Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

MBC install, need your thoughts

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2008, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MBC install, need your thoughts

it started off with this simple purchase and install of a AMS MBC. I received the AMS MBC which looked like garbage, Something that was made at home depot 30 minutes before i ordered it.

We installed the AMS MBC according to the directions on the AMS paperwork. We hooked the vacuum from the wastegate to the controller and then into the BOV vacuum. The AMS controller failed. It did not regulate boost at all. The car shot way past 30psi in 1st gear completely closed. No Good.

I tried turning it around thinking that the vacuum was hooked up backwards.. no go.

My friend James said he had a turbo XS MBC I could have. I picked that up today. I did some research and found a thread that said to hook it up exactly like I had it. I did that and the boost stayed at no more than 15 lbs no matter how I adjusted the controller. Fail again.

I got on Turbo XS's site and they showed to connect it from the wastegate directly to the vacuum on the turbo housing.

What I did was connect it from the wastegate to the controller to the hot pipe nipple that is right where the UICP connects to the turbo... I was no able to adjust boost

From doing some reading I should have been able to set it around 22psi and hold boost to redline more accurately. When i went and did numerous test runs I was able to only get boost to spike 22-23 than taper down to 15-16 but the needle was bouncing crazy. I have Defi Imperial with memory playback so i was able to re watch every pull I did to see how to adjust the boost. I thought I could expect to hold at least around 17-19 psi with a MBC according to AMS and others who have installed one.

My questions are-
1. How’s does my MBC connection method Sound?
2. Doesn’t the boost reading towards redline seem low?

photo of the MBC in the engine bay.

the Defi. (notice teh gauge controller below the climate control)
Old May 26, 2008, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well heres the update.. Not sure if anyone has read this or not.. haha.

the har flutter towards redline is wastegate flutter. It seems that the wastegate was opening arround 6k rpm's. I decided that this coudl be cause by a leaking vaccum hose. I found the one i believe to be a problem and put a clamp on it. I have not test drove yet but i will report back. I hope some evo X driver can use some of this information.