Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: EVO X Transmission Problem POLL
Notchy, grinding, or difficult to engage gears (all the time)
40.07%
Notchy, grinding, or difficult to engage gears (only when car is cold)
37.62%
Difficult to engage Reverse gear (cold or warm)
8.50%
No problems at all
13.80%
Voters: 1717. You may not vote on this poll

The official Evo X notchy/grinding transmission thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2008, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A little notchy going into 2nd, and little more notchy when going into 3rd. I've become slightly more agressive with my shifting and they just click in place now, with minimal notchiness.

After the car is warm, there is no sign of notchiness.

I'm coming from a 06 civic si, and if you guys think you have 3rd gear problems....
Old Mar 23, 2008, 12:36 PM

they replaced the entire transmission, it sounded as if the clutch wasn't even engaged when you shift, a constant grind, it went quickly from notchy to grind, they said they could not tell what specifically was the transmission problem until they got it back to the factory - shop. I am again having notchy but it is not - at times - as bad as it was before. I have less than 200 miles on my new tranny, and the old tranny had slightly over 1100.

Last edited by tinkerbellevo; Mar 23, 2008 at 12:38 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 12:40 PM

Any idea how many evos have been sold?
Old Mar 23, 2008, 12:53 PM

I only have the problem from 1st to 2nd and only when its cold. One thing I figured out is before I go any where I run it through the gears a couple of times pretty quickly. That kinda helps a little. But once the tranny is warm its just fine.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

Has anyone gotten a different answer then, it is normal or mistu is working on it from the dealership?
Old Mar 24, 2008, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ej257gd
Has anyone gotten a different answer then, it is normal or mistu is working on it from the dealership?
Other then the entire tranny replacement tinkerbellevo had done.....? I haven't heard anything yet but keeping my eyes and ears open on possible solutions.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

Man. tinkerbellevo tranny must have been grinding like a ****, for them to replace it that quick.....

I guess, I can't do the power mods until, this get straigtened out.

But I can put my wide fenders on until then. WOOOT!!!!
Old Mar 24, 2008, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
The VIIIs and IX tranny's had notchy 1-2 and 2-3 shifts also. Always when cold (of course) and sometimes when warmed up. Also the couple WRX I've had have been notchy, but not as notchy as the EVO. Seems to just come with AWD tranny territory.

I found that sometimes using high quality gear oil would reduce/eliminate it.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, mine is finally starting to loosen up a bit, and the notchiness is minimal now once it's warmed up. I think that tinkerbell just got really unlucky and got a lemon tranny. That sux. Well, the new one will probably be notchy like everyone else's, but nothing more. There are thousands of evo 8/9s with notchy trannies with 100k plus miles and are fine. The X's should be the same, although if Mitsu releases a fix for this I'm all for it. Well T, I wish you good luck with your new tranny, but on the bright side that's what a warranty is for, right?

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Mar 24, 2008 at 09:53 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Evo_Kid, check PM please.

Last edited by Noize; Mar 25, 2008 at 03:21 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
Well, mine is finally starting to loosen up a bit, and the notchiness is minimal now once it's warmed up. I think that tinkerbell just got really unlucky and got a lemon tranny. That sux. Well, the new one will probably be notchy like everyone else's, but nothing more. There are thousands of evo 8/9s with notchy trannies with 100k plus miles and are fine. The X's should be the same, although if Mitsu releases a fix for this I'm all for it. Well T, I wish you good luck with your new tranny, but on the bright side that's what a warranty is for, right?
Yes, in all the AWD cars I have had, the notchyness does seem to get less when the tranny "breaks-in" more.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

Has this been sent to Mitsubishi yet?
Old Mar 26, 2008, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

I am planning to send it on monday. Please vote....
Old Mar 28, 2008, 12:39 PM

Well yes, my tranny was grinding like a ****, before they replaced it, it was with every shift, good news is my $40,000 with its second transmission and like 1550 miles is finally breaking in i do believe, my notchyness is settling, hopefully for good but well see. My stereo on the other hand, on the AM/FM radio really has alot of static. The satelite radio is fine, and of course the dealership reports it "cannot duplicate the problem" i told them they were deaf and I wanted the mitsu rep to listen when he came back to town.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^Good, glad to hear that the notchiness is settling down. Mine was extremely notchy unless speed shifting for the first 1000 miles, and then it just started going away. It's strange, but at first the 2nd to 3rd was really bad, and the 1st to 2nd was just kinda bad. Now my 2nd to 3rd feels pretty good, anf the 1-2 has stayed the same. Hey, either way it feels better as it's gotten broken in a bit, so I'm content I guess. I still wuld like mitsu to figure out what's causing this and why some people have more trouble with it than others. Is it a poor fluid choice by mitsu, is it actually mechanical? What is it and why did one person'stranny get so bad that it had to be replaced? What was different in my tranny versus her's that caused her's to get slightly worse over time and mine to get slightly better? Both started off the same, like all X's seem to. Mitsu, what do you have to say? I know you're reading this and I think that you owe an explanation.

Quick Reply: The official Evo X notchy/grinding transmission thread