Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Failing DEQ test, help needed

Old Feb 28, 2017, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Failing DEQ test, help needed

Hi,
My car failed DEQ test. This car has stage 3 mods with test pipe and FMIC.
Trying to pass the DEQ test, I am considering getting a cobb high flow cat and do a Cobb stage 3 flush. My question is, by doing so, will I pass the DEQ test?
What are my options? I try not to spend too much time, if I can just pass with buying a Cobb HFC. Any input is appreciated.
Thank you, Sammy
Old Mar 1, 2017, 05:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
You should be able to get through OR emissions with a good HFC. It doesn't look like they dyno test ODBII cars so it's just a matter of getting all of the emissions OBD tests on the car to switch to "OK/Ready"

You might be able to space out the downstream O2 sensor if the HFC doesn't quite get you there.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Go to a tuner and have them fix the the issue for you. No reason you shouldn't pass, I don't have a catalytic converter on any car and pass emissions in PA.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Or, you know, stop poisoning the air we all have to breath to get 10hp out of your street car :P
Old Mar 1, 2017, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

We might as well all become vegetarians too, since cows produce more emissions than cars lol
Old Mar 1, 2017, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you please elaberate what you mean by space out downstream O2 sensor?
Thank you
Originally Posted by splattj
You should be able to get through OR emissions with a good HFC. It doesn't look like they dyno test ODBII cars so it's just a matter of getting all of the emissions OBD tests on the car to switch to "OK/Ready"

You might be able to space out the downstream O2 sensor if the HFC doesn't quite get you there.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sammyrex
Can you please elaberate what you mean by space out downstream O2 sensor?
Thank you
Sure. to put it simply, you can space out the O2 sensor that is located on/past the catalytic converter so that it samples less of the exhaust gasses and therefore registers lower emissions. It usually works well if you have a high-flow cat that isn't quite getting you there.
Amazon Amazon

As mentioned above, while I don't support this option for street cars, you can modify the stock ECU to disable the rear O2 and heater circuit and still show ready for emissions. Any good tuner can do this for you for less than the cost of a high-flow test pipe.

Originally Posted by 02modlanceroz
We might as well all become vegetarians too, since cows produce more emissions than cars lol
Yeah, if you're just talking about greenhouse gasses, sure. But NOx is directly attributed to breathing problems, especially for those with asthma, and is a known carcinogen so it's a little more nefarious than your Grand Mac you inhaled for lunch as far as its impact on public health.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

The ets test pipe actually has an extension piece for the o2 sensor to keep it from throwing a code. Or you could just go get a pack of spark plug anti-foulers. Drill one out with a 1/2" bit. Screw that one into the non modified fouler. Then screw both of them on the o2 sensor. You can pick up a pack of 2 anti-foulers for 10-15 bucks