Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Warning Light

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2008, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warning Light

Im getting an intermittent warning on the information screed display. the warning is a large red triangle with a ! in the center; it reads "check" underneath the triangle. it has only occurred at low speed while accelerating (hard or easy) and the car shutters and the engine bogs down. its happened about 3 times. the owners manual (pg 3-188) says the cause could be from a worn timing chain.

Im using a works drop in, and an UR test pipe. the installation of the test pipe was less that smooth and i screwed up the thread on the cat O2 sensor. the O2 sensor fell out as i was driving on the highway. it was all chewed up from the road so i did something stupid and cut it off. it wasnt too long before the SES light came on.Im not sure if the O2 in the cat was being used by the ECU for anything and im wondering if that is the problem.

it seems unrelated because the warning has only come on within the past 3 weeks and i been driving with out the O2 sensor for 2.5 months. any advice?
Old Oct 27, 2008, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

lol so you cut off your o2 sensor on your $30k car? i'd get one put back on, doesn't seem like the problem, when the cel is on from that sensor it doesn't hinder performance on the car. is it the traction control kicking in? it's only happened to me once. but if not, start throwing stock parts back on and see if that's the problem. if not take it to the dealer.

Last edited by JoeyM3; Oct 27, 2008 at 07:13 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 07:55 PM
SiC
Evolved Member

Joey is right, that is the traction control kicking in. If you don't want that then turn the ASC off. As soon as you break traction the ASC is made to kick in and it will take control of your throttle and apply brakes to control the traction. Hit the ASC Off button and it will turn off the throttle control. Press the ASC button for 3 seconds and it will turn ASC completely off (throttle and brakes).

The bogging that you experienced was the ASC pulling back your throttle.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 08:08 PM

thanks guys

that seems strange that it would be the ASC. each time it has happened i was driving in a straight line and not even accelerating that hard. the tires were not slipping at all! maybe the ASC is malfunctioning?
Old Oct 27, 2008, 09:16 PM
SiC
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by coolarrow
thanks guys

that seems strange that it would be the ASC. each time it has happened i was driving in a straight line and not even accelerating that hard. the tires were not slipping at all! maybe the ASC is malfunctioning?
Hmm, that is odd maybe it is malfunctioning or did you hit any pot holes or bumps?
Old Oct 28, 2008, 05:53 AM

ive hit a few bumps; nothing hard enough to break anything. at least i would think not......ill try turning off the ASC and see if it still occurs.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 06:19 AM
SiC
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by coolarrow
ive hit a few bumps; nothing hard enough to break anything. at least i would think not......ill try turning off the ASC and see if it still occurs.
What I meant was did you hit any bumps or pot holes when the light came on? The ASC gets activated when it senses one or more of the wheels are at different speeds from the others.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 06:31 AM
Evolving Member

this happened to a few people a while ago... turns out their ASC was working improperly and they needed to take their car in o get fixed.

Seach a bit and I'm sure you can find the threads.

From what it sounds like yours isn't working properly and even under low throttle it is saying you are losing traction...
Old Oct 28, 2008, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

damn, you just cut the o2 sensor off? Why not just unplug it until you could buy a new one?
Old Oct 28, 2008, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Steve@NrgTech
damn, you just cut the o2 sensor off? Why not just unplug it until you could buy a new one?
yea........should have done that
Old Oct 28, 2008, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by SiC
What I meant was did you hit any bumps or pot holes when the light came on? The ASC gets activated when it senses one or more of the wheels are at different speeds from the others.
oh, no i was on level pavement. just driving my happy *** in a straight line
Old Oct 28, 2008, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

did it have the picture of the curvy road? if not then it is not asc
Old Oct 28, 2008, 10:36 AM

no curvy road. it was only the red triangle with the "!" in the middle, and it read "check" underneath the triangle
Old Nov 6, 2008, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JoeyM3
lol so you cut off your o2 sensor on your $30k car? i'd get one put back on, doesn't seem like the problem, when the cel is on from that sensor it doesn't hinder performance on the car. is it the traction control kicking in? it's only happened to me once. but if not, start throwing stock parts back on and see if that's the problem. if not take it to the dealer.
That's completely wrong. If the engine system is faulted, the ASC system will NOT function properly at all. There are technical reasons, too many to list here. Test pipes aren't meant to be used for the road. Put a high flow cat on, and replace the factory O2 sensor.