Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

3 Port Boost Tuning Help Please

Old Nov 13, 2016, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Followup:

Awesome thumbs up to the Buschur team. I assembled the sleeved block and head. Put the engine back in and have around 1600 miles on it. At 500 miles the oil was dropped and there was around a half teaspoon of casting sand in the oil filter that showed after kerosene washing the filter media. a second change at 1000 mi., it was clean.

Using a touch of oil. I'm guessing that it will take some miles for the rings to seat proper. Easy break in up till about 1200 miles and then running more spirited. Wont be able to go back to Dave until spring because winter is almost here, salt and cinder season coming up.

GSC STG2 cams....check! Nice. Competition Clutch...check! Griping owner reviews must have smoked theirs as soon as it was installed. Heavier pedal, nice engagement and bite.

Ran a COBB OTS STG2 map for break in. No surging at all, anywhere, any condition, any time. Out of curiosity I flashed the CB*& flash I left with on the 3 port. Surge was terrible. Went back to the OTS map.

I put in Dave's MBC and bypassed the 3 port. Adjusted it for 24-25psi boost. The OTS map seemed a little more peppier with it. No knocks. I reflashed the "map-of-death" that surged so bad. Where I got surge before (where "I was supposed to downshift to 4th at 3200rpm") there was no hint of surge. I took boost up to 28psi for a few runs. No knock, no surge...at all. In the problem area of 2800-3600 or so range.

Looking for opinions on that one. EBC over MBC and why EBC sucked.

HP Academy even offered a little insight that perhaps the tune was hurried and throttled through a flat track run instead of targeted rpm ranges with resistance dialed into the dyno. Locked maps make it impossible to tell. I'd really like to keep the EBC if someone really knows how to set one up.