Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Need help installing the AEM intake!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2008, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help installing the AEM intake!!

Installing my Aem intake I ran into something I was not to sure about. I was wondering if anyone here could help me out..

For those of you who have installed this kit, its on the directions picture# M
"Disconnect the 2 vacuum lines connected to the waste gate solenoid, it connects to the inlet tube"

Now which lines do i take out? it appears that there are two sets of lines with 2 lines that connect into 1. The crappy picture AEM provides does not show anything but those 2 sets of lines. so i just kinda unplugged the hoses so i could remove the stock intake tube.

now I am at picture "N" which says " connect the 2 5/32" ID hoses to the 2 nipples on the wastegate actuator exposed in step "M"

This is where I am stuck and I know its something really easy and little for probly most people but I am not 100% sure so any guidance/ help would be spectacular and worthy of this
Old Aug 1, 2008, 08:13 PM
Evolving Member

I don't have an AEM intake, however, I did build my own intake tube, and from looking at the instructions on AEM's website, it looks like they want you to connect the two aluminum transition couplers (terms taken directly from thier instructions, picture in step j page 9) to the two vacuum lines coming off the boost control solenoids which were removed from the OEM intake tube.

In the text in "step n" on page 10 they use the word "wastegate actuator" which I believe is incorrect terminology. You should not have to disconnect the vacuum line between the wastegate actuator and boost control solenoids. Those two lines on the AEM intake tube should go to the boost control solenoids using the lines you disconnected to remove the OEM tube.

reference for anyone else:
http://www.aempower.com/images/produ...s%2021-678.pdf
Old Aug 2, 2008, 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks! makes sense and that link to the color pictures is bettter then the crappy black n white copy i got with the kit!
Old Aug 2, 2008, 11:16 AM
Evolving Member

I got a little confused too at that picture when I put mine in. and yes the instructions suck, but its the line that attaches straight to the inlet tube to the solenoid like it says, you will eventually remove both the vacuum lines anyways so might as well take them off
Old Aug 2, 2008, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

Ok I am still confused.. Enjo maybe you can help me out? You live in HB just like me.
I got a LRG tee shirt fresh in a bagg depending what size you wear or I can give you 20 bucks!!!
Old Aug 2, 2008, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, I read through the instructions, and what's different with this kit than most is how the bcs lines are run to the inlet tube. You disconnect the hoses from the wastegate solenoids (also called boost control solenoids, or BCS) at the "tee" section where the two hoses meet to form 1 hose; the 1 hose that runs to the turbo inlet.

On the AEM kit, unlike the stock inlet, there are two nipples instead of just one. You connect the lines running from the wastegate solenoid independently to each nipple on the new inlet supplied with the kit. You use the two 5/16 hoses attached to the nipples on the AEM inlet tube, stick the aluminum transition couplers inside the hoses, then connect each hose to the two loose 5/32 hoses that are still attached to the wastegate solenoids.

Then, just connect the pcv tube to the inlet and all the hose stuff is done. Oh, and for reference, the wastegate solenoid tubes are the ones that have the white arrows on them, NOT THE RED ONES. Those go to the turbo and wastegate actuator. The instructions mention to disconnect the lines at the wastegate actuator, but it's a typo. They mean wastegate solenoid. I hope this was helpful. Good luck.

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Aug 2, 2008 at 04:29 PM.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

Great news! figured it out! I had one hose unplugged that shouldnt have been (Duh)Now everything is working fine!!!!
Intake sounds slightly louder then stock (probly like a drop-in) my butt dyno does not tell me much! It usually does not unless we are talking 30whp plus :grin:

THANKS Everyone for the help!!! O0
Old Dec 8, 2008, 12:56 AM
Evolving Member

man i broke one of the nipple where the sensor is at from trying to take out the vacuum line!! kinda had to krazy clue it back to put on the aem vacuum line.
but my BOV is kinda touching the bar so it rattles too
Old Apr 20, 2009, 07:44 PM
Evolving Member

So I installed my AEM intake last night. Here are my comments:

First, thanks to this thread, I used the stock foam from the stock airbox. Worked like a charm. Without it, the inlet duct does not fit snug. Thanks for the tip!! Couple of things I noticed. The tubes that lead from the inlet to the BCS are a little long. I looped them around to make sure there were no kinks, but I would almost rather cut them to a correct length. Also, the filter does make contact inside the box at the end but I don't think its a major problem. Before I tightened all the clamps down, the BOV was resting against the positive terminal connector. So I repositioned everything so that there was nothing contacting anything it shouldn't. I then tightened everything down. Its all good now.

The engine definitely accelerates smoother. I'm looking forward to how it works with a catback and a reflash. That should be going in this week.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 07:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by smanders
So I installed my AEM intake last night. Here are my comments:

First, thanks to this thread, I used the stock foam from the stock airbox. Worked like a charm. Without it, the inlet duct does not fit snug. Thanks for the tip!! Couple of things I noticed. The tubes that lead from the inlet to the BCS are a little long. I looped them around to make sure there were no kinks, but I would almost rather cut them to a correct length. Also, the filter does make contact inside the box at the end but I don't think its a major problem. Before I tightened all the clamps down, the BOV was resting against the positive terminal connector. So I repositioned everything so that there was nothing contacting anything it shouldn't. I then tightened everything down. Its all good now.

The engine definitely accelerates smoother. I'm looking forward to how it works with a catback and a reflash. That should be going in this week.
Hi guys,

I'm getting my aem intake sometime this week......after reading this thread.....it seems pretty confusing. If one of you doesnt mind, could someone post up pics on how its supposed to look. Thanks