Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Gears grinding on evo x?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2008, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gears grinding on evo x?

If you own the car or have driven it:

Do you notice any transmission issues?

There's a thread in a subforum that says there's already 1-2 shift issues on a brand new car. I was ready to buy an X till I read this. Is this true? I don't want an automatic MR.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 02:00 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
Hey bugnot,

I wouldn't call it a grinding, but more of a new transmission notchiness in second and third. To me, a grind is something that occurs when synchros are worn or you are at wide open throttle and get a really bad grind on upshift.

What we were seeing is notchiness in second and third that is only on low rpm upshifts. If I rev my car to at least 4000rpm, drive spiritedly, downshift, or even shift slowly, this does not happen.

I think I will give it time to loosen up to see what happens in a month or so. If it does not improve, I will try BG Synchroshift. Honestly, its not really worrying, just notchy. The best bet might be to drive one yourself and see what you think. By all accounts, this is an improved IX transmission with stronger internals, more synchros, and shorter gearing. It should prove to be stout. Hope this answers your questions.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 02:22 PM

Noize,

thanks for the reply. I drive a g35 and the 2nd gear has a "clunk" also at low rpms and it kinda drives me nuts. Then I almost baught an M coupe for around 40K until I read they have a 1-2 shift problems on many of them. It seems like a lot of performance cars just don't have good transmissions. I will have to test the X.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Thats the thing, these stout transmissions are overbuilt and designed to be shifted 4k rpms and up.
almost all performance cars have a notchy transmission.
shoot I drove the last gen. M3 and that had a fairly notchy tranny.
just the nature of the game I suppose.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 04:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Give it some time before making judgements.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 11:28 PM
Evolved Member

Mine shifts like butter.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Has anyone that has had grinds checked their tranny oil level? Sorry - just an idea because I know everything always thinks their car is filled up perfectly from the factory. And yea I know it's a batch to do and my finger is too big to stick in the hole (giggity), so I usually use a Q-tip or something. Over the winter I've noticed my IX tranny likes to be right at the fill hole and not a half-inch or so under. I know it's not the same tranny but it may be worth a shot, idk.

I kind of agree with BCHappy too, I think these high-perf tranny's will always be notchy unless shifted at higher rpm.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Exclamation notchiness.. = give time.. hahahaha

Originally Posted by Noize
Hey bugnot,

I wouldn't call it a grinding, but more of a new transmission notchiness in second and third. To me, a grind is something that occurs when synchros are worn or you are at wide open throttle and get a really bad grind on upshift.

What we were seeing is notchiness in second and third that is only on low rpm upshifts. If I rev my car to at least 4000rpm, drive spiritedly, downshift, or even shift slowly, this does not happen.

I think I will give it time to loosen up to see what happens in a month or so. If it does not improve, I will try BG Synchroshift. Honestly, its not really worrying, just notchy. The best bet might be to drive one yourself and see what you think. By all accounts, this is an improved IX transmission with stronger internals, more synchros, and shorter gearing. It should prove to be stout. Hope this answers your questions.
Right..!! To say you have to drive in some sort of way spiritedly and rev to 4K to be contempt with the way your tranny shifts just doesn't cut the slack chief... especially from the factory..

No doubt the tranny gears are shorter and does feel a bit stronger but the "notchiness" were talking about here is a clear sign of a FLAW.. As if Mitsu left something out.. dont tell me this is the new trend in Trannies found on new performance vehicles.. "notchiness"

Come on guys quit trying to go around, slowly but surely tiny things like this are popping up... I've driven the X BTW.. so am not just talking SMACK.. and am sure more things will rise within months..
Old Feb 2, 2008, 10:58 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Redline06
Right..!! To say you have to drive in some sort of way spiritedly and rev to 4K to be contempt with the way your tranny shifts just doesn't cut the slack chief... especially from the factory..

No doubt the tranny gears are shorter and does feel a bit stronger but the "notchiness" were talking about here is a clear sign of a FLAW.. As if Mitsu left something out.. dont tell me this is the new trend in Trannies found on new performance vehicles.. "notchiness"

Come on guys quit trying to go around, slowly but surely tiny things like this are popping up... I've driven the X BTW.. so am not just talking SMACK.. and am sure more things will rise within months..
You need to chill out. Descriptions of things like this hard to convey over a forum through typing. I had a really bad 4th gear grind manifest eventually in my VIII; it was cured by BG Synchroshift. This notchiness is nothing like that grind.

Instead of being condescending to try to show your X gearbox knowledge, maybe you could share your experience and opinion since you've driven a X too? What did the transmission in the car you drove feel like? Did you get grinds?
Old Feb 4, 2008, 06:03 AM
Evolving Member

I agree as my car does the exact same thing and I think it is mainly due to it being a brand new transmission. Because I would find it hard to believe that mitsubishi or any car maker would put out a car with a shot transmission.

Originally Posted by Noize
Hey bugnot,

Old Feb 4, 2008, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

It will be interesting to see if the issue/feature worsens or gets better when people start putting additional miles on their cars (5-10k).
Old Feb 4, 2008, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

i have 3k miles on my car.... the tranny feels like the same notchiness my gst and my evo viii had, it hasnt gotten better or worse over time.
like noize said, eventually ill switch to some bg synchroshift 2 and it will feel better.

BG Synchroshift is what mitsu dealers use as a factory replacement... so its slightly better than what it starts with, but not as good as 2.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tokeone
i have 3k miles on my car.... the tranny feels like the same notchiness my gst and my evo viii had, it hasnt gotten better or worse over time.
like noize said, eventually ill switch to some bg synchroshift 2 and it will feel better.

BG Synchroshift is what mitsu dealers use as a factory replacement... so its slightly better than what it starts with, but not as good as 2.
This is what I hate about new cars.. glitches or defects.. Why should you HAVE to upgrade to something better and spend even more money just to make it drive like it should have from the factory??

When the P0300 code was discovered in the VIII, I told myself I would trade the car in if I EVER got that code!! It's been the most annoying glitch for the VIII generation I can think of. Luckily for me, I haven't triggered the code..yet!

Last edited by BOOSTEZ; Feb 4, 2008 at 06:48 PM.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Redline you're such a hater, it's stupid. Just go away. Every magazine loves the car, the tuners are all impressed with it, stop whning. You're just looking for reasons to not like the x, looking for things to be able to say that your 9 is better. The notchiness is something found in all performance cars, my sti has a notchy feel, and that's got a better tranny than any evo ever made. The X is an incredible car, and your 9 is too. Why is it that you people feel the need to complain about the car and wish for it to fail. So they added some comfort and amenities, it's called marketing strategy. It's what consumers want. Do you think that people buy M3's just because they're fast? It's the added refinement that comes with it. The X is a better overall car, the magazines all say it, the tuners all agree, the pros have spoken. These people make their living driving the **** out of the worlds fastest, best cars and then writing articles about their impressions. They have extensive racing experience, and knowledge that can only be obtained by having had the privelage to drive the range of cars that they have. You're a nobody, who gives a **** what you think? You think that your opinion of the car matters? Tell you what, why don't you write road and track, edmunds, motor trend, car and driver, and automobile magazine, and tell them that they don't know what they're talking about. Enlighten them with your years of extensive, and apparently more valid, experience as the "forum expert."

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Feb 4, 2008 at 07:03 PM.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh I'm sure boostez will chime in any second and say something about how the x sucks and I don't know what I'm talking about... Ugh. I'm tired of this. Back to evox, where I don't have to listen to this crap.

Quick Reply: Gears grinding on evo x?