Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

BOV question?

Old Nov 22, 2016, 05:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BOV question?

I believe I know the answer and I'm sure everyone will say why do you have a bov. The answer is I bought the car with one on there I didn't put it on.
My question is. Car idles really weird almost stalls out from time to time. I'm pretty sure it's the bov. I remember on my wrx I put one on 10 years ago and it didn't like it. Did the same stuff. Could the bov be the reason my car idles weird? That is the only mo I have for now. Will have accesport tomorrow. Thanks for any input.
Also any maps on accesport that may correct this with a reflash? I couldn't find but may have missed
Thanks
Old Nov 22, 2016, 11:59 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
if its 100 via or 50/50 and its not tuned it will cause idle surge issues, especially after you romped on it and then come to a stop. I would get a arm or synapse dc. with the ap you can edit it for certain ones I believe.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 01:17 PM

I dont know what kind of bov I even have.. It's all blue but doesn't stand out as any I know of.
What is a synapse or arm dc? I tried searching but didn't find much.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 01:18 PM

Maybe I can put a pic up later and someone might know what it is.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
It needs to be a recirculating bov if the car is still on a mass air flow.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 06:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the BOV recirculating or open atmospheric? It should be recirulating unless the car is on some speed density setup.

Have you tried a boost leak test?
Old Mar 19, 2017, 08:19 AM

Anyone know what kind of BOV this is? I am trying to go back to the oem one so I posted this up for trade or for sale in the for sale forum.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
have a question... the guy that had my car before me put an EVO X DV on it. I've recently started having problems with a little loss of power and now I'm getting a weird high pitch hissing noise that eventually turns into an air leak noise around 6k RPM. I've checked everything. Even plugged my boost gauge because the sound can be heard right under the steering wheel. Needless to say it wasn't the boost gauge hose. I'm wanting to try a DIY boost leak test. Any help on how to do that? Or any info on other people having a similar problem?

Thanks
Old Mar 19, 2017, 11:13 AM

Well I don't know but that doesn't answer my question I started this post for. Good luck finding your answer.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by RALLI1
have a question... the guy that had my car before me put an EVO X DV on it. I've recently started having problems with a little loss of power and now I'm getting a weird high pitch hissing noise that eventually turns into an air leak noise around 6k RPM. I've checked everything. Even plugged my boost gauge because the sound can be heard right under the steering wheel. Needless to say it wasn't the boost gauge hose. I'm wanting to try a DIY boost leak test. Any help on how to do that? Or any info on other people having a similar problem?

Thanks
I dont meant to get off topic from the OP, but search on here! theres a great write up. If not this is a fantastic one thats affordable. http://turboboostleaktesters.com/
Old Mar 19, 2017, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by redlightrunner
if its 100 via or 50/50 and its not tuned it will cause idle surge issues, especially after you romped on it and then come to a stop. I would get a arm or synapse dc. with the ap you can edit it for certain ones I believe.
This is your answer^^. if you are not on speed density (no maf), your car will not like anything other than full recirc. the BOV you show is a VTA (vented to atmosphere). you need one to recirc back to the intake before the turbo inlet. A tune for that BOV will not do anything as you are still running a maf.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 06:05 PM

I realize it's a bent to atmosphere BOV valve my new question is what brand does it look like and is it just for this car or is it universal.
I'm trying to sell it or trade for a stock Evo x one. I don't want one period it was just on the car.
It used to Idle surge after I romped on it almost sounded like it was going to die. Then after I reflashed with accesport I e never had any idle issues ever again. Kinda weird but it fixednot.
I just don't want an aftermarket one period I just want stock. So I posted it for sale or trade in the classified forums.

I'd like to know if it can be used for other cars that way I can try and sell it to anybody, Craigslist eBay or whatever.
Thanks for input everyone.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Looks like a turbo XS RFL BOV. Painted blue.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 08:20 PM

You know I think you're right I did some research and they did have blue ones in the older models, andnit is really freaking loud. probably is thanks.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 05:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
I agree, that definitely looks like the RFL.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BOV question?