet that is just a given (you have to know that). It's everything else I don't understand and want clarity on.

~Jaraxle
Old Mar 28, 2016, 10:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jaraxle
Ok so how does the ethanol content sensor get the % of ethanol to the ECU/tune?
Does the tune have to be an OTS Cobb tune (aka: pretty much stock car) ?
Does it interpolate injector scaling, boost, timing, etc throughout the range for ethanol %?

~Jaraxle
It just connects into the engine harness.

In my case, my car was pretty much a stage 2, so I opted for the free OTS stage 2 tune that is included with the kit. Delicious just remaps it for the larger injectors required and flex fuel.

From what I've been told and understand, the tune is completely dynamic controlling fueling, boost, timing etc.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 10:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Hunndy

It's awesome, I don't know how else I could put it! The power running on corn juice is intoxicating, . I hope you find out soon.

I just went to their shop, took 10 minutes. I probably couldn't of done it in 10 minutes as it would have been my first time, but who knows.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 07:32 PM

I cant wait to get my V3 and get dual maps.
Old May 2, 2016, 01:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BakaUnchi
if you want a hack piggyback that tricks the ECU into fueling changes then use that POS

if you want it to REALLY work wait for V3 Tephra
Dude, I love my flex fuel kit from Delicious now that i've had some time using it. It works seamlessly and definitely is not a hack piggyback, it's just a signal convertor like any other kit. I've been super happy with it and haven't had any problems with it.

Have you used or seen one before yourself?

Take a look at it: http://www.delicioustuning.com/flexfuelevox

It plugs all in the engine bay takes less than 30 minutes to install and you can still have an Accessport to monitor and log which I like as an added feature.
Old May 4, 2016, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Still no one has explained how exactly this works. I keep hearing "oh it is so wonderful and seamless"... But no where has someone explained if it hijacks the MAF/MAP or injector signals or what.

I am of the belief that this is NOT a true TUNED in the ECU solution. But rather a piggy-back jobber. Until someone explains otherwise, it seems inferior to the Tephra solution which does ECU level interpolation of the timing, injector scaling, and fuel maps based on ethanol IN THE ECU.

~Jaraxle
Old May 5, 2016, 12:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Still no one has explained how exactly this works. I keep hearing "oh it is so wonderful and seamless"... But no where has someone explained if it hijacks the MAF/MAP or injector signals or what.

I am of the belief that this is NOT a true TUNED in the ECU solution. But rather a piggy-back jobber. Until someone explains otherwise, it seems inferior to the Tephra solution which does ECU level interpolation of the timing, injector scaling, and fuel maps based on ethanol IN THE ECU.

~Jaraxle
It says its compatible with Ecutek or Cobb access port. I suspect that this kit provides the sensor, content analyser and and blue tooth output for the display, but you still need the code In the Ecutek or Cobb tune to make it work.
Old May 5, 2016, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Zash
It says its compatible with Ecutek or Cobb access port. I suspect that this kit provides the sensor, content analyser and and blue tooth output for the display, but you still need the code In the Ecutek or Cobb tune to make it work.
And you just nailed it on the head. I called Cobb. They are not doing Flex code in the AccessPort & Tunes for the Evo X. So my belief is that this is a piggyback jobber that intercepts and manipulates the MAF/MAP &/or injector signals. Not a true IN THE ECU solution like the Tephra one.

I just cannot get any of these promoters to come out and call it what it is.

~Jaraxle
Old May 6, 2016, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Zash
That's exactly my understanding on how it works in my own car. You can't just take it and put it on any car without the correct tuning software and mapping within it.

And you just nailed it on the head. I called Cobb. They are not doing Flex code in the AccessPort & Tunes for the Evo X. So my belief is that this is a piggyback jobber that intercepts and manipulates the MAF/MAP &/or injector signals. Not a true IN THE ECU solution like the Tephra one.

I just cannot get any of these promoters to come out and call it what it is.

~Jaraxle
You can't get anyone to say it because it's not really a piggyback.

As Delicious explained to me, it's a signal converter that converts the ethanol signal into a signal that the ECU can read via a sensor input. Then that's where the software tuning comes into play to use that new signal.

If i'm not mistaken, this is exactly how Cobb does flex fuel on other vehicles. They signal convert and then use a sensor input that's not necessary for vehicle operation and then use their software to utilize that signal. Is that a piggyback?

From what I recall from back in the day, piggybacks usually plug into a vehicle and completely manipulate the signal to an ECU that is not tuned or can't be tuned, hence why everything needs to be done in the piggyback and it sends signals to manipulate the ECU into thinking everything is good. This just isn't the same thing.
Old May 6, 2016, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by holyfrickster
That's exactly my understanding on how it works in my own car. You can't just take it and put it on any car without the correct tuning software and mapping within it.

You can't get anyone to say it because it's not really a piggyback.

As Delicious explained to me, it's a signal converter that converts the ethanol signal into a signal that the ECU can read via a sensor input. Then that's where the software tuning comes into play to use that new signal.

If i'm not mistaken, this is exactly how Cobb does flex fuel on other vehicles. They signal convert and then use a sensor input that's not necessary for vehicle operation and then use their software to utilize that signal. Is that a piggyback?

From what I recall from back in the day, piggybacks usually plug into a vehicle and completely manipulate the signal to an ECU that is not tuned or can't be tuned, hence why everything needs to be done in the piggyback and it sends signals to manipulate the ECU into thinking everything is good. This just isn't the same thing.
So whatever module they put in your car. What wires go to and from it? Let's start there. If ANYTHING other than the ethanol content sensor 0-5v signal goes to the ECU then it is a piggyback ECU manipulating the signals to the factory ECU. Yes you have to ALSO tune the factory ECU but not in the way the Tephra mod does it (with full timing, fuel and boost interpolation). I am only seeking to understand what this is. The reason no one has said its a piggyback ECU is because most guys don't know how any of this stuff works.

~Jaraxle
Old May 6, 2016, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

The following picture is from a previous post of a delicious install.
Looks like in that post that the MAF signal wire is intercepted. Can someone confirm by following the MAF plug/wire ?

~Jaraxle
Old May 9, 2016, 05:38 PM
Evolving Member

Confirmed, it does plug into the MAF, when I unplug it from the MAF and turn the ignition on, the D box's green light doesn't turn on and so I can reasonably assume that's where the box gets power from.

There is one other small harness that comes off the box other than the one that goes to the flex fuel sensor. The small harness goes to a two pin connector under the engine cover. Not sure where that connector originally went as I did not install it.

I can't see where the wires are coming and going as they are all covered, nor do I feel so inclined to rip apart my kit to find out for curiosities sake.
Old May 9, 2016, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Well then it appears I was on the mark. Which is not horrible or anything, just different (and not as good) from a full in the ECU tune. I personally would not use MAF signal manipulation now, but in the early 2000's it worked flawlessly on my '99 GS-T (for minor fuel tweaks). The other wire you say goes under the engine cover is either manipulating timing or injector pulse width. If you ever feel like popping your engine cover off (it just pops up when you lift on it), it would be nice to know what else it taps into. E85 can require up to a 30% swing in fuel flow requirement. I still have many questions in my mind, but for now at least I understand a bit what this "black box" is.
Thanks!

~Jaraxle
Old May 10, 2016, 05:38 PM
Evolving Member

Well then it appears I was on the mark. Which is not horrible or anything, just different (and not as good) from a full in the ECU tune. I personally would not use MAF signal manipulation now, but in the early 2000's it worked flawlessly on my '99 GS-T (for minor fuel tweaks). The other wire you say goes under the engine cover is either manipulating timing or injector pulse width. If you ever feel like popping your engine cover off (it just pops up when you lift on it), it would be nice to know what else it taps into. E85 can require up to a 30% swing in fuel flow requirement. I still have many questions in my mind, but for now at least I understand a bit what this "black box" is.
Thanks!

~Jaraxle
Well, I called up Delicious to put this to rest and talk to them about possibly doing some custom tuning. They said, they don't manipulate the MAF signal. I guess that raises more questions, but I don't really care I feel like I've already gone above and beyond to understand the system. Bottom line is I chose to go to them as they know far more about this stuff then I do and are the only ones that offer a flex fuel kit for the Cobb AP. The system works and has been driving well for over a month on and off ethanol and mixes in between. I now laugh at other guys at the pump waiting for their car to die to get that last bit of gas out for their E85 map to work properly.

Quick Reply: Evo X flex fuel tuning on Accessport