Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Help. Need dimensions and weight of X engine.

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2008, 05:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help. Need dimensions and weight of X engine.

I am embarking on my biggest project to date. I am trying to recreate my kart racing days in a car (sort of) I am building what is commonly called a Locost. It is based on the Lotus 7. Keeping weight as low as possible is the goal. I was thinking that the X engine might work perfectly if it is not too tall. If anyone has the dimensions and weight of this engine, it would be much appreciated. If it is too tall or I can not find or make a bell housing to bolt to a RWD tranny, I will probably be going with a Hyabusa or R1 engine. For the curious, this is what a Locost looks like.

Last edited by EvoTech; May 29, 2008 at 05:24 AM.
Old May 29, 2008, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ED for what your gonna pay for a X engine, y not go with an SRT 4 engine? There are already stand alones out for it (which your gonna need), Theres more aftermarket support, its still rear mount turbo (if thats what your looking for) and its going to be probably less then 1/2 the cost. Regardless of what engine you put in there, anything with 300whp is gonna be FUN, but it might be more feasible to put the srt4 motor in there then the evo x motor. PLUS, YOU DONT HAVE TO DEAL WITH ALL THE BS OF X MOTOR. Like sensors, limp mode, etc...
Old May 29, 2008, 08:23 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Go with a 4G63 out of an IX. Open source tuning, more proven, not that much more heavy.

Is this a kit car, like an Ultima, or do you have a bare shell that you will be retrofitting this stuff into?
Old May 29, 2008, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scheides
Go with a 4G63 out of an IX. Open source tuning, more proven, not that much more heavy.
+1
Old May 29, 2008, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scheides

Is this a kit car, like an Ultima, or do you have a bare shell that you will be retrofitting this stuff into?
I have an Evo 8 motor on the engine stand that I am considering. It is a little too tall and a little heavier than I wanted, but I am still undecided. The car is not a kit. I am building it literally from scratch. There are a lot of plans and CAD designs available to help me out. Next up is learning to use Solid works to design some suspension pieces. This car is huge in Europe and is now catching on in the United States 50 years later. It is a brilliant design that has a proven history. Only problem is aerodynamics once you pass 130MPH.

Steve, I will look into the SRT4 idea and find out what that weighs. The only reason I was thinking Evo X was that weight is the primary concern. Right now I am kinda leaning toward an R1 bike engine. Shifting a car at 12K sounds like a lot of fun.
Old May 29, 2008, 07:10 PM
Evolving Member

get a slightly damaged elise for cheap...must be similiar ride to that super 7
Old May 29, 2008, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoTech
I have an Evo 8 motor on the engine stand that I am considering. It is a little too tall and a little heavier than I wanted, but I am still undecided. The car is not a kit. I am building it literally from scratch. There are a lot of plans and CAD designs available to help me out. Next up is learning to use Solid works to design some suspension pieces. This car is huge in Europe and is now catching on in the United States 50 years later. It is a brilliant design that has a proven history. Only problem is aerodynamics once you pass 130MPH.

Steve, I will look into the SRT4 idea and find out what that weighs. The only reason I was thinking Evo X was that weight is the primary concern. Right now I am kinda leaning toward an R1 bike engine. Shifting a car at 12K sounds like a lot of fun.
go with a 05+ gsxr 1000 motor then, more power
Old May 30, 2008, 03:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Steve@NrgTech
go with a 05+ gsxr 1000 motor then, more power
I've been watching a lot of the super ama racing lately and they have been talking a lot about this motor and how amazing it is... not to mention I'm guessing it is quite a bit more compact than an X or a SRT4 motor. I know here in vegas there is a Thunder Roadster series at the 3/8ths mile track and they use a Yamaha 1250cc engine - not legal in US for bikes though...

http://www.600racing.com/racing_seri...der_roadsters/

there is a quick link to those cars. I'm too tired to go farther for ya
Old May 30, 2008, 04:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Gexxer
I've been watching a lot of the super ama racing lately and they have been talking a lot about this motor and how amazing it is... not to mention I'm guessing it is quite a bit more compact than an X or a SRT4 motor. I know here in vegas there is a Thunder Roadster series at the 3/8ths mile track and they use a Yamaha 1250cc engine - not legal in US for bikes though...

http://www.600racing.com/racing_seri...der_roadsters/

there is a quick link to those cars. I'm too tired to go farther for ya
Thanks for the info. I will look into that engine. It will probably be a very good choice. 600 racing is a topnotch builder and what they have done with the legends cars is nothing short of brilliant. The problem with many bike engines is the design of the oil pickup. When placed in a car they are being asked to sustain G forces and loads not seen on a bike which can lead to oil scavaging problems. Some engines like the R1 don't have this problem. This is probably a similar design. The Busa and GSXR require a very expensive dry sump which is not in my budget.

BUMP for the weight of a X engine.