Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Still trying to figure out E85 vs Flex Fuel

Old Jan 29, 2016, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still trying to figure out E85 vs Flex Fuel

So iv been reading up and im still not 100% clear...i need someone to dumb this down for me.

1. What is needed to run e85

2. What is needed to run Flex?

i have an e85 pump literally next to my place so i dont have any issues finding an e85. So im trying to figure out money wise what is the best route to go.

Im putting on ets open dump, ets test pipe, ets intake in a couple weeks...im just debating this additional mod.

any help appreciated.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 07:55 PM

E85 is flex fuel
Old Jan 30, 2016, 02:34 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
E85 simple build: pump and injectors, probably fuel filter
Flex simple build: same as above plus flex sensor

I'm going for a flex setup because I want to use E100 while on track and gasoline for daily drive. E85 / E100 can cause corrosion problems, specially if you don't drive your car in a regular basis.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 06:35 AM

My main goal is to run e85 95% of the time and on occasion if i cant find an e85 pump i want to have the option to run 93oct...or use 93oct for road trips
Old Jan 31, 2016, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by psfp
E85 simple build: pump and injectors, probably fuel filter
Flex simple build: same as above plus flex sensor

I'm going for a flex setup because I want to use E100 while on track and gasoline for daily drive. E85 / E100 can cause corrosion problems, specially if you don't drive your car in a regular basis.

you cant run e85 with a catalytic converter, and you need at least 1000cc injectors and a E85 fuel pump. and a three port, since the whole reason your buring e85 is more boost you going to need a better why to control that with the tune.
intectors 1100cc $500
test pipe $100
fuel pump $150
three port $140
dual 91/e85 tune $500
*if you do it all at once you only have to pay for one tune.

http://www.tephra.it/v3/

then find a tuner who can do this, kind of tune. so far there is only three in the states I know of, and one of them is an aussie national who may or not stick around and train more people.

it has strangely been backward engineered since the primary reason for this was the GT-R and it been running >truflex< the GT-R has had this for years already.

its only because of a few people whom still working on evo aftermarket this came to be. even so late in the game when so many have already jumped the " evo ship"

production for evo x parts have stopped all over the place, I expect prices to rise by the end of 16 and stock is already running dry on some things. that are not maintenance related.

so just running E85 is not flexfuel. so don't put a type R sticker on a Si, until the work is done.

if you search this site you find out who doing it and see if you can get an appointment.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 01:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by jiGGypiGGy
you cant run e85 with a catalytic converter
This is not a correct statement. You are thinking leaded gas.

E85 is perfectly safe with a catalytic converter. Tried and tested for over a decade.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 05:13 PM

good info
Old Feb 1, 2016, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
To put it even more simple, E85 is Flex Fuel.

Tuning for e85 only means you can only run e85 unless you have a dual map to run pump gas.
Flex Fuel lets the ECU interpolate the type of fuel its running, and modify the rom accordingly. So you could fill with e85, then fill with 93 without switching tunes.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by razorlab
This is not a correct statement. You are thinking leaded gas.

E85 is perfectly safe with a catalytic converter. Tried and tested for over a decade.

If one person on this site (besides you) says they run ethanol on a evo IX or X CAT ill take you word.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
If one person on this site (besides you) says they run ethanol on a evo IX or X CAT ill take you word.
You do realize that OEM flex fuel vehicles have catalytic converters right? And guess what...they work just fine whether its pump gas or E85.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 12:04 PM
EvoM Guru

I've tuned over a hundred Mitsubishis on E85.

It is 100% safe to use with cats. Also, like e_kobz said above, just look at the thousands of FFV's currently out in the wild.

Again, you are thinking leaded gasoline. Or just armchair flexing.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 169 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
... Or just armchair flexing.
Nailed it. Problem is I don't have the patience to even sort the rest of that post out. Lol.

~Jaraxle
Old Feb 23, 2016, 12:12 PM

you cant run e85 with a catalytic converter, and you need at least 1000cc injectors and a E85 fuel pump. and a three port, since the whole reason your buring e85 is more boost you going to need a better why to control that with the tune.
intectors 1100cc $500
test pipe $100
fuel pump $150
three port $140
dual 91/e85 tune $500
*if you do it all at once you only have to pay for one tune.

http://www.tephra.it/v3/

then find a tuner who can do this, kind of tune. so far there is only three in the states I know of, and one of them is an aussie national who may or not stick around and train more people.

it has strangely been backward engineered since the primary reason for this was the GT-R and it been running >truflex< the GT-R has had this for years already.

its only because of a few people whom still working on evo aftermarket this came to be. even so late in the game when so many have already jumped the " evo ship"

production for evo x parts have stopped all over the place, I expect prices to rise by the end of 16 and stock is already running dry on some things. that are not maintenance related.

so just running E85 is not flexfuel. so don't put a type R sticker on a Si, until the work is done.

if you search this site you find out who doing it and see if you can get an appointment.
If i go E85. Is a upgraded clutch required? Iv heard yes and no on this topic. Anyone with personal experience have an opinion?
Old Feb 23, 2016, 12:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by 99gpgtx
If i go E85. Is a upgraded clutch required? Iv heard yes and no on this topic. Anyone with personal experience have an opinion?
Depends on how you drive. I've been at 131whp/94wtq over stock for 2 years now on E85 with my current Evo, since 1,100miles. Now at 19,000 miles, stock clutch.

Track days, lots of WOT runs tuning, etc.

I never launch.

You can see my build thread here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/pr...e-build-s.html

Old Feb 23, 2016, 12:36 PM

Good to hear. Im sitting at 7k miles so no issues yet. Old, right before i bought it @26k miles had its clutch replaced :/ no performance mods. So that kinda scares me

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Still trying to figure out E85 vs Flex Fuel